Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 19, 2018 08:27 |  #2491

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18773971 (external link)
The 50 RF lists 44% above the 50L, and at the time the 50L had no competition.

You should be comparing the 50R to a top Zeiss 50- The optics on the Canon are superior and it has AF

so If you compare to current Zeiss otus and pricing......the 50R is a bloody steal

click here- you really need to look at one of the lens and get some test shots in your hands before you comment. The 50R is outstanding and its right there with the Zeiss Otus. So compare apples to apples. the 50R is not anything like a 50L to compare to other than they are both fast 50's

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …55mm_f_1_4_otus​_lens.html (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 19, 2018 09:18 |  #2492

The "current" EF 50L is 12-13 years old, right?

I thought it was originally priced around 2k?

Honest questions, I don't have a need for anything like that so have never really followed pricing.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Lester ­ Wareham
27,405 posts
Gallery: 2809 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 19, 2018 09:22 |  #2493

umphotography wrote in post #18773970 (external link)
THIS THREAD IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE EOS-R AND YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THE R. If you want to start a thread about lens costs and comparisons to others......Go start a thread in the lens forum....PLEASE !!!!

I agree with your comments about different camera makes and the squabbling in the thread.

On the point of discussing the lenses I am not sure that they can be separated from the body at this point because it seems to me Canon have launched them and the body as a set effectively launching a new system.

As a system is successful or not as a system, body + lenses etc I can understand people wanting to compare and contrast vs the existing system. (Even youself could not resist this)

After all if someone starts a thread on RF lenses in the lens forum people are likely to want the discuss the R body also at this point.

Things will settle down in time I think.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,378 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2018 11:02 |  #2494

Interestingly, this thread started out as a discussion of the entire eos r stack, and even Mike pointed out that the EOS r release is all about the lenses. Seems odd that all of a sudden we should restrict this thread. There are already two other EOS R threads, and neither one seems to be really about the overall EOS R system as this thread has been.

As this poll is about how one feels about the EOS R, the lenses would make up a big part of that decision.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,806 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 19, 2018 11:52 |  #2495

All this whining. Its ridiculous. Can everyone just stop with the childish gibberish attitudes. Who gives a dam about what you shoot with and why you went sony/nikon/fuji and canon...........THIS THREAD IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE EOS-R AND YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THE R. If you want to start a thread about lens costs and comparisons to others......Go start a thread in the lens forum....PLEASE !!!!

Mike, it seems odd that you would take such a harsh, angry stance about lenses being discussed here in this EOS-R thread. . What's up with that?

Even you have had a lot to say about lenses here in this thread, for months and months. . Why the sudden flip-flop in your attitude about this?

So, it seems like what you are saying is: . when you want to talk about R system lenses, it's ok for you to do so here in this thread, but if others want to talk about them, you think that they start a separate thread for such discussion? . It seems like you are being inconsistent and self-contradictory.

Look below at the things you have written here in this thread about lenses. Are you now angry at yourself for having made all of these posts about lenses?

The last 24-105 was a total joke of an update. It is a rebranded 24-105 with an updated IS system. Zero optical gains. So to me ,it was a typical current canon update designed to get the gearheads to buy the latest and greatest......The NEW 24-105R is a significant upgrade and the optics are stunning. There is nothing like it on the market.....So if you want it its going to cost $$$$

The 35 1.8 is a bloody steal from what I can see. I might in fact hold off on the 50R update and wait and see if canon comes out with a 85 1.8R.My guess is it will be similarly priced as the 35 1.8

With a 24-105, a 35 1.8 and an 85 1.8, you can have an excellent kit.......I am anxious to see what canon is going to come out with this year with the R optics

umphotography wrote in post #18770739 (external link)
Oh i think this is exactly WHY canon has gone to an R mount. Optics and 3rd party lens will NEVER be able to be made for these bodies and they will never work remotely close to the original R lens. Did you see Rogers post from lens rentals and all the electronics in that 50R. He stopped about 3/4 of the way. Just too much in there ..... I can only imagine what the electronic programming must be like to get it all to work right with the camera body and its electronics

Me things Sigma and Tamron are gonna be in trouble

umphotography wrote in post #18770208 (external link)
Wait till you see what that little 50 does at F/1.2....Holy crapola it is impressive and it hits right now. No questions asked. From that article , I can see why it costs so much more.....All those electronics....has me concerned with bad weather and rain. my 300F/2.8 was soaked this week after shooting in the rain all day....Cant imagine these lens with all the electronics are going to be good with rainy weather

umphotography wrote in post #18767292 (external link)
Everyone has said for the last 10 yrs there is no way they could make a 24-70 F/2. Too Big, too heavy. Now we have one. No One knows what they can and cant do with the R mount designs and technology.

If Sigma can make a 150-600 sport thats hand holdable Why cant Canon- They probably can. And with the R mounts technology and designs, they may be able to make a 150-600 F/4 at the same size as Sigmas 150-600 variable. Wouldn't that be nice.

My guess is there will be a major revamp to the big whites but only speculation on my part. No One knows. Obviously they cant do it with existing technology

umphotography wrote in post #18766709 (external link)
Future talk will be about optics. Have you guys actually put these R Mount lens in your hands ??

They are massive- And no one is going to gave a rats butt about how big and heavy they are. They are Zeiss quality or in some cases will be better than the Otus series. No one is going to care about weight with optics like this.

umphotography wrote in post #18766094 (external link)
This camera release is about the new mount and the new optics canon will be introducing. I think I have my last DSLR's. Best camera I have ever used. But the new optics are going to be game changers.

umphotography wrote in post #18737735 (external link)
The R glass images that I have seen are beyond impressive. I have never seen optics this good and that includes Zeiss.

The big decider for me is the optics. Optics have changed my mind entirely. The 24-105 is impressive and I love that 50R. Just a wow for me

Canon is going to introduce optics that are superior for the R line up and the current L lens line up will stagnate. They will put out more 24-105 releases for the L lens line up. And thats going to kill it for pros.

umphotography wrote in post #18737040 (external link)
Both 16-35's are excellent as are the current 24-70's. They should work great on that body.

umphotography wrote in post #18737008 (external link)
And this 50R is mind blowing good optics. I would probably pick this over the 24-70 Zoom and use my feet to zoom.

umphotography wrote in post #18736638 (external link)
Very excited about the new glass.

That 24-105 looks killer.

Dont think I could pop for the 24-70 at 3K.

It would give a whole new lease on my 135L and other primes.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by umphotography.

Dec 19, 2018 12:35 |  #2496

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18774076 (external link)
Mike, it seems odd that you would take such a harsh, angry stance about lenses being discussed here in this EOS-R thread. . What's up with that?

Even you have had a lot to say about lenses here in this thread, for months and months. . Why the sudden flip-flop in your attitude about this?

So, it seems like what you are saying is: . when you want to talk about R system lenses, it's ok for you to do so here in this thread, but if others want to talk about them, you think that they start a separate thread for such discussion? . It seems like you are being inconsistent and self-contradictory.

Look below at the things you have written here in this thread about lenses. Are you now angry at yourself for having made all of these posts about lenses?

Im not upset about talking on lens related to the OOS-R...as you have noted and Quoted

I do get fed up with bringing in the negative talk about talk like lens costs is a non factor for the canon fan boys or however it was put, why people didnt buy this for Sony or that for whatever and then we run into places the thread was never intended to go

By all means talk about Lens for the EOS R and things pertinent to the conversations at hand about the R mount and the new optics. Thats what the thread is about

some of this comparison talk to other lens is all speculation. I only know 1 guy on the net thats actually make a slight comparison on one of the lens (50R) and thats not published yet. Why you choose not to buy something is of little concern about this R mount. A lot of nit picking is starting to happen by people who have not even touched the body or seen the results from some test shots

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,531 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 19, 2018 14:33 |  #2497

:eek::-P:-P:-P:rolleyes:

All these thoughts give me nightmares hahaha..

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 19, 2018 15:23 |  #2498

I spent about 7 minutes with the camera, so any critique of the camera should be taken lightly.

Went to bnh for so hands on time.

First impressions were how plastic it felt.
Ergonomics though was very good , felt great, perfect size for my hands (im a.. well im not a big guy;-)a )

The bar must have been off as it did nothing.

So af points, great that it can be changed via screen but with eithr hands its kinda awkward and my nose kept changing it.
Tried with wheel (dpad?) But that felt slow , less responsive .. alot slower than my 80d.(previously owned)

Seems like not a bad camera. Probably not for me though, seems like it would slow me down, i think id rather a 5d4.
And i made the mistake of picking up a 1dx2,.. now i want one:-|

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

RodS57
786 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 19, 2018 15:27 |  #2499

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18774076 (external link)

LMAO :-)

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden.

Dec 19, 2018 18:08 |  #2500

umphotography wrote in post #18773975 (external link)
You should be comparing the 50R to a top Zeiss 50- The optics on the Canon are superior and it has AF

so If you compare to current Zeiss otus and pricing......the 50R is a bloody steal

click here- you really need to look at one of the lens and get some test shots in your hands before you comment. The 50R is outstanding and its right there with the Zeiss Otus. So compare apples to apples. the 50R is not anything like a 50L to compare to other than they are both fast 50's

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …55mm_f_1_4_otus​_lens.html (external link)

You are correct about comparison of the RF 50 1.2 to the EF 50 1.2 and maybe looking elsewhere like the Zeiss for comparison.

The RF 50mm has a rendering and quality as good as the Zeiss Milvus 85mm I shot in the redwoods, and the Milvus approached Otus Quality. The RF 50mm 1.2 shares qualities of my Zeiss Milvus, bokeh of the 85mm 1.2 ii and focus speed no less than a Canon 135mm 2.0

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,262 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 20, 2018 19:03 |  #2501

I handled one in Best Buy with the 24-105 f/4 on it...

I was not impressed..

The AF is ok, if you're not shooting anything moving too fast (I borrowed a friend and had them walk diagonally and asked the camera to track and it kept losing focus), it also shoots very slow, but that wasnt the worst thing to me... The controls were my biggest complaint.

The AF ON is in a TERRIBLE place, the lack of a joystick is EXTREMELY annoying, reaching over to do touchpad AF in my case was a pain, the controls in general to me just were.. not good, and thats more important than any arguments about IQ and that. It just wasnt an intuitive easy camera to handle for me, maybe its because im used to the 7D/7D Mark II type cameras and not the 6D/6D Mark II type of controls (Which i hate)

Viewfinder was super sharp and nice, rear screen was super nice. and the 24-105 seemed very nice, Im not sure on the front dial placement (id rather it was closer to the rear of the lens like most aperture rings because then id use it for aperture probably) and the menus are nice. So yes, there are some very good things about it.

I wanted to like it or be surprised by it.. But I just didn't, Happy Canon is making a mirrorless to put pressure on the market, but its not the camera for me

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,806 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 20, 2018 19:13 |  #2502

KenjiS wrote in post #18774965 (external link)
..... the lack of a joystick is EXTREMELY annoying, reaching over to do touchpad AF in my case was a pain .....

So, if it doesn't have a joystick, and you had to use the touchpad for AF ..... well, then that makes me wonder ..... if one is using it to track moving subjects, and the moving subject suddenly changes direction, then how do you change the AF point that you want to use without taking your eye away from the viewfinder?

What I mean is, for some of us, we are constantly photographing things that are on the move, and the whole time that we are tracking them through the viewfinder, trying to keep them in the frame, we need to be constantly changing the AF point that we want to use, so that we can keep adjusting our composition on a second-to-second basis, as the animal moves around and about rapidly.

For some of us, this is the normal way that we use a camera on a day-to-day basis, not some kind of exceptional situation. . I'm sure that many high-speed sports action photographers have the same needs - especially for sports like soccer and football, where the action is often erratic and unpredictable.

So, how do you do that with the EOS-R? . Surely there must be some way to do it, even if that way is a little more awkward than what we are used to. . Isn't there?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 20, 2018 19:38 |  #2503

KenjiS wrote in post #18774965 (external link)
I handled one in Best Buy with the 24-105 f/4 on it...

I was not impressed..

The AF is ok, if you're not shooting anything moving too fast (I borrowed a friend and had them walk diagonally and asked the camera to track and it kept losing focus), it also shoots very slow, but that wasnt the worst thing to me... The controls were my biggest complaint.

The AF ON is in a TERRIBLE place, the lack of a joystick is EXTREMELY annoying, reaching over to do touchpad AF in my case was a pain, the controls in general to me just were.. not good, and thats more important than any arguments about IQ and that. It just wasnt an intuitive easy camera to handle for me, maybe its because im used to the 7D/7D Mark II type cameras and not the 6D/6D Mark II type of controls (Which i hate)

Viewfinder was super sharp and nice, rear screen was super nice. and the 24-105 seemed very nice, Im not sure on the front dial placement (id rather it was closer to the rear of the lens like most aperture rings because then id use it for aperture probably) and the menus are nice. So yes, there are some very good things about it.

I wanted to like it or be surprised by it.. But I just didn't, Happy Canon is making a mirrorless to put pressure on the market, but its not the camera for me

Ahahahha

Ken I was at best buy yesterday and did the same thing. I also kept pushing the darn arrow thing with my thumb trying to move the focal point :-P:-P

I think you rally need to get it in your hands. It felt foreign to me thats for sure. But unlike Sony......I could get in that menu and figure things out

Ergos/grip is awesome

24-105 is amazing as I previously found out

I really cant comment on the AF or focal system. I kept tapping o the viewfinder to focus on something because i could not figure out how to move ot from back of the camera.......lack of familiarity for sure

I took a card with me but he would not let me put it in the camera

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,262 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 20, 2018 19:40 |  #2504

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18774971 (external link)

So, if it doesn't have a joystick, and you had to use the touchpad for AF ..... well, then that makes me wonder ..... if one is using it to track moving subjects, and the moving subject suddenly changes direction, then how do you change the AF point that you want to use without taking your eye away from the viewfinder?

What I mean is, for some of us, we are constantly photographing things that are on the move, and the whole time that we are tracking them through the viewfinder, trying to keep them in the frame, we need to be constantly changing the AF point that we want to use, so that we can keep adjusting our composition on a second-to-second basis, as the animal moves around and about rapidly.

For some of us, this is the normal way that we use a camera on a day-to-day basis, not some kind of exceptional situation. . I'm sure that many high-speed sports action photographers have the same needs - especially for sports like soccer and football, where the action is often erratic and unpredictable.

So, how do you do that with the EOS-R? . Surely there must be some way to do it, even if that way is a little more awkward than what we are used to. . Isn't there?

You can actually change the AF point without removing your eye from the viewfinder, you use it like a trackpad on a computer more or less, you move your thumb around on the screen and it drags the box around in the viewfinder, but yes, its clunky and some people will accidentally activate it with their nose... Ive used the same system on my GX8 prior, its not HORRIBLE, but honestly its not a replacement for a joystick, nowhere near as sensitive or quick

And yes, you illustrated exactly my big problem with the EOS R... I can just tap my joystick on my A7III to change where i want to focus, or alternately, the A7III has a superb lock on AF that actually holds the subject in the frame remarkably well.. The Canon equivalent to this mode did not do as well from my testing which wasnt that demanding.

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,378 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 20, 2018 19:41 |  #2505

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18774971 (external link)

You use the rear screen and move your finger around like laptop touchpad to move the AF point around. Works well enough, as long as your nose doesn't interfere and move the AF point on you.

i only wish that doing the same activity would move the image around if you were previewing a recorded image in the viewfinder.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

112,972 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.