Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Dec 2018 (Sunday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Viltrox EF-M2 Speed Booster 0.71x Focal Adapter - anyone using one, or similar?

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. (7 edits in all)

Dec 16, 2018 11:32 |  #1

Just bought a Viltrox EF-M2 speedbooster for my Canon M5. It should arrive Wed., Dec. 19th. Do any of you have this adapter or similar, and have you seen any variation above or below your expectations? Several reviews stated image quality is not compromised a lot. The two lenses I was most interested to use with it on the M5 the 85mm 1.2 ii and 16-35mm f/4 IS. I also considered the Rokinon 12mm f/2 but apparently it's more like an 18mm on the M5, and unless I misunderstood, 16-35mm with the Viltrox adapter should remain closer to 16-35mm. So I opted for the adapter rather than an extra (manual) lens.

The image quality is decent. A question mark lurked from the M5 screen, but once in Lightroom, the photos were as good as hoped for. I didn't buy this for top-notch images, but extra versatility when I want to use the M5 as an extra body to get a few more photos that could be printed 5 x 7 to 8 x 10

Here is the Canon M5 & Canon 85mm 1.2 ii shot at f/1.0

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 19, 2018 17:47 |  #2

With the Canon 16-35mm f/4 ... it seems the Viltrox adapter makes this lens function like an EF 11-28mm f/2.8

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,346 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2018 18:18 |  #3

I like the booster so far, have tried various lenses on it with my m50.

Here is a test shot from my 5D4 vs M50 just to see the 1.1 crop factor now on the APS-C. f2.8 on the FF, f2.0 on the crop...

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,346 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 19, 2018 19:13 |  #4

The only thing I think I have seen that I don't like, but wasn't necessarily a surprise, was the impact on IQ on the edges. It is to be expected though, given what the booster is really doing. Also some lenses vignette pretty bad, and that is likely due to the lens just supplying enough of an image to cover a FF sensor and the booster is shrinking that image circle down too much.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden.

Dec 19, 2018 19:34 |  #5

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18774331 (external link)
The only thing I think I have seen that I don't like, but wasn't necessarily a surprise, was the impact on IQ on the edges. It is to be expected though, given what the booster is really doing. Also some lenses vignette pretty bad, and that is likely due to the lens just supplying enough of an image to cover a FF sensor and the booster is shrinking that image circle down too much.

I didn't look for vignetting yet, but will watch that later. It seems that this Viltrox would be fun to try a wide prime like Sigma 14mm 1.8 ... or Irix 15mm 2.4 ... or Irix 11mm 4.0

An 11mm on the M50 or M5 would be fun. The Irix 11mm would go to f/2.8 ... I sort of like the "Blackstone" version.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,346 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 20, 2018 13:21 |  #6

The Sigma 50 1.4 (old version, still works and is pretty sharp wide open) works well with the booster.

Partial crop, followed by full crop of original image:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Scottboarding
570 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined May 2016

Dec 22, 2018 13:19 |  #7

I own a Viltrox Nikon F to Micro Four Thirds and I'm really happy with it! It brings the 2x crop factor down to 1.42x so I'm actually getting wider than APS-c which is nice. I haven't used it as much as I should, but I loved the results I got from my Voigtlander 40mm f2.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1911/44304811925_f27c0dbcc4_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2av4​K2F  (external link) PA092800 (external link) by Scott Carr (external link), on Flickr

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links

879 views & 0 likes for this thread
Viltrox EF-M2 Speed Booster 0.71x Focal Adapter - anyone using one, or similar?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.