Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Dec 2018 (Sunday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Strating over with post processing software. Best?

Peano
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 24, 2018 12:23 |  #16

digital paradise wrote in post #18777217 (external link)
I has to go the DNG route for several months and I hated it.

I use PS CS6, and clients sometimes send me raw files from cameras that aren't supported. I haven't found the DNG route bothersome, but I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by digital paradise.

Dec 24, 2018 13:58 |  #17

Just as short list of some of features you will get with LR8. This is just from LR7 (last October) to now.

Embedded & Sidecar import. After import you can cull while LR builds previews.

Range Mask. https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=SFuHYJvBXIQ (external link)

Auto Mask.

Auto Tone has improved a lot. Also called Sensei and is very usable now and is ongoing in development as they train it.

New Colour Profiles. Now the default is Adobe Colour and there more to choose from like landscape, portrait, etc. Adobe Standard is still available. Also a few other sets like Vintage, Artistic, etc.

DeHaze. This was already in the CC 2015 version which morphed into LR7/8. Both Colour Profiles and DeHaze now live in the Basic Window which was long overdue.

Presets where changed from .lrtemplate to .xmp, so that presets are fully compatible with the Camera Raw plug-in. Shared with ACR now.

Preset management. Now you can hide ones you don't often use.

LUT's can now be created.

You can now arrange the order of the Develop windows. For example you can move the Detail window to the top if start working there first. Also long overdue.

Single step panorama merge.

Book module Snap To Grid to accurately align cells to the background grid or other cells.

I can't remember what LR5 had which I started with but now we have these adjustments. Right to left - Crop, Heal and Clone, Red Eye Correction, Graduated filter, Radial filter and Adjustment Brush. All these are very handy. The second image shows the Adjustment Brush when you open it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sidg
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 26, 2018 21:16 |  #18

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
I'm going to download some trial software and see what works best for me.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by mwsilver. (2 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2018 11:58 |  #19

sidg wrote in post #18778547 (external link)
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
I'm going to download some trial software and see what works best for me.

If you want ease of use with less time necessary to complete editing your images, and you don't need a powerful Digital Asset Management tool, and you just want to get the best conversions of your raw files, consider downloading the full trial version of DXO Photolab Elite. It is my favorite LR replacement. it also has one of the best noise reduction tools available anywhere.

In addition you might want to consider downloading the trial versions of DXO Viewpoint and DXO FilmPack Elite, both of which integrate into DXO Photolab and provide significant additional functionality.

Yes, the most recent version of Lightroom does have some functionality not available in Photolab, but for the most part it is not functionality I really care about. What I care about is getting the best results I can from my raw images, and to accomplish that easily and quickly. Photolab is not for everyone, but it may be for you.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 28, 2018 13:57 |  #20

I have DXO PL 1 which I got for Prime. I don't use it as much as I thought I would. When I do use it I always send the file back to LR to take advantage of the DAM and most importantly the export page. I didn't upgrade to V2 because it came out about 5 months after I got V1. It is a possible back up in case I drop the plan. Since I can still use the DAM and export process all will still work, just more cumbersome. In that case I would upgrade because DXO added .dcp access. Lot's can change as I'm in for another year.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by mwsilver. (2 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2018 20:17 |  #21

digital paradise wrote in post #18779635 (external link)
I have DXO PL 1 which I got for Prime. I don't use it as much as I thought I would. When I do use it I always send the file back to LR to take advantage of the DAM and most importantly the export page. I didn't upgrade to V2 because it came out about 5 months after I got V1. It is a possible back up in case I drop the plan. Since I can still use the DAM and export process all will still work, just more cumbersome. In that case I would upgrade because DXO added .dcp access. Lot's can change as I'm in for another year.

DXO is developing a DAM which is in version 2, although its still very limited in its ability and a lot more rudimentary than the one in Lightroom. But. no import is necessary. I never took advantage of Lightroom' DAM, and the need to important before editing was a major negative from my perspective. I understand that Lightroom has improved quite a bit since I stopped using 6.14, but found when I first switched that PhotoLab gave me far superior results in half the time. There are some features In Lightroom that I would like to see in Photolab and vice versa. We are expecting a number of updated and new features in the upcoming point releases in 2019, the first one is apparently due in a few weeks.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,964 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2018 19:42 |  #22

mwsilver wrote in post #18779870 (external link)
DXO is developing a DAM which is in version 2, although its still very limited in its ability and a lot more rudimentary than the one in Lightroom. But. no import is necessary. I never took advantage of Lightroom' DAM, and the need to important before editing was a major negative from my perspective. I understand that Lightroom has improved quite a bit since I stopped using 6.14, but found when I first switched that PhotoLab gave me far superior results in half the time. There are some features In Lightroom that I would like to see in Photolab and vice versa. We are expecting a number of updated and new features in the upcoming point releases in 2019, the first one is apparently due in a few weeks.

There is one huge issue with any DAM system that doesn't use a database for the underlying management, speed. If you need real DAM, and not just a filemanager with the ablity to read/display the current image's EXIF/IPTC data cleanly, you need to be working with a database. Many advanced DAM features rely in being able to sort images quickly on multiple criteria from those EXIF/IPTC fields. You see this when you compare Lr with Bridge even, as Br is now pretty close to much of Lr, without the need to import. Br now has a Smart Collection option, but this is really only useful if you are looking at a limited number of images. If I look at the comparison that I did a couple of years ago, back when I had between 40K and 50K images in the collection I tried to build a fairly simple smart collection, that was going to return around 300 or so images. Switching to the collection Lr would have the entire catalogue database searched in less time than it takes to draw the screen. Bridge was still scanning my HDD some 36 hours later.

The problem for Br, and any other system that is nothing more than a glorified filemanager is that in order to do a search you have to open either the original file, or in the case of Br the associated .xmp file for every image, and read the EXIF/IPTC data individually. Just try reading data from 50000 files on your file system. You then have to repeat this process every time you need to run the data search on the images. I spend far more time working in Smart Collections in Lr, which are really nothing more than saved complex searches, than I ever do working in folders. Using the Smart Collections is pretty much like using folders, but with the advantage that multiple images can be in multiple different Smart Collections at the same time, while only needing a single copy of the file. So unless a DAM application can do this for me it is not really of much help to me. I actually moved from Bridge to Lr, at the time the Lr4 Public Beta was released because of the need for complex sorting of images.

Finally I will say that Br is now a free download from Adobe, you no longer need to have a licence for one of the suite programs to use it. All you need is an email account to register with Adobe then use the Adobe Creative Cloud downloader to get Br. I find that it is a very good filemanager for image and other media files, especially in formats that Adobe support with software. So although I would not be without Lr I also have Br installed for use with media files that are not part of my Lr catalogue, including the files I might have just exported from Lr for use elsewhere.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,589 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 29, 2018 20:02 |  #23

I guess I am an old fuddy duddy, but I use DPP since it always supports any Canon raw file, and it is free, and I run the resulting JPG or TIFF through CS5. Never paid a monthly fee and don't see a need to do so, as the tools I use all work great (DPP, CS5, Noiseware, Nik).

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 29, 2018 22:55 |  #24

BigAl007 wrote in post #18780511 (external link)
There is one huge issue with any DAM system that doesn't use a database for the underlying management, speed. If you need real DAM, and not just a filemanager with the ablity to read/display the current image's EXIF/IPTC data cleanly, you need to be working with a database. Many advanced DAM features rely in being able to sort images quickly on multiple criteria from those EXIF/IPTC fields. You see this when you compare Lr with Bridge even, as Br is now pretty close to much of Lr, without the need to import. Br now has a Smart Collection option, but this is really only useful if you are looking at a limited number of images. If I look at the comparison that I did a couple of years ago, back when I had between 40K and 50K images in the collection I tried to build a fairly simple smart collection, that was going to return around 300 or so images. Switching to the collection Lr would have the entire catalogue database searched in less time than it takes to draw the screen. Bridge was still scanning my HDD some 36 hours later.

The problem for Br, and any other system that is nothing more than a glorified filemanager is that in order to do a search you have to open either the original file, or in the case of Br the associated .xmp file for every image, and read the EXIF/IPTC data individually. Just try reading data from 50000 files on your file system. You then have to repeat this process every time you need to run the data search on the images. I spend far more time working in Smart Collections in Lr, which are really nothing more than saved complex searches, than I ever do working in folders. Using the Smart Collections is pretty much like using folders, but with the advantage that multiple images can be in multiple different Smart Collections at the same time, while only needing a single copy of the file. So unless a DAM application can do this for me it is not really of much help to me. I actually moved from Bridge to Lr, at the time the Lr4 Public Beta was released because of the need for complex sorting of images.

Finally I will say that Br is now a free download from Adobe, you no longer need to have a licence for one of the suite programs to use it. All you need is an email account to register with Adobe then use the Adobe Creative Cloud downloader to get Br. I find that it is a very good filemanager for image and other media files, especially in formats that Adobe support with software. So although I would not be without Lr I also have Br installed for use with media files that are not part of my Lr catalogue, including the files I might have just exported from Lr for use elsewhere.

Alan

Actually DXO Photolab has a database, you just don't need to import images in to it before you begin editing.

Mark

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 29, 2018 22:57 |  #25

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18780531 (external link)
I guess I am an old fuddy duddy, but I use DPP since it always supports any Canon raw file, and it is free, and I run the resulting JPG or TIFF through CS5. Never paid a monthly fee and don't see a need to do so, as the tools I use all work great (DPP, CS5, Noiseware, Nik).

I use DPP as well, although far less than I used to. Photolab, IMHO, is just so much better in almost every respect.

Mark

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,739 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by kirkt. (4 edits in all)

Dec 31, 2018 09:41 |  #26

sidg wrote in post #18776582 (external link)
Have used LR 3 and PS programs for a lot of years with older cameras.
Never needed a lot of PS and have done some basic work in processing with LR but I'm not what I would say is proficient. So now I have a new camera body that LR3 doesn't support and rather than just jump into LR CC I'm wondering what are other options I should explore.
What would you recommend and why?

What camera are you now trying to support and what OS do you use? Other than providing suggestions based on my personal experience, it is difficult to know what specific workflow might be best suited for you without a little more info.

In general, most applications nowadays offer free trials, with or without restrictions and limitations. There are four general categories of applications into which most tools can be grouped:

1. Raw converters
2. Image editors
3. The filter/effect/do-everything applications
4. Specialty applications

Like anything else, your personal workflow preferences will likely dictate the approach you prefer to adopt and which application(s) fit that approach.

Examples of each application type:

1. Raw converters: Lightroom/ACR; your camera-specific application supplied by the manufacturer; Capture One; DxO PhotoLab; Raw Therapee; Iridient Developer*; Raw Photo Processor*; Darktable; SilkyPix; Picktorial*; Raw Power*, dcraw (* = Mac Only).

2. Image editors: (most have raw conversion capability built-in): Photoshop/Elements/Aft​er Effects; Affinity Photo; PhotoLine; Pixelmator*; Acorn; several others.

3. Filter/Effect/Do-Everything: OnOne PhotoRaw; Topaz Studio; Skylum Luminar; AlienSkin Exposure; Digital Film Tools.

4. Specialty apps: For HDR: Photomatix, Skylum AuroraHDR, SNS-HDR (PC only), LumaRiverHDR*, HDR Expose, Enfuse/enblend and others. For pano-stitching: PTGui, AutoPano (no longer being sold), Hugin (free, open source). For focus-stacking: Enfuse/enblend, Zyrene Stacker, Helicon Focus. For astrophotography: Deep Sky Stacker, PixInsight and others. For image processing: ImageJ/Fiji, Matlab/Octave, etc. For raw file evaluation and image culling: Raw Digger and Fast Raw Viewer.

I have trialed, or use(d), all of these except Photoshop Elements and Deep Sky Stacker for various reasons and various tasks over the years. If you have specific questions about any of them, I would be happy to give you my best effort at answering your queries. I am a Mac user, but I run various applications that are PC-only under Parallels (SNS-HDR, for example).

As far as a DAM goes, there seems to be groups of folks who place the presence of a DAM at the top of the priority list and others who do not use a DAM and who dislike applications that force the user to import images into a DAM (like Lightroom, for example). There are applications that will manage files outside of a specific image-editing environment that may be more adaptable to the way you work - on the Mac, I use the OS's Finder to sort by various EXIF data, and I also use an application called NeoFinder that is purpose-built for asset management (image files, PDFs, anything). I do not use a DAM, and I do not keyword and all that jazz that some photographers love to do and insist on doing. On the Mac, you can add keywords to image files in the OS, if that's how you roll. Bottom line, although many DAM-centric photographers yearn for the elusive DAM that frees them from Lightroom, their OS or a third-party asset manager is probably better-suited for most of these tasks in many cases, but it is not tightly integrated with an image editing application. The trade-off is convenience versus flexibility.

Some people like to try to work on images in a single environment, while others like to apportion specific tasks to specific applications. Whatever works for you. Here is a website that goes over, in excruciating detail, the best practice for a digital imaging workflow:

https://www.dpbestflow​.org (external link)

This may help you plan a strategy for your workflow needs beyond the choice of image-editing applications.

Have fun - you have a lot of choices.

kirk

PS - if you use a camera that has some quirks - like the Fujifilm X-Trans sensors (i shoot with a Fujifilm X-H1 after shooting with Canon 5D cameras for about 16 years) - then your choices may be somewhat more limited or you may need to recruit a more involved workflow to use a specific application. For example, I used DxO raw converters for years with my Canon raw files but even the most recent incarnation of the DxO raw converter (PhotoLab 2) does not support X-Trans sensors.

Kirk
---

sponsored links

2,831 views & 13 likes for this thread
Strating over with post processing software. Best?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.