Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Oct 2018 (Friday) 11:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New laptop: Macbook or Win10?

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,591 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 19, 2018 00:20 |  #16

davesrose wrote in post #18753998 (external link)
I'm not aware of 13" laptops that are UHD resolution. Part of it is that most 13" laptops are advertised as light notebooks and don't have dedicated graphics, and 13" doesn't need that kind of pixel pitch. For 15", I think most current offerings with a dedicated graphics card can handle UHD just fine (I know there are some arguments for the latest games and how much video RAM you need...in that case, you may need to reduce resolution for optimal 60fps newest games).

I recently got a Lenovo Yoga with UHD touchscreen, I7 processor, 16GB RAM, and 512GB solid state drive. I bought it to be my portable computer. I've never had a hiccup with 2D graphics. I also liked the 2-in-1 feature and that I can illustrate with a Wacom stylus. Windows 10 is also a better PC OS for 4K: it has some nice compatibility features for what apps you have that might not support "highDPI" (scaling fonts up to the bigger scale you set with Windows Desktop).

There are a few options out there for 13" UHD screens, but not many. The Surface products are all pretty close to 4K, though with a different (better, imo) aspect ratio.

I second your findings on Windows 10, also the usefulness of a touchscreen actually has me considering selling off my 13" to trade up to the 15" Surface Book 2 as I now never touch my desktop for editing purposes... the pen support on the Book is just way too useful, it makes editing much more enjoyable for me and it's barely slower than my desktop for most tasks anyway.

tcphoto1 wrote in post #18754089 (external link)
I’ve only owned Macs so I’m extremely biased. I would suggest a MBP with 16GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD for processing and editing images. The last one I bought was from Apples Refurbished Store and it arrived as new and hasn’t disappointed me in the two years I’ve owned it. I think that 8GB may disappoint you and cannot be upgraded by the user.

I fixed it for you ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,348 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 19, 2018 10:36 |  #17

Whatever makes you feel better. I'd be hard pressed to remember the last time I saw a computer on set that wasn't a Mac.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,591 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 19, 2018 11:23 |  #18

tcphoto1 wrote in post #18754368 (external link)
Whatever makes you feel better. I'd be hard pressed to remember the last time I saw a computer on set that wasn't a Mac.

If the argument is "buy this product because other people use this product", that's a really flimsy argument.

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,375 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 19, 2018 11:28 |  #19

Apple has a singular formative marketing department.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,210 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 19, 2018 11:41 |  #20

Keltab wrote in post #18739753 (external link)
I have had fewer issues with my 2013 Mac than the Win systems I have been using. Nothing horrible on the Win side, just much less time invested upgrading and dealing with security stuff on the Mac side. It’s a very stable platform, and works ell for me.

I am an exclusive Win user - not because I consider them superior, but because I am too lazy to maintain an other OS. But I really can see where Keltab is coming from. The current MS Win10 upgrade policy leads to all sorts of little hickups, making this OS 'needy' for continuous attention. But, you generally get more bang for the buck with Win systems.

Donate if you love POTN

Bilymac2320
31 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Dec 13, 2018 19:38 as a reply to  @ drmaxx's post |  #21

My wife and I, both switched our home computers from PC to Mac. Although we both still us PC based systems at work, we will never go back to a PC at home. For us, Mac is more intuitive, and for me, it works great with Lightroom.

ct1co2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,488 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 14, 2018 09:14 |  #22

After a lot of research and trips to Best Buy playing around with different machines, I ended up ordering a MacBook Pro 13”, I5 quad core, 16gb RAM, & 512SSD, which will arrive in a few days. Looking forward to it’s arrival and spending some holiday time off getting familiar with the new machine.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Σ18-35 | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

Keltab
912 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 14, 2018 15:36 as a reply to  @ ct1co2's post |  #23

I hope you enjoy your new machine!
Get out and take pics, then use it to process and share ;-)a

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 14, 2018 19:41 |  #24

Mac all the way.. Once you go Mac you never go back.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,591 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited 10 months ago by EverydayGetaway.

Dec 15, 2018 01:18 |  #25

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18771049 (external link)

Really? Cause I went Mac, swore it was the greatest for years, then went back, and now I have absolutely no interest in Mac.

texkam
1,375 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 15, 2018 01:31 |  #26

I've done Mac, do PC and also Linux. All have their merits. All have their shortcomings.

Pippan
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 15, 2018 02:48 |  #27

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18771049 (external link)

I'm with you on that one. Had to use Windows at work for a couple of decades. Hated the buggy, virus-ridden crap. Went Mac at home in 2005. Run my family business now and still need Windows for our booking system so have 2 Windows (Lenovo) laptops along with 3 iMacs. Still hate Microsoft with a passion. Happy to pay the Apple premium. YGWYPF in so many ways.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2018 22:50 as a reply to  @ Pippan's post |  #28

Amen...I have a windows machine for years... always hate mac's until I got one and I just can't believe what I been missing for all these years.

Think of a windows machine as a disposable computer a couple of years it ready to go in the trash.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

texkam
1,375 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 16, 2018 23:46 |  #29

Apple makes it easy by locking up their proprietary hardware making it impossible to buy cheap garbage. You pay more to work in a tightly controlled, tightly integrated ecosystem. Hardware quality in the PC world can vary. It is indeed possible to buy cheap garbage, thus making the above type of comment common. Buying hardware of comparable quality eliminates this misconception. As far as the OS is concerned, I've used the Adobe Creative Suite on both the Mac and PC platform. As long as the software is getting what it needs from a specs standpoint, I have found the performance identical. Photoshop runs fast and smooth on a high end PC too. Not so much on a low spec, cheap garbage PC.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,591 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 17, 2018 01:25 |  #30

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18772300 (external link)
Amen...I have a windows machine for years... always hate mac's until I got one and I just can't believe what I been missing for all these years.

Think of a windows machine as a disposable computer a couple of years it ready to go in the trash.

Every component of my PC is at least 2 years old, my CPU is 8 years old... yet it still keeps up with modern mid to high end PCs.

Just like with a Mac, if you buy cheap specs then it's not going to last very long.

sponsored links

2,976 views & 19 likes for this thread
New laptop: Macbook or Win10?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.