Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2018 (Thursday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suddenly my 6D Mark-ii won't turn on...

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,033 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 18, 2018 15:48 |  #1

I use my 6D2 at least 2-3 times per week with a Canon Battery grip attached... Suddenly it would not turn on.

I thought that it might be that the batteries had been exhausted so I recharged both batteries.

The camera still would not turn on! I then tried each battery in my 7D2 and both were fully charged and each worked just fine/

I then removed the battery grip from the 6D2 and inserted the batteries individually. Neither worked!

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,693 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 18, 2018 21:39 |  #2

Bummer...did you try your battery from 7D2 to 6D2? Just being sure about a different battery in case of some battery memory issue (I recently upgraded to 5D4, and noticed my 3rd party batteries aren't always recognized...Canon must be cracking down on genuine products). Well either way, a Canon brand battery should always work with the 6D2...so if it's not turning on with that, then I'm afraid it must be your camera.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,926 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 19, 2018 03:09 |  #3

I'd be checking the microswitch on the memory card door operates correctly

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

eddieb1
851 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited 8 months ago by eddieb1.

Oct 19, 2018 05:24 |  #4

Try without the grip. Put the door back on the camera before you do to make sure the switch is being depressed.

Ooops! I see you tried that.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,985 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 19, 2018 21:12 |  #5

I don't have any 6D model, but I presume they have the same kind of transmissive LCD overlay in the viewfinder as other recent EOS cameras. Does the viewfinder look different with a battery inserted or not? Even if the camera isn't "on"?

Anders

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,274 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 06, 2018 18:12 |  #6

What happened? Did you get it to work?

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,869 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 06, 2018 18:20 |  #7

ozziepuppy wrote in post #18745502 (external link)
What happened? Did you get it to work?

We may never know. The OP was last on these forums on 10/20/2018 and even then he stated (in part)

RPCrowe wrote in post #18732785 (external link)
No, I would not dump my Canon DSLR cameras (6D2 and 7D2) for a "CANON" or "NIKON" full frame mirrorless camera but, I am seriously considering switching to the Sony mirrorless system.

I have been severely disappointed with the Canon 6D Mark-2 and the full frame Canon and Nikon mirrorless offerings are, IMO, a big joke for top-line 21st century cameras.

I have recently purchased a Sony A6500 and have fallen in love with this little camera. IT IS EXCITING AND FUN TO SHOOT!

I am seriously considering getting an A7iii with the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 ART in a Sony mount!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Wilt.

Nov 07, 2018 16:43 |  #8

Could be that the main circuit simply died...my 5D (classic) had worked fine for years, then one day about 1.5-2 years ago in the middle of a shoot it simply stopped working, went to sleep after I had set it down and could not wake up when I picked it up to shoot. I sent it into a independent repair shop, since Canon stopped servicing the 5D about a year earlier, and got a new main circuit put in. The 5DIII had not dropped much at all in the used market in spite of the 5DIV launch, and I did not want a 5DII, so it made the most sense to put the money into the 5Dc repair!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

N2bnfunn
688 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2018 13:10 |  #9

Have you try using the battery without the grip? and is your grip a CANON grip or some other brand?

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

sponsored links

1,784 views & 2 likes for this thread
Suddenly my 6D Mark-ii won't turn on...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.