Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 10, 2019 03:31 |  #2191

MatthewK wrote in post #18788217 (external link)
Chris, this is just outstanding work. I'd absolutely hire you for my wedding.

Thanks Matthew! This forum was the first place I went to when I started out - asking simple stuff like 'Why is there only half the image showing when I use flash' and other golden noob nuggets :D

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,741 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 10, 2019 03:40 |  #2192

Have not posted in awhile because i have not used this camera as much as i should since i have been working like crazy. I have to be thankful for that though :love:
Here is a pic of the boy of the house from a few minutes ago as i was playing a bit with the R

IMAGE: http://i67.tinypic.com/ilbnno.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,263 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2019 03:42 as a reply to  @ DigitalTuned's post |  #2193

Such soulful eyes

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

Cuttlefish
268 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 10, 2019 07:46 |  #2194

Pondrader wrote in post #18787776 (external link)
This was interesting... It confirm's to me that the R is what we are stuck with for a while.. Canon did say its an addition to your existing gear so its not surprise really that the higher level camera was not sitting in boxes waiting to ship.. " A dream I had " lol .....

So in the mean time we're making the best of it.... Exploring the details and snapping at what ever moves
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​87776&i=i136593841
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Astounding, simply wonderful capture :-)

The combination of the EOS-R and the 100-400L II really troubles me because I love some of the photos here with that combo but I have two little children to bring up :rolleyes:

7D & 450D | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon 24-105L | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Manfrotto 055XPROB & 804RC2 | SpeedLite 430EX II & 2 x YN560 II. Bowens Gemini 500R Studio lighting kit

bbqkid8
298 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2019 08:09 |  #2195

LoneRider wrote in post #18788400 (external link)
Wait a second, haven’t you heard the R is no good for sports? AF tracking is no good, can’t keep up :-P

I likely didn't pick the best pictures. After processing some more there are better ones that I should have chosen. But I do have another chance to shoot basketball today. We'll see how that goes. In retrospect, I probably should have taken more care when processing these photos, but my players just want these pics up asap on their Twitter feed so I kinda rushed them.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,197 posts
Gallery: 777 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 10, 2019 08:40 |  #2196

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18788590 (external link)
I likely didn't pick the best pictures. After processing some more there are better ones that I should have chosen. But I do have another chance to shoot basketball today. We'll see how that goes. In retrospect, I probably should have taken more care when processing these photos, but my players just want these pics up asap on their Twitter feed so I kinda rushed them.

Your photos are just fine, Brian. He was being factious :-)

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

squashed
Goldmember
4,141 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 10, 2019 08:57 |  #2197

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18788590 (external link)

So how was the focus on sports. Got any details for the nay sayers ? (Can't wait to give it a shot myself)

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2019 09:54 |  #2198

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18788088 (external link)
Canon NAILED that adapter (and they could and they knew they had to) and there's very little credit given for it. All my EFs and EF-Ss work as well or BETTER on the R than they do on any of my other Canon bodies.

There is no limit to how well future bodies can see AF and attempt to drive older lenses, speaking their native protocol. This isn't like Sony bodies talking to Canon lenses with an interpreter slowing down and confusing the talk. The only permanent limit is the AF motor speed play in the lenses that may need a reverse of direction for final adjustment.

What you are reporting seems to be true for static subject use, especially in poor light and/or high open f-ratios. For following active subjects around at f/2.8 - f/5.6 with AIServo in good light, people don't seem to be quite as impressed. It would be nice if newer DSLRs could transform between EVF and OVF, and have R-like sensor AF and DSLR-OVF AF, each used when it is best for the context; both through the viewfinder. Rear LCD for narrow fields of view, hand-held, is a disaster.

I'm sure I'll buy some RF lenses over time as I commit further to the platform (and I am 100% committed to this platform), but right now, I have very little motivation or real incentive to start replacing anything I have. It's worth noting, I believe, that all of my glass is G1. I don't own any G2s or G3s aside from my two extenders.

Going to a higher MP count or to AF that is better for your situations is worthwhile, even without upgraded glass. Upgrading glass is an opportunity, not a sensor-created necessity. An old lens with more veiling glare and softer image corners still gives better results when you increase your pixel count from lower than 30MP.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 10, 2019 10:27 |  #2199

Cuttlefish wrote in post #18788577 (external link)
Astounding, simply wonderful capture :-)

The combination of the EOS-R and the 100-400L II really troubles me because I love some of the photos here with that combo but I have two little children to bring up :rolleyes:

I should tell you my kids are 31, 34, 36 and it really gets no better with time.. you signed up for a life time of payment... lol. Sorry  :p:-P

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

squashed
Goldmember
4,141 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 10, 2019 13:30 |  #2200

Lessar Goldfinch.... in other words, my squirrel :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Molson1020
157 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 10, 2019 13:38 |  #2201

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7820/45777305645_9cb0b2bac7_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2cKb​E7r  (external link) IMG_2459 (external link) by Matt Olson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4895/31751082287_90bc4912fb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QnJA​ze  (external link) IMG_2456 (external link) by Matt Olson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4909/31751082347_ec768d3a1c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QnJA​Ag  (external link) IMG_2453 (external link) by Matt Olson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4917/45777306985_6c1a13782f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2cKb​Evx  (external link) IMG_2469 (external link) by Matt Olson (external link), on Flickr

squashed
Goldmember
4,141 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 9 months ago by squashed.

Jan 10, 2019 13:39 |  #2202

First try at flying birds. What a difference trying to shoot these Red Tails with the R. This will require a ton of practice over the 1D MKIV... The shutter lag you see in the viewfinder is strange to say the least. I am using the 2X II converter with the 100-400.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2019 13:52 |  #2203

I have to say the mirrorless cameras are cleaner then my DSLR 1DX, but in the same sense I like to compare cameras in steps.

Remember when you got your first HD TV from SD to HD, now that was a FULL STEP. But when I look at the pictures from a mirrorless vs a DSLR it is only
a half step difference better but not a full step.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

bbqkid8
298 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited 9 months ago by bbqkid8.

Jan 10, 2019 14:06 |  #2204

MatthewK wrote in post #18788603 (external link)
Your photos are just fine, Brian. He was being factious :-)

Lol I know. I was just trying to be truthful.

squashed wrote in post #18788611 (external link)
So how was the focus on sports. Got any details for the nay sayers ? (Can't wait to give it a shot myself)

squashed wrote in post #18788611 (external link)

The AF is fine. I've been using the expand AF with the four points and it locks on quickly and stays locked. My tracking sensitivity is set to 1, and the other two are set at 0. I used these settings based on a forum post I read somewhere. It seems to be working. I'll probably be posting more very soon since I just finished shooting one game today and likely another two before the weekend is done.

I've been getting more and more used to the "stuttering" in the EVF when taking multiples shots in servo. When comparing to my shooting style when I had the 7d2, much less spray and pray but definitely more keepers. I'm actually quite enjoying using the R!

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

squashed
Goldmember
4,141 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 10, 2019 14:26 |  #2205

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18788819 (external link)
Lol I know. I was just trying to be truthful.

The AF is fine. I've been using the expand AF with the four points and it locks on quickly and stays locked. My tracking sensitivity is set to 1, and the other two are set at 0. I used these settings based on a forum post I read somewhere. It seems to be working. I'll probably be posting more very soon since I just finished shooting one game today and likely another two before the weekend is done.

I've been getting more and more used to the "stuttering" in the EVF when taking multiples shots in servo. When comparing to my shooting style when I had the 7d2, much less spray and pray but definitely more keepers. I'm actually quite enjoying using the R!

Excellent info ! I will give it try soon.

sponsored links

771,950 views & 12,943 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.