Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2019 (Saturday) 14:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bad Smelling T6

snegron
256 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 05, 2019 14:35 |  #1

I just purchased a new Canon T6 with 2 kit lenses from B&H and noticed something strange; the 18-55 kit lens smells really bad, like body odor!

Not joking, it smells really bad. I noticed the smell seems to be more noticeable toward the front of the lens. The body, 75-300 kit lens and shoulder bag don't smell bad, only the 18-55 lens.

I purchased a similar kit years ago (T3i with same 18-55 kit lens), but never remember it smelling this bad.

Anyone else encountered this issue? If so, does the smell go away? Is there a way to get rid of the smell? Other than the horrible smell, there is nothing wrong with the lens.

p.s. The smell sticks to my hands and lingers a bit even after washing my hands thoroughly with soap and water.

sponsored links
HyperCams
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 05, 2019 15:03 |  #2

I would send it back immediately. Either it's used and holy crap does that sound disgusting, or it's some kind of manufacturing defect or.....
Either way, they (B&H and possibly canon) need to be made aware so it doesn't happen again.
Pretty sure the store will help you with this issue.
Good luck and report back here with results.

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

chuckmiller
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 05, 2019 19:53 |  #3

Is this a first for everyone here?

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,458 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 05, 2019 21:07 |  #4

chuckmiller wrote in post #18785404 (external link)
Is this a first for everyone here?

It sure is!

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

shocolite
227 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 05, 2019 22:21 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #5

As the saying goes "where there's muck, there's money" but in this case I rather not have a smelly lens! Never had this issue either with new or old lenses.

Canon 80D, 700D & G7 X; EF-S 10-18/18-135 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS USM, 50 F1.4, 100 F2.8L Macro, 16-35 F4L, 70-200 F4L IS; 100-400 L II, Speedlite 430EX II

ejenner
Goldmember
3,794 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by ejenner.

Jan 05, 2019 23:26 |  #6

Actually I have heard of several camera and lenses having odd smells. I remember someone saying their camera smelt strongly or marijuana - that was quite an entertaining thread. Not heard of anything that sticks to your hands though.

Yes, I would send it back. Either ask for a replacement or just return it B&H are good about returns and I would get they would rather replace than refund.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2019 23:40 |  #7

That is what you call a HOT body!! LOL

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 06, 2019 07:41 |  #8

ejenner wrote in post #18785530 (external link)
Actually I have heard of several camera and lenses having odd smells. I remember someone saying their camera smelt strongly or marijuana - that was quite an entertaining thread. Not heard of anything that sticks to your hands though.

Yes, I would send it back. Either ask for a replacement or just return it B&H are good about returns and I would get they would rather replace than refund.

I emailed their customer service, waiting for a response. I'm hoping they can just switch out the lens without having to return the entire kit. Everything else works (smells) normal.

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 06, 2019 08:00 |  #9

Quick note for those of you who think this is either a prank or I'm some wacked out, over reacting newbie buying "his first cheap camera kit";

This smell coming from the lens is real. I have owned dozens of dslr's and lenses (look up my previous posts), and I have never encountered an issue like this.

Also, this is not a case of buyers remorse. I specifically purchased this cheap kit to take with me on overseas travel. It was the same price as a point and shoot ($399 for body, 2 kit lenses and 16g card). My reasoning is that the sensor is bigger than most point and shoots in this price range, plus if it gets lost or stolen I wouldn't care that much.

Last time I purchased a similar kit (T3i) was a few years ago for similar reasons, end up giving it to my kid. No issues with the lenses ir camera that time.

I attempted to clean the surface of the lens with a disinfectant wet wipe, then with isopropyl alchol. Smell is less potent but still detectable.

I contacted customer service at B&H and requested to see about exchanging the lens. Worst case scenario I'll buy another kit lens (from another online vendor of course) then throw this one away,

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,969 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 06, 2019 08:06 |  #10

This thread is like a Seinfeld episode.

Another instance that reminded me of a different Seinfeld episode was buying a used Super tele. It smelled like the beach.
(Old lens coats, made of neoprene, ie same material as a wetsuit, smell just like an old wetsuit unsurprisingly.) :-)

Dave
Image editing OK

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,781 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jan 06, 2019 08:11 |  #11

Must be old Chet gear :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

chuckmiller
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 06, 2019 08:14 |  #12

I don't see in this thread where anyone has questioned your word. To have a new lens come with an odor that will transfer to your fingers is pretty rare. I've heard of burned smells when something electrical inside goes kaput but not this.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,969 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 06, 2019 08:15 |  #13

Google was no help in identifying possible smells similar to BO.
But it did lead me to this question:
Would you say the smell is more like cheese, or more like onions or grapefruit?

Dave
Image editing OK

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,258 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 06, 2019 09:14 |  #14

snegron wrote in post #18785687 (external link)
I attempted to clean the surface of the lens with a disinfectant wet wipe, then with isopropyl alchol. Smell is less potent but still detectable.

Probably best you not mention this in discussion with B&H.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,351 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 9 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Jan 06, 2019 10:16 |  #15

Is it possible during packing, showing the gear, or something that a sweaty worker tucked the lens under their arm pit to have both hands free to hold the camera body.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links

2,410 views & 18 likes for this thread
Bad Smelling T6
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.