Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

i-G12
Wat?
2,245 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by i-G12.

Jan 03, 2019 21:01 |  #1996

randy98mtu wrote in post #18783975 (external link)
I read that review today as well. People thought the first iPhone was crazy too and laughed at me when I paid $600 for the thing. Look where we are now...

And today Apple revised their first quarter gross revenues 'downward' to $85 Billion and people are freaking out.

:rolleyes:

RodS57
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 03, 2019 21:31 |  #1997

i-G12 wrote in post #18783981 (external link)
And today Apple revised their first quarter gross revenues 'downward' to $85 Billion and people are freaking out.

:rolleyes:

That's nice but canon, like apple did years ago, is pricing themselves out of the consumer market for the average person.

Where I live:
Latest and greatest iPhone is a bit over one grand (no contract); RF 28-70 sticker price is $3900. Get apple to put the iPhone to 3900 and see what happens to sales. Depending on the price of the 7D3 my next camera could be an 80D.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,841 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 03, 2019 22:49 |  #1998

Lol.. What is going on in this thread?
Apple, Sigma, Lambos, Colossus, Squirrels, Photoshop, Canon hmmmm did i miss something? :-P

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,748 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 03, 2019 23:09 |  #1999

randy98mtu wrote in post #18783536 (external link)
How is the R at focusing with just the 2x at f/11? I was able to get my 5D4 to AF in live view with that combo, but not my A7R3. I think I'd like to get a 1.4 or 2x down the road and this will be a big factor for me. Thanks!

I only gave it a brief run with only the 2X. I will be trying that more in the future.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,748 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 03, 2019 23:27 |  #2000

John Sheehy wrote in post #18783495 (external link)
AF that works accurately at high f-numbers and/or low light (even if slow or needing initial hints) is going to give TCs a better reputation in the future. Sure, TCs add a small amount of aberration themselves, but I believe that with good TCs, it is always better to use them than than to crop, except when focus is difficult or impossible with the TCs. Loss of AF or fast AF is the only reason I ever crop instead of using a TC.

Stacking TCs will become far more common IMHO. I have been able to get great results with stacked TCs before the R, but it's a very low keeper rate.
I have used double beanbags to support the camera and lens (on a boulder), silent shooting or mirror lockup to minimize any equipment movement.
It's achieving focus using focus ring on an AF lens which is much more difficult than a MF lens that is the biggest challenge.

Having to help the AF a little (on the R) is a very minor issue. What has surprised me is the shutter vibration. It is significant.

Taken yesterday on a loose ball head. Small crop then big crop (8.4MP of original 30MP)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dave
Image editing OK

Lester ­ Wareham
29,794 posts
Gallery: 3045 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 04, 2019 02:51 |  #2001

MatthewK wrote in post #18783884 (external link)
Agreed, that’s the same for me. I’m looking for the plastic, light weight pancakes in 35 and 50 with sensational IQ to make the R a somewhat smaller, inconspicuous kit. A non-L kit lens with killer IQ with a smaller aperture. All of the R lenses so far are gargantuan, let’s see how they innovate smaller.

This was what I was expecting for a compact EVF body too.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,748 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 04, 2019 03:38 |  #2002

MatthewK wrote in post #18783884 (external link)
Agreed, that’s the same for me. I’m looking for the plastic, light weight pancakes in 35 and 50 with sensational IQ to make the R a somewhat smaller, inconspicuous kit. A non-L kit lens with killer IQ with a smaller aperture. All of the R lenses so far are gargantuan, let’s see how they innovate smaller.

My view is there are at least two 'normal' sized lenses. The 35 and the 24-105.
The 28-70 f2, we have no other lens from any manufacturer to compare to. I believe the size and weight is as to be expected for the zoom range and speed.
The 50 1.2 therefore is the only one of four lenses I'd agree is gargantuan and that means we need a new superlative for the Sigma 105 f1.4. Super gargantuan? :-)

It's early days, 4 lenses. Lightweight 35 and 50 pancakes are on my wish list too and if Canon don't provide I'm sure others will.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,748 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 04, 2019 03:45 |  #2003

randy98mtu wrote in post #18783557 (external link)
So nobody has gotten the 28-70 yet? I'm thinking it should be nicknamed "Colossus"

Chubby.
Do you like my chubby? Can I see your chubby? I'm getting a chubby just looking at your chubby...
So many more amusing conversations can be had.

Dave
Image editing OK

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,995 posts
Gallery: 1020 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 04, 2019 03:46 |  #2004

randy98mtu wrote in post #18783892 (external link)
I'm guessing the 35mm is about as small as it will get. Perhaps a 50mm f/1.8-2.8 will be a bit smaller. If you want small and light, the EOS M system is phenomenal. Definitely slower than the R, but very capable and take really fantastic images.

I'm talking about 'pancake' lenses, like the EF 40mm f/2.8. Small, flat, plastic, light :) But as you point out, that RF 35mm f/1.8 is quite small, and would be nice on the R body.

Doesn't matter though, even if they release one today, I'm not buying anything until 2020 :-P

russbecker
362 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 04, 2019 06:30 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #2005

Doesn't matter though, even if they release one today, I'm not buying anything until 2020

Famous last words...

7D2 | 80D | Fuji X-H1 | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Fuji XF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Neewer X 25mm f/1.8 | Neewer X 32mm f/1.6

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,995 posts
Gallery: 1020 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 04, 2019 06:53 |  #2006

russbecker wrote in post #18784176 (external link)
Famous last words...

Unfortunately, based on historical data, you'd be correct :-( This time is different though, I swear!

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,791 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 04, 2019 07:40 |  #2007

randy98mtu wrote in post #18783690 (external link)
So as usual, a simple, innocent question turns things on their head.

I agree Jake that sensors are getting better and better. I shoot my EOS R in ISO auto and let it go up to 12800 and I am very happy with what I get. When I shot my 40D, I was afraid to go over 800.

That sounds a bit off. I bet its more like 800 vs 4000, maybe 5000.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by randy98mtu.

Jan 04, 2019 08:12 |  #2008

John Sheehy wrote in post #18784191 (external link)
That sounds a bit off. I bet its more like 800 vs 4000, maybe 5000.

How much have you shot your EOS R at 12,800? You are right, I just looked at my Lightroom keepers metadata and I had a few shots at ISO 1600 from the 40D. Looks like the 5D3 was my previous favorite in ISO performance. I have quite a few shots at 12,800 from it. Not 1 keeper in my catalog from the 5D4, A7R2 or A7R3 at 12,800. But I think I became obsessed with noise. I'm now shooting in ISO auto on both my A7R3 and my EOS R and I'm very happy with everything I'm getting.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader.

Jan 04, 2019 08:15 as a reply to  @ John Sheehy's post |  #2009

It does not sound off to me at all...

If you look back to just a few years ago to what a family guy had to record his young children in their adolescence. This camera smashes everything out of the water..

It has super video in 1080p / 4k if you need... the 1080p from this camera rivals may others many times over... Video AF is the best in the business right now.

Amazing low light AF and decent performance up to and including iso 12,800 and beyond...

Go look at the junk you took of the family a short time ago around the Christmas tree or outside on the toboggan hill.. special moments... yes... Their not the prettiest or the most technically correct images I'm sure.

The world is very diverse John and many of us do not see the world as you do... There is NOT only one path... Its incredible to me to think you believe there is only one answer to every question... YOURS...

Any single person makes a statement of their joy of using this camera you contradict them and make them feel wronged... personally I've had more than I care to watch..

There have been others on the earth that thought they had all the answers... welcome to their party..

In August 2012 I jointed this forum called POTN... It was a fun group of individuals sharing Images and checking each others work in a friendly polite manner which was head and shoulders above the rest.... I was not the photographer then that I am today... And mostly because of the people in here that helped me along the way with many PM's and conversations on the forum pages... I say ..... Thanks to you guys... only my addiction to POTN brings me back everyday.. but if I learned anything after quitting smoking...
don't know how many years ago............. I can quit just about anything...

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 04, 2019 08:21 |  #2010

Pondrader wrote in post #18784202 (external link)
It does not sound off to me at all...

If you look back to just a few years ago to what a family guy had to record his young children in their adolescence. This camera smashes everything out of the water..

It has super video in 1080p / 4k if you need... the 1080p from this camera rivals may others many times over... Video AF is the best in the business right now.

Amazing low light AF and decent performance up to and including iso 12,800 and beyond...

Go look at the junk you took of the family a short time ago around the Christmas tree or outside on the toboggan hill.. special moments... yes... Their not the prettiest or the most technically correct images I'm sure.

The world is very diverse John and many of us do not see the world as you do... There is NOT only one path... Its incredible to me to think you believe there is only one answer to every question... YOURS...

Any single person makes a statement of their joy of using this camera you contradict them and make them feel wronged... personally I've had more than I care to watch..

There have been others on the earth that thought they had all the answers... welcome to their party..

In August 2012 I jointed this forum called POTN... It was a fun group of individuals sharing Images and checking each others work in a friendly polite manner which was head and shoulders above the rest.... I was not the photographer then that I am today... And mostly because of the people in here that helped me along the way with many PM's and conversations on the forum pages... I say ..... Thanks to you guys... only my addiction to POTN brings me back everyday.. but if I learned anything after quitting smoking...
don't know how many years ago............. I can quit just about anything...

Don't quit over the vocal minority, Jeff. He just doesn't know any better.

I am shooting 10x as much video with this camera than any other SLR I've owned. I have embraced the crop because I'm sure that's what enables the insane stabilization. Seriously, the A7R3 video looks unstabilized and schizophrenic by comparison to video shot moments before or after with the EOS R.

Seems to me the only people who don't like this camera and are speaking out against it are people who don't own it or haven't given it a real chance. It continues to grow on me.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

2,146,864 views & 27,548 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.