Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Dec 2018 (Tuesday) 04:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

small Elinchrom rotalux Octa 175cm alternative

fiftyl
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2018

Dec 11, 2018 04:37 |  #1

Hi guys!

I bought an Profoto head and wanted to use the 175cm octabox on it, but afcourse the Profoto to Elinchrom adapter isn't solid enough.

I want a good alternative to use on location

I was thinking the phottix deep Octa 80cm or the deep silver umbrella 120cm. I like these because they are so easy and quick to setup. I also want to use it in a studio for more contrasty beauty shots

What is the way to go, or do you suggest an other alternative?

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,282 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 11, 2018 09:35 |  #2

175cm will be big for location, isn't it?

I have old SP Systems 37" octabox which opens umbrella style and I love it. I have it for 7-8 yrs now. Not sure if they still make it.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
984 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 2 months ago by Angmo.

Dec 11, 2018 14:19 |  #3

You could check out Cheetahstand. I’ve had really good luck using their light modifiers.

I use Elinchrom strobes.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

simonbarker
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 12, 2018 20:02 |  #4

If you want to use the 175cm with Profoto just replace the Elinchrom speedring with the one they make for Profoto that way it's just as sturdy as the Elinchrom mount (more actually but you get the idea). This thing:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …talux_Speed_Rin​g_For.html (external link)

It's not my favourite Elinchrom at that size but I don't understand why you also want a separate location option, I know the 175cm is large but the weight and speed of set up is kinda what the Rotalux is especially good at so why not just also get an Elinchrom 70/100/DO if you find Elinchrom attractive enough to warrant the first scenario?

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,852 posts
Gallery: 255 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 13, 2018 14:47 |  #5

Cheetah 42" Quick SoupBowl

http://www.cheetahstan​d.com/product-p/qsb-42.htm (external link)

Cheetah 48" Deep Parabolic Quick RiceBowl

http://www.cheetahstan​d.com/product-p/qrb-48.htm (external link)

I AM SHOM

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,139 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 14, 2018 14:29 |  #6

I use the 175 all the time with Profoto heads.

I also just got the 80” deep Fotodiox parabolic. I’m digging it. It’s definitely more contrasty than the Rotaluxes, but it puts out very even full-length light.

Can’t combine it with the Rotas though, the Elinchrom diffusion material has a warm color to it.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 21, 2018 00:04 |  #7

How about the Elinchrom 150cm deep octa in the inverse configuration? It mounts the strobe on the inside and the modifier mounts to the stand.

Because it is inverted, the light is bounced from the rear surface and then goes through both diffusers, creating a very soft light.

Putting it together the first time takes a little time, but once assembled, it's fairly quick to set up and take down. Surprisingly light and portable.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

simonbarker
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 22, 2018 20:03 |  #8

F2Bthere wrote in post #18775118 (external link)
How about the Elinchrom 150cm deep octa in the inverse configuration? It mounts the strobe on the inside and the modifier mounts to the stand.

I like the Indirect 150cm but it has a custom indirect mount so you can't replace it with another Rotalux speedring unlike the rest of the Rotalux range leaving only the options of the bolt on adapters (which the op has already said isn't solid enough) or to manually adapt it with some DIY.

Because it is inverted, the light is bounced from the rear surface and then goes through both diffusers, creating a very soft light.

The advantage of an indirect softbox (in terms of output) isn't that it's softer but rather that the output is more even.

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 22, 2018 22:21 |  #9

simonbarker wrote in post #18776301 (external link)
I like the Indirect 150cm but it has a custom indirect mount so you can't replace it with another Rotalux speedring unlike the rest of the Rotalux range leaving only the options of the bolt on adapters (which the op has already said isn't solid enough) or to manually adapt it with some DIY.

I think the "isn't solid enough" issue is more because it has to support the weight of the modifier, no?

With the indirect, the adapter only has to support the head, which isn't too bad even if it's a B1.

I do agree the Elinchrom Profoto adapter could be better. I got the third-party version because it is a bit more stable.

The connector is the biggest weakness in the Elinchrom system. Great system except for that. :)

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

nixland
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 23, 2018 03:23 |  #10

Putting it together the first time takes a little time, but once assembled, it's fairly quick to set up and take down. Surprisingly light and portable.

Just wanna share again my previous test on Rota150 :
1. Bare strobe forward
2. Bare strobe backward at focus point
3. Bare strobe forward with deflector plate
4. Bare strobe backward with strobe further away from focus point (I use DIY focusing rod, but now you can find 3rd party focusing rod sold online or cheetahstand)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,139 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 23, 2018 07:18 as a reply to  @ nixland's post |  #11

I just want to be sure, no diffusion material for any of these test shots?

nixland
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 24, 2018 02:40 |  #12

chris_holtmeier wrote in post #18776505 (external link)
I just want to be sure, no diffusion material for any of these test shots?

None! :)

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,139 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 24, 2018 06:41 as a reply to  @ nixland's post |  #13

That last photo is incredibly soft for not having any diffusion material.

I don’t think I’ve been defocusing my big para enough.

Thanks for the example photos!

jlafferty
248 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited 2 months ago by jlafferty.

Dec 24, 2018 07:41 |  #14

Distance could be the deciding factor, and it’s certainly a contributor - how far was the light from the mannequin head?

chris_holtmeier wrote in post #18777125 (external link)

Current Portfolio (external link)

nixland
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 24, 2018 07:53 |  #15

chris_holtmeier wrote in post #18777125 (external link)

Fyi, the rotalux silver interior has pebbled surface that makes light more scattered.

sponsored links

1,234 views & 6 likes for this thread
small Elinchrom rotalux Octa 175cm alternative
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.