Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 20, 2018 22:40 |  #1666

Gel wrote in post #18774972 (external link)
RF50 @1.4 - No sharpening.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Gel in
./showthread.php?p=187​74972&i=i37783107
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Lovely composition.

Tricky white balance ?

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

sponsored links
avondale87
Cream of the Crop
5,524 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2018 22:59 |  #1667

Pondrader wrote in post #18774564 (external link)
The one thing I do find is the 143 points for the centre af point is a bit to big at times. SM-P585Y

Can that be changed in the menu? The size of the focus points.
If we're talking same, I can in my Olympus.
Buried in the menu.

Richard

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Gallery: 447 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by LoneRider. (3 edits in all)

Dec 20, 2018 23:00 |  #1668

Really liking the RF 35mm. Compact, sharp, and didn’t break the bank.

Can’t wait for weather to improve so I can get outside with it. SOOC jpg with no adjustments.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from LoneRider's gallery.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by Gel.

Dec 21, 2018 02:33 |  #1669

quickben wrote in post #18775088 (external link)
Lovely composition.

Tricky white balance ?

Surprisingly no, it seemed to sort itself out, possibly even white balancing off the LED on the couple. Came out AOK!

Chris Giles Photography

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,300 posts
Gallery: 807 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by MatthewK. (5 edits in all)

Dec 21, 2018 04:45 |  #1670

I think I'm sold. I've been a die hard 5D4 fan since it arrived because it's just such a solid body: great ergos, awesome AF, and beautifully malleable images in post, especially with high ISO shots. A few months ago, I got a Fuji X100F, my first mirrorless body, and the killer feature to me: seeing the exposure before you snap the shot, the ability to see if you're over or underexposed. It has made taking photos just a lovely, fun experience because it takes out the incessant need to chimp, and eliminates that let down you get when you see a precious moment ruined because you accidentally metered incorrectly.

For my bird shooting, what has caused me to miss the most shots over the years isn't from a lack of FPS, megapixels, or DR... it's because of an under or overexposed photo.

Watching the Andy Rouse video from a few posts backs, and how he described his set up with having exposure comp on the adapter control ring and seeing the exposure before hand: that's it, that's what's pushed me over the edge. Oh, and not needing to AFMA vmad I HATE AFMA. Being able to get 5D4-level IQ, but with all of the added benefits of mirrorless... exciting.

I'm looking for deals on the R, and hope to get it before I go on Christmas break on Sunday :)

One quick question: can the back slider thing be set to do EC?

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

WilsonFlyer
712 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by WilsonFlyer.

Dec 21, 2018 06:35 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #1671

Absolutely, and it's GREAT. I toggle mine between EC and ISO, though admittedly I keep it on ISO most of the time because with the EVF and seeing my exposure in advance, I really find myself using EC less and less.

Here's another elephant in the room that nobody'll talk about. I shoot more and more JPG with RAW turned off. I just don't need them as much anymore. When you get your R, you'll understand why.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 11 months ago by Pondrader.

Dec 21, 2018 07:37 |  #1672

Interesting

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

bbqkid8
298 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited 11 months ago by bbqkid8. (2 edits in all)

Dec 21, 2018 07:59 |  #1673

MatthewK wrote in post #18775198 (external link)
I think I'm sold. I've been a die hard 5D4 fan since it arrived because it's just such a solid body: great ergos, awesome AF, and beautifully malleable images in post, especially with high ISO shots. A few months ago, I got a Fuji X100F, my first mirrorless body, and the killer feature to me: seeing the exposure before you snap the shot, the ability to see if you're over or underexposed. It has made taking photos just a lovely, fun experience because it takes out the incessant need to chimp, and eliminates that let down you get when you see a precious moment ruined because you accidentally metered incorrectly.

For my bird shooting, what has caused me to miss the most shots over the years isn't from a lack of FPS, megapixels, or DR... it's because of an under or overexposed photo.

Watching the Andy Rouse video from a few posts backs, and how he described his set up with having exposure comp on the adapter control ring and seeing the exposure before hand: that's it, that's what's pushed me over the edge. Oh, and not needing to AFMA vmad I HATE AFMA. Being able to get 5D4-level IQ, but with all of the added benefits of mirrorless... exciting.

I'm looking for deals on the R, and hope to get it before I go on Christmas break on Sunday :)

One quick question: can the back slider thing be set to do EC?

I think I'm with you on this too. I've been doing analysis paralysis for the last couple of weeks trying to decide between the 5d4 and the R. The only thing that's stopping me is the FPS speed. So what I did this week was go out and shoot birds one day and a basketball game another day with my 7d2 (the two things I love to shoot the most) and put on AI Servo with Silent Continuous to bring the FPS down from 10 to 4. I got some shots that were satisfying to me and I think I will be taking the plunge as well!

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by LoneRider.

Dec 21, 2018 08:32 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #1674

I agree with what others are saying about being able to preview the shot before taking it and relying more on jpg. I do real estate listings as a side job, not high end fancy mansions or commercial work, but simple middle class homes. One or two off camera flashes, shoot RAW and generally do adjustments in post with PS. I spend about an hour shooting and another hour editing. You could say I’ve gotten a little lazy, as I don’t put too much effort on exposure while shooting because I can “fix it in post”.

I could cut down time in post with more chimping while shooting, but that adds time on site and 2-3x the number of files to go through afterwards. With RAW, my method works but on jpg would be too many situations where too much shadow work became too noisy or highlights couldn’t be recovered and I would lose consistency in IQ. To use jpg files I’d have to spend the time on site chimping. I learned that, for me, editing “close enough” RAW took less time than editing “good” jpg’s. So I was saving time on both ends.

Haven’t had a chance to really work the R on a RE gig as it is a seasonal thing, so can’t say yet if I will be able to go to jpg for that since it doesn’t “preview” the look once flash is involved. Regardless, the size and weight is a big improvement for slogging it around every room of a house on a tripod and the flippy screen is a big plus when the tripod needs to be up against a wall or in a tight corner.

I pulled my 5D4 out for the first time after a few weeks with the R and it struck me as a massive, heavy, beast. I am seriously think of selling it, the R is that much of a pleasure. If the novelty of the R doesn’t fade and current joy level continues, there may be another 5D4 on the used market soon.

I followed Pondrader’s lead and set my scroll bar to move between shots in playback. You can set it up for one function while shooting and another for playback. I had it set for ISO while shooting, and while an interesting concept, I found it was a bit finicky to use. I believe you can set it to EC, but I have disabled it while shooting.

Pre-R, 90+% of my shooting was done Av with a set ISO or M with auto ISO. My favorite mode at this point Fv. I love how you can use the dials to quickly select and change parameters. I have my control ring set for EC, seems like the perfect use for it.

I am on vacation for the next two weeks, hoping to get some uninterrupted R time outdoors with gulls or ducks to see how it goes with BIF. Not too big of a concern as I also have an 80D which is what I usually use over the 5D4 for that purpose any way. At this point I am seriously thinking that I need to see if there is a compelling reason to keep the 5D4 because I am not seeing one right now.

Wayne...

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,300 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 21, 2018 08:32 |  #1675

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18775225 (external link)
Absolutely, and it's GREAT. I toggle mine between EC and ISO, though admittedly I keep it on ISO most of the time because with the EVF and seeing my exposure in advance, I really find myself using EC less and less.

Here's another elephant in the room that nobody'll talk about. I shoot more and more JPG with RAW turned off. I just don't need them as much anymore. When you get your R, you'll understand why.

Yeah, I only shoot JPG on my Fuji, but the one problem I have with that camera is that AWB White Balance isn't that great, and I haven't figured out how to quickly change it to compensate, and it's difficult to fix WB issues w/ JPG. I'm hesitant to give up shooting in RAW, so we'll see!

On the FPS front, I'm hoping there's a firmware update to bring it up to a constant 5FPS in AI-Servo. If not, I'll make do because I originally was a 1-shot type of guy, but switched to Servo to sort of spray in pray in case the AF missed slightly. With the R and the DPAF, I think you may be able to be a little more deliberate because the AF should be more accurate.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2018 08:41 |  #1676

Rather than doing a full blown WTS thread in marketplace, anyone interested in a good deal on the basic EF adapter? I picked up a control ring adapter and don’t need both.

PM if you want more info.

Wayne...

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2018 08:42 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #1677

Control ring or slider bar can be set to change WB

Wayne...

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Post edited 11 months ago by quickben.

Dec 21, 2018 08:46 |  #1678

Gel wrote in post #18775168 (external link)
Surprisingly no, it seemed to sort itself out, possibly even white balancing off the LED on the couple. Came out AOK!

That's impressive, considering the amount of the frame that's lit by the "warm white" bulbs in the lantern.

No need to carry an 18% grey card in the back pocket, then !

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

3jc
339 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 21, 2018 09:53 |  #1679

MatthewK wrote in post #18775198 (external link)

CPW deal on EOS R
https://www.cpricewatc​h.com …-ar-with-pro-100-printer/ (external link)

flickr (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jccustom/ (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,300 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 21, 2018 10:25 |  #1680

From thought to reality :) it’s going to be a fun Christmas break!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

sponsored links

948,061 views & 15,468 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.