Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2018 (Thursday) 01:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommended Books (not for noobs)?

icor1031
872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited 1 month ago by icor1031.

Dec 20, 2018 01:20 |  #1

Please suggest books that you think would be appropriate, for my skill level.

This is what I've read, or am in the process of: Light Science and Magic, Picture Perfect Posing, The Manual of Photography, and part of Hurley's book.

And here's my work: https://www.instagram.​com/idealportraits/ (external link)

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135/2 || Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 || Sigma 85/1.4 ART || Helios 44-2 58/2 || Sigma 50/1.4 Art || Canon 24/2.8 || Rokinon 14/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,133 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Dec 20, 2018 04:12 |  #2

Ways of Seeing - John Berger

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
872 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 20, 2018 10:25 |  #3

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18774546 (external link)

The book is based on the TV series. Do you know which is better?

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135/2 || Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 || Sigma 85/1.4 ART || Helios 44-2 58/2 || Sigma 50/1.4 Art || Canon 24/2.8 || Rokinon 14/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,768 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 20, 2018 16:36 |  #4

icor1031 wrote in post #18774684 (external link)
The book is based on the TV series. Do you know which is better?

I don't mean to be a smartass (really) ....

But which is better depends largely on what type of media you respond to better, and not so much about the content itself.

For example, I learn really well when shown a video, or when speaking to someone. I also learn well when reading short snippets that only require me to focus and concentrate for several seconds at a time. I have real trouble learning from reading, when the reading is such that it requires me to maintain focus for more than a minute at any given stretch. Other people have no trouble at all maintaining focus and concentration for minutes and minutes on end.

Some things are written in such a way that the content is presented in a series of little snippets of info, each self-contained.

Other things are written in such a way that one point is built upon the previous point, which is built upon the point before that ... and in these cases one is required to maintain focus for longer periods of time.

Neither is better, and neither is worse, essentially. It really does depend on the individual who is attempting to ingest the content.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
872 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 20, 2018 16:49 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18774905 (external link)
I don't mean to be a smartass (really) ....

But which is better depends largely on what type of media you respond to better, and not so much about the content itself.

For example, I learn really well when shown a video, or when speaking to someone. I also learn well when reading short snippets that only require me to focus and concentrate for several seconds at a time. I have real trouble learning from reading, when the reading is such that it requires me to maintain focus for more than a minute at any given stretch. Other people have no trouble at all maintaining focus and concentration for minutes and minutes on end.

Some things are written in such a way that the content is presented in a series of little snippets of info, each self-contained.

Other things are written in such a way that one point is built upon the previous point, which is built upon the point before that ... and in these cases one is required to maintain focus for longer periods of time.

Neither is better, and neither is worse, essentially. It really does depend on the individual who is attempting to ingest the content.

As long as they have similar production quality and content coverage, I agree with you. ;-)a

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,298 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2018 09:24 |  #6

https://www.amazon.com …0&linkId=AVZEUK​R4QV3W3EC3 (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …0&linkId=LE7N23​FGFYQKFTUY (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …0&linkId=DVUUKI​ZHH2ZZ37FU (external link)

Neil's site is good too

https://neilvn.com/tan​gents/ (external link)

https://www.chapters.i​ndigo.ca …tml?ikwsec=Book​s&ikwidx=0 (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,391 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 21, 2018 20:20 |  #7

I'm not portraits expert. But I read what was in these books and I'm understanding why it is recognized.

About Leibovitz.
https://www.amazon.com …hrough-Lens/dp/B001C71IEM (external link)

Cartier Bresson portraits.
https://www.amazon.ca …ier-bresson/dp/0500288755 (external link)

Jane Bown explains her technique.
https://www.amazon.ca …d-Portraits/dp/185585865​7 (external link)

Karsh approach.
https://www.amazon.ca …1-9&keywords=yousuf+kars​h (external link)

And it is worth to check this site and read about his technique as well.

http://www.disfarmer.c​om/ (external link)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
872 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 21, 2018 21:33 |  #8

I watched all four videos from that series. For the most part, I don't understand how it's supposed to help my photography.

There are small exceptions, such as: understanding that the way I try to present something may not be how it's perceived. And, that I can attempt to limit this by keeping closely linked media consistent. But, that was elementary. More importantly, it's unachievable in most contexts. For example, we won't create a separate instagram account for each type of message we wish to portray.

What the videos did chiefly is lead me to question the ethics of portraiture, and existentially: to consider the vanity of man.
Oil paintings and even portraits are used almost entirely to appeal to vanity (or sexual desire), but what do we do about that? The speaker didn't suggest an alternative.

Is there something you wanted me to see, that I missed?

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
872 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 21, 2018 21:35 |  #9

kf095 wrote in post #18775670 (external link)
I'm not portraits expert. But I read what was in these books and I'm understanding why it is recognized.

About Leibovitz.
https://www.amazon.com …hrough-Lens/dp/B001C71IEM (external link)

Your first link is to a DVD, and I just want to make sure you linked to the correct thing (since it's not a book)? Thanks!

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
872 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 21, 2018 23:02 |  #10

You may be interested in a convo I had, after watching that: https://pastebin.com/U​n6U2v3S (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,391 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 22, 2018 09:47 as a reply to  @ icor1031's post |  #11

I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was about books only.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
872 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 22, 2018 10:51 |  #12

kf095 wrote in post #18775951 (external link)
I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was about books only.

Videos are fine, I really was just making sure you used the right link.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,391 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 23, 2018 13:11 as a reply to  @ icor1031's post |  #13

Link is fine. It is most common DVD in photography session in libraries. I watched it by getting it from our town library shelf.

Ah-keong
927 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 1 month ago by Ah-keong.

Dec 24, 2018 01:46 |  #14

after reading "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman which I think is for amateurs and 'advanced noobs' and deals with largely composition and design;

I would recommend "The Photographer's Mind" by Michael Freeman as this followup book deals with more advance higher level topics like intent, style, process.

:p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,133 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Dec 26, 2018 01:14 |  #15

icor1031 wrote in post #18775746 (external link)
You may be interested in a convo I had, after watching that: https://pastebin.com/U​n6U2v3S (external link)

Interesting. One of the reasons I don't shoot portraits/posed shots is that there is an inherent lack of openness (I don't want to say dishonesty). People (including me) project the aspect we want people to see. That isn't bad/wrong - it is interesting because it at least tells us how they want to be perceived. But as someone who is hyper sensitive to those around me I find it uncomfortable and jarring.

While WoS is limited in it's scope and examples I found it gave me a good push to look at photos/art in a more expansive way. Not just to analyse what is in the image but also why it was taken and who it may have been taken for.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

1,832 views & 1 like for this thread
Recommended Books (not for noobs)?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.