Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,860 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 04, 2019 08:50 |  #2011

Choderboy wrote in post #18784113 (external link)
My view is there are at least two 'normal' sized lenses. The 35 and the 24-105.
The 28-70 f2, we have no other lens from any manufacturer to compare to. I believe the size and weight is as to be expected for the zoom range and speed.
The 50 1.2 therefore is the only one of four lenses I'd agree is gargantuan and that means we need a new superlative for the Sigma 105 f1.4. Super gargantuan? :-)

It's early days, 4 lenses. Lightweight 35 and 50 pancakes are on my wish list too and if Canon don't provide I'm sure others will.

Mark My words

when the 105R is announced and in production, there will be a rush to go to these R bodies. The Sigma 105 Art is remarkable. Who would have ever thought that you could get 200F/2.0 performance from a 105mm lens. If it is anywhere near the 50R in terms of sharpness, color and contrast, Not many are going to buy a 200F/2.0. Really no need

The optics on these new R lens are impressive to say the least

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,860 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 04, 2019 08:53 |  #2012

Choderboy wrote in post #18784044 (external link)
Stacking TCs will become far more common IMHO. I have been able to get great results with stacked TCs before the R, but it's a very low keeper rate.
I have used double beanbags to support the camera and lens (on a boulder), silent shooting or mirror lockup to minimize any equipment movement.
It's achieving focus using focus ring on an AF lens which is much more difficult than a MF lens that is the biggest challenge.

Having to help the AF a little (on the R) is a very minor issue. What has surprised me is the shutter vibration. It is significant.

Taken yesterday on a loose ball head. Small crop then big crop (8.4MP of original 30MP)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Choderboy in
./showthread.php?p=187​84044&i=i136568230
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Choderboy in
./showthread.php?p=187​84044&i=i230726197
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

wowzers. That is sharp especially for TC's. Just a wow for me

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
3,279 posts
Gallery: 726 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2019 09:44 |  #2013

Pondrader wrote in post #18784202 (external link)
It does not sound off to me at all...

Go look at the junk you took of the family a short time ago around the Christmas tree or outside on the toboggan hill.. special moments... yes... Their not the prettiest or the most technically correct images I'm sure.

Any single person makes a statement of their joy of using this camera you contradict them and make them feel wronged... personally I've had more than I care to watch..

In August 2012 I jointed this forum called POTN... It was a fun group of individuals sharing Images and checking each others work in a friendly polite manner which was head and shoulders above the rest.... I was not the photographer then that I am today... And mostly because of the people in here that helped me along the way with many PM's and conversations on the forum pages... I say ..... Thanks to you guys... only my addiction to POTN brings me back everyday.. but if I learned anything after quitting smoking...
don't know how many years ago............. I can quit just about anything...

Wait, what??? He has posted pictures??? checking profile it says he last posted a picture in 2014

The gun forum I frequent has a wonderful “ignore” feature that lets you blacklist members and never see their posts (unless someone quotes them). I don’t use it because I kinda like watching the train wreck that usually follows as that type of person steps on their d... Don’t know if this forum has the feature or not.

Don’t quit POTN, your work is one of it’s best features as far as I am concerned. Just quit looking at crap posts.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R5, R6, M6 Mark II, and a bunch of glass...

russbecker
361 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 04, 2019 09:45 |  #2014

It definitely appears that the EOS R is capable of breathing new life into old and not so old glass, like the TCs. That is very intriguing to me. Further, this is just the first R camera body. Having the ability to use all of your existing glass plus access the new, just over the horizon, RF glass is a real plus.

I fear there are New Years Resolutions that are not going to age well.

7D2 | 80D | Fuji X-H1 | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Fuji XF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Neewer X 25mm f/1.8 | Neewer X 32mm f/1.6

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,744 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 04, 2019 10:19 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #2015

I tried with 1DX2 and got good results but not easy manually focusing an AF lens.

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1500​465&page=1

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,744 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 04, 2019 10:27 |  #2016

Advantage EVF. Now I am only risking melting aperture blades and the R sensor, which would of course hurt, but my eyes are safe.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dave
Image editing OK

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 04, 2019 11:05 |  #2017

LoneRider wrote in post #18784242 (external link)
Don’t quit POTN, your work is one of it’s best features as far as I am concerned. Just quit looking at crap posts.

Agreed, I love seeing your work, so more time taking pics and less time reading what other people say please :)

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 04, 2019 11:21 |  #2018

Finally got my hands on an R today;

Instantly felt comfy to hold, very happy with that.

EVF was terrible, until I adjusted the little wheel so it was in focus, much better after that, but, I still found it weird to use, especially the delay coming on when you bring it to your eye.

Adjustment wheel wasn't in a comfortable spot, at all, it almost hurt my finger to come back that far and operate it.

'AF ON' seemed like a small button and again didn't seem to fall to hand, not great for BBF.

Loved the control ring, it was set for exposure adjustment, just superb seeing that work.

24-105 surprisingly compact, suited the camera well.

I was expecting the control bar to be tactile somehow, some sort of click so show it's locked/unlocked, like a page turn on a kindle, but it just wasn't, so almost seemed dead, no feedback.

I struggled with the touch screen, I couldn't seem to get it to focus on any one thing, seemed the best I could get was a general area, that really put me off, almost felt like I had no control over it. But, that may be because it wasn't set up right, also the salesman didn't seem to give a monkeys and when I asked what experience he had with it and how he got it to work best he bluntly said 'none' and walked off.

So, sadly not immediately sold on it, and my eye couldn't help but be drawn to the A7III on my way out.......

So, I need people to persuade me about the auto focus, the ability to quickly change focus points, how good it is etc, in hindsight that's the one thing that really put me off.

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 04, 2019 12:09 |  #2019

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18784301 (external link)
[...]

So, I need people to persuade me about the auto focus, the ability to quickly change focus points, how good it is etc, in hindsight that's the one thing that really put me off.

I was a fairly vocal critic of the touch and drag AF at first. I did not like it. At all.

After a couple of weeks I was able to move the AF point with the same speed as the joystick on the 5D4 (and 1DXii). But with the R, you have way more area to cover and you can place the point exactly where you need it.

For me, there is only one combination of settings that works. I need all three: touch sensitivity needs to be set to high, AF movement needs to be set to relative, and I need only the right half of the screen enabled. Any other settings were very frustrating for me.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 04, 2019 12:11 |  #2020

LoneRider wrote in post #18784242 (external link)
Wait, what??? He has posted pictures??? checking profile it says he last posted a picture in 2014

The gun forum I frequent has a wonderful “ignore” feature that lets you blacklist members and never see their posts (unless someone quotes them). I don’t use it because I kinda like watching the train wreck that usually follows as that type of person steps on their d... Don’t know if this forum has the feature or not.

This forum has the Ignore feature. Just click on the person's username and then click on "Add to your ignore list."

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,076 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 04, 2019 12:24 |  #2021

MatthewK wrote in post #18784119 (external link)
I'm talking about 'pancake' lenses, like the EF 40mm f/2.8. Small, flat, plastic, light :) But as you point out, that RF 35mm f/1.8 is quite small, and would be nice on the R body.

Doesn't matter though, even if they release one today, I'm not buying anything until 2020 :-P

Just saw your new sig,...

Bwahahahahah  :p

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by Gel.

Jan 04, 2019 12:38 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #2022

Do any of you guys know of a quicker way to jump from one af type to another? I'd liek to move from single point af to face detect (those are the only two options I have enabled) but can't seem to find it.

Obligatory photo:

HOSTED PHOTO

Chris Giles Photography

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,744 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 04, 2019 12:43 as a reply to  @ Gel's post |  #2023

Have you seen this?

HOSTED PHOTO

Dave
Image editing OK

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Gallery: 1004 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 04, 2019 12:50 |  #2024

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18784356 (external link)
Just saw your new sig,...

Bwahahahahah  :p

So far so good, 4 days down, 361 to go!

Tarheel42
93 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 04, 2019 12:52 |  #2025

ozziepuppy wrote in post #18784348 (external link)
This forum has the Ignore feature. Just click on the person's username and then click on "Add to your ignore list."

After that you can go to "your FYEO page". Scroll down to "Friends/Ignored", then down to the modes section. There you can select which mode you prefer to use.

2,099,769 views & 27,353 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.