Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

bbqkid8
298 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 22, 2018 22:00 |  #1711

Pondrader wrote in post #18775880 (external link)
Well... lol That could be said about every animal in Canada  :p:-D... I do have a large...... what would you say.... Mmm group of animals that call where I live their home as well. If your outside enough they get to know and see you around and that gives them a more relaxed attitude for my images of them.. same goes for just about every animal around... thus the reason I get so many images of many animals up close.. I use to joke about a critter magnetic in my camera but really its just time in the same bush. These young ones were born this last spring and I never saw them until now.. but their mothers convey a more relaxed attitude toward me so they do the same.. And yet if others come in the yard say a friend they are way more on edge and liable to run. so they can and do recognize us as individuals..

This is using the 70-300L with the 1.6 crop... which is something I have wished for for many years... The 70-300L can not be used with the canon extender as the rear element will hit the extender. so the in body crop ands to the usefulness of the 70-300L . I find that a plus...
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​75880&i=i4808010
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

This all sounds so amazing. To be so close as to even recognize newcomers of a deer family and for them to recognize you. Amazing.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
LoneRider
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 447 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 22, 2018 22:49 |  #1712

First shot with an EF-S lens. My EF-S 18-135mm and for comparison, same basic shot with the RF 24-105mm. Hard to tell the difference, this camera really brings out the best in lenses!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

flashwise
56 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 23, 2018 01:28 |  #1713

Just got my EOS R. I've been blown away with all the features. I am very happy with the R. Yet I am having difficulties using my old Samyang 14mm all manual lens. There is no manual guide and shutter doesn't work, meaning it doesn't take a shot. Am I suppose to set something different if I use all manual lenses? If I simply switch to any EF lenses and turn the switch on the lens to MF, then everything works fine with the Guide and focus. Man, it's an awesome thing. Do I need to wait for their firmware update on this? What am I doing wrong? Or is my R has some defects? Any R users with Samyang or any other all manual lens users out there with a successful story? I'll be happy to hear from you!

Keeping you in my view.

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 447 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by LoneRider.

Dec 23, 2018 02:01 as a reply to  @ flashwise's post |  #1714

In settings, custom function menu 5, release shutter without lens.

Focus peaking is off by default, set it in AF menu. I prefer yellow.

Can’t help you with the focus guide question, I seem to recall that it needs a chipped lens, I could be wrong though...

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 23, 2018 02:44 |  #1715

I addressed most of my servo issues yesterday by maxing these settings out:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Chris Giles Photography

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 23, 2018 07:15 |  #1716

Gel wrote in post #18776440 (external link)
I addressed most of my servo issues yesterday by maxing these settings out:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Gel in
./showthread.php?p=187​76440&i=i183792194

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Gel in
./showthread.php?p=187​76440&i=i201394124

except I think you have it set wrong ?? you moved tracking sensitivity to fast ??? I think it should be set on the slowest point. Once focus locks you want it to stay there on not jump off. so you want sensitively to be slower and stay in place.

Read here. This has been the standard on the new AF systems since the 7D introduction. I dont think the R has changed.......https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/4125878​4 (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited 11 months ago by Gel. (2 edits in all)

Dec 23, 2018 07:29 |  #1717

umphotography wrote in post #18776503 (external link)
except I think you have it set wrong ?? you moved tracking sensitivity to fast ??? I think it should be set on the slowest point. Once focus locks you want it to stay there on not jump off. so you want sensitively to be slower and stay in place.

Read here. This has been the standard on the new AF systems since the 7D introduction. I dont think the R has changed.......https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/4125878​4 (external link)

It's working better for me than the mid point. To be honest though I've not tried setting it the other way. I read the sensitivity setting being that the higher it is the more sensitive it will be and with the acc / decell tracking it with be more ready to move. Something to try at the next wedding.

Caveat, I didn't rtm.

Edit: Here you go:

'[0] - Standard setting suited for most moving subjects.

[Locked on: -2 / Locked on: -1] - The camera will try to continue focusing the subject even if an obstacle enters the AF points or if the subject strays from the AF points. The -2 setting makes the camera track the target subject longer than with the -1 setting. However, if the camera focuses the wrong subject, it may take slightly longer to switch subjects and refocus the target subject.

[Responsive: +2 / Responsive:+1] Once an AF point tracks a subject, the camera can focus consecutive subjects at different distances. Also effective when you want to always focus on the closest subject. The +2 setting makes it quicker to focus the next consecutive subject than with +1. However, the camera will be more prone to focus on the wrong subject.'

So maybe it's working for me because I'm not loyally focusing on a single subject (i.e. two people on the dancefloor). So if I was solely aiming for one subject then -2 would be ideal but for dancefloor stuff with multiple targets, +2 and could go some way to explain why it seems better.

Chris Giles Photography

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 23, 2018 09:26 |  #1718

Gel wrote in post #18776512 (external link)
It's working better for me than the mid point. To be honest though I've not tried setting it the other way. I read the sensitivity setting being that the higher it is the more sensitive it will be and with the acc / decell tracking it with be more ready to move. Something to try at the next wedding.

Caveat, I didn't rtm.

Edit: Here you go:

'[0] - Standard setting suited for most moving subjects.

[Locked on: -2 / Locked on: -1] - The camera will try to continue focusing the subject even if an obstacle enters the AF points or if the subject strays from the AF points. The -2 setting makes the camera track the target subject longer than with the -1 setting. However, if the camera focuses the wrong subject, it may take slightly longer to switch subjects and refocus the target subject.

[Responsive: +2 / Responsive:+1] Once an AF point tracks a subject, the camera can focus consecutive subjects at different distances. Also effective when you want to always focus on the closest subject. The +2 setting makes it quicker to focus the next consecutive subject than with +1. However, the camera will be more prone to focus on the wrong subject.'

So maybe it's working for me because I'm not loyally focusing on a single subject (i.e. two people on the dancefloor). So if I was solely aiming for one subject then -2 would be ideal but for dancefloor stuff with multiple targets, +2 and could go some way to explain why it seems better.

I shoot weddings as well. I have mine set at slowest setting because I want it to stay locked on the bride and I will re set in on groom when I want to concentrate on him. Interesting that you get good results on a faster setting. I dont want it jumping off to next subject so I have mine set to slow. I have always been told that its the opposite of what we think. We think fast means its quicker to react to changes and stay locked. The experts tell me Slow means is wont switch around as fast and it stays locked on subject better and it does react to another subject . I know I use slow for Birds in flight constantly because I dont want it jumping off the target.. I may be wrong but thats how i have interpreted and how its been explained to me

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited 11 months ago by Gel.

Dec 23, 2018 11:52 |  #1719

umphotography wrote in post #18776560 (external link)
I shoot weddings as well. I have mine set at slowest setting because I want it to stay locked on the bride and I will re set in on groom when I want to concentrate on him. Interesting that you get good results on a faster setting. I dont want it jumping off to next subject so I have mine set to slow. I have always been told that its the opposite of what we think. We think fast means its quicker to react to changes and stay locked. The experts tell me Slow means is wont switch around as fast and it stays locked on subject better and it does react to another subject . I know I use slow for Birds in flight constantly because I dont want it jumping off the target.. I may be wrong but thats how i have interpreted and how its been explained to me

It's interesting how much seems hidden to me with camera settings. I had a bit of a gripe with the R in that when I was using face detect it didn't seem to ready to show me other faces to move to, then my finger slipped and hit a button and it was like the back of the 5D4 again.

There's definitely a huge amount to learn with this camera.

Chris Giles Photography

i-G12
Wat?
1,837 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by i-G12.

Dec 23, 2018 15:19 |  #1720

Gel wrote in post #18776618 (external link)
It's interesting how much seems hidden to me with camera settings. I had a bit of a gripe with the R in that when I was using face detect it didn't seem to ready to show me other faces to move to, then my finger slipped and hit a button and it was like the back of the 5D4 again.

There's definitely a huge amount to learn with this camera.

MatthewK wrote in post #18776289 (external link)
I hate to post up issues because I'm not someone who goes out looking for problems; you won't find me intentionally underexposing photos and pushing sliders 10 stops in posts, blathering on about micro contrast, etc.... that's clown stuff. If I run into an issue, it's during normal use that one would encounter while going about their day.

Anyways, ran into some banding in a few photos from last night. Shooting in my living room, light coming from Hue lamps. It sort of looks like flicker from incandescent lights, but I think i had the anti-flicker on because I was shooting my Christmas tree a few frames prior. Anyways, I haven't seen it in any other photos, and at this point don't think it's a big deal, but I will be keeping an eye out for it while shooting in lower light situations. Noise at 12,800 is so well controlled though, this sensor is nice to work with.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=187​76289&i=i234516879

C Scott IV wrote in post #18776317 (external link)
That is what I saw when trying silent shutter at 1/160th. Turned off silent shutter and is was gone. Someone said the shutter speed was too fast for all the rows of the sensor to record the same amount of light. That was my interpretation anyway.

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18776359 (external link)
Interesting find. I will see if I can replicate it.

Y’all better start a discussion about rolling shutter and how it relates to mirrorless cameras and silent mode.

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by WilsonFlyer.

Dec 23, 2018 17:55 |  #1721

i-G12 wrote in post #18776739 (external link)
Y’all better start a discussion about rolling shutter and how it relates to mirrorless cameras and silent mode.

People worry too much. I just shoot pictures and video, both of which the EOS R excel at. :)

Fortunately for me, my bar doesn't reach above what the EOS R can do in my hands.

nardes
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Gallery: 423 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 11 months ago by nardes.

Dec 23, 2018 18:10 |  #1722

From "wildlife in the parklands" to "wild life in the city". We parked in the parklands car park and the flippy screen helped me get low down with the Eastern Water Dragon.

We then went to the night time Xmas Parade in the city where the EOS R at ISO3200 + Topaz AI Clear, proved a remarkably good combination in managing unwanted noise. :-)

The Xmas parade had street lighting, shop front lighting, etc. so a bit of a hotchpotch of colour balance.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 23, 2018 20:06 |  #1723

C Scott IV wrote in post #18776317 (external link)
That is what I saw when trying silent shutter at 1/160th. Turned off silent shutter and is was gone. Someone said the shutter speed was too fast for all the rows of the sensor to record the same amount of light. That was my interpretation anyway.

Silent shutter = slow rolling electronic shutter. Bad news for fast shutter speeds and any motion of camera, subject, or modulation of lighting. Like a fast shutter speed with the curtains, but much, much worse. Unfortunately, many important photos will be taken in this mode with disastrous results because people don''t realize its weaknesses. It should be called "Strobing Jello Quiet Mode" to give the full picture.

avondale87
Cream of the Crop
5,493 posts
Gallery: 482 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 23, 2018 20:18 |  #1724

John Sheehy wrote in post #18776882 (external link)
Silent shutter = slow rolling electronic shutter. Bad news for fast shutter speeds and any motion of camera, subject, or modulation of lighting. Like a fast shutter speed with the curtains, but much, much worse. Unfortunately, many important photos will be taken in this mode with disastrous results because people don''t realize its weaknesses. It should be called "Strobing Jello Quiet Mode" to give the full picture.

My Olympus has this option and it's advised not to use the electronic shutter if you want quality photos.
Probably a' weekness' not related to specific cameras

Richard

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 23, 2018 20:53 |  #1725

Only small minds and shallow thinking hold back the really talented..... Some of us are beyond such things...

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

935,844 views & 15,345 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.