Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Jan 2019 (Thursday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash in daylight

happyduck
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 330 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 10, 2019 11:43 |  #1

Advice please, ive never used a flash but ive noticed most people taking photos with the flash in daylight, why is this please and if i give it a go is there any settings i need to know about, im looking at a used Canon Speedlite 550EX or Canon Speedlite 430EX MK II, id welcome advice thank you...happy

Canon 70D Canon 60D Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
"Rome wasn't built in a day. But I wasn't on that particular job."
Brian Clough.

My Flkr (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,733 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 10, 2019 11:53 |  #2

happyduck wrote in post #18788698 (external link)
Advice please, ive never used a flash but ive noticed most people taking photos with the flash in daylight, why is this please ?

The brighter it is, the more you need to use flash. . Why? . because the brighter the ambient light is, the greater the difference between the shadows and the highlights. . As photographers, we usually want to even out the scene we are photographing, so the way you can brighten up those hard dark shadows is to use a flash to illuminate the areas that are not getting sunlight on them.

The only times I've ever considered using a flash are when it is very bright and sunny out. . For me, there is no need to use flash when it is overcast, because the light is even enough as it is.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,096 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 12 days ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2019 11:58 |  #3

Think of any photo as consisting of two parts

1. the part of the scene that gets 'enough' light
  2. the part of the scene that needs more light

Most scenes consist of Type 1 only (think 'outside at average home'. Some scenes consist of Type 2 only (think 'indoors').

Some scenes consist partly of Type 1, along with partly Type 2 (think 'photographing outside my sunlit home, but including my wife in the garage')...your usual exposure would get the outside of the house just fine, but your wife would be consirably underexposed standing in a rather dark looking garage interior...and that is why you add flash use, to put light inside the garage.

Other scenes consist partly of Type 1, along with partly Type 2 (think 'my wife outside wearing a large brimmed hat that shades her face')...the part of her body in the sun would be exposed properly, but her face in the shade of the hat would be significantly darker...and that is why you add flash use, to put light into the shadow area of the hat.

The Canon dSLR in Av mode, with eTTL flash unit, is a very easy to use way of coping with the combination scenes consisting partly of Type 1 along with partly Type 2

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,899 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 10, 2019 12:15 |  #4

most of my shooting outdoors is of people. the lighting is either straight overhead or nearly 80o (near sunrise/sunset)...

this kind of lighting is horrible for shooting people in because its so harsh...

E-TTL is AMAZING. set your camera for a proper (or very close to proper) exposure. keep the shutter speed up with either manual or Tv mode. ive shot some stuff (before i knew) in Av and the camera selected a shutter speed that was too slow to avoid camera shake. i like 1/125 up to sync at 1/200...

with the flash on E-TTL, it will act as fill light and give you good exposure on faces that isnt so contrasty or when the subject is backlit by the sun. here are a couple of shots to maybe show you what effect it has...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

happyduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited 11 days ago by happyduck.

Jan 10, 2019 12:52 |  #5

Thanks a lot friends for your replys, i think ive got a basic idea now, ill get a flash tomorrow, which one would be better for me Canon Speedlite 550EX or Canon Speedlite 430EX MK II once again thank you...Happy

Canon 70D Canon 60D Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Brian Clough.

My Flkr (external link)

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Jan 10, 2019 13:52 as a reply to  @ happyduck's post |  #6

The 550EX would have more power, which is what you need for sunny exposures. The 550EX is equivalent (or nearly so) in power to the 600EX. The 550EX is a great flash!

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

happyduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 10, 2019 13:54 |  #7

Bearmann wrote in post #18788803 (external link)
The 550EX would have more power, which is what you need for sunny exposures. The 550EX is equivalent (or nearly so) in power to the 600EX. The 550EX is a great flash!

Thank you Barry ill go for that one then cheers...Happy

Brian Clough.

My Flkr (external link)

Lotto
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 10, 2019 14:33 |  #8

Keep in mind that the 550EX was discontinued in production 15-20 years ago. Plus if you ever venture into off camera flash, you have more options to control the 430 EX II as slave flash.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Jan 10, 2019 14:42 |  #9

Lotto wrote in post #18788839 (external link)
Keep in mind that the 550EX was discontinued in production 15-20 years ago. Plus if you ever venture into off camera flash, you have more options to control the 430 EX II as slave flash.

That's a good point about off camera flash. The 550EX is built very well, so I wouldn't worry about its age as long as it is working properly when you get it. The 550EX is very inexpensive from what I have seen. Either flash could be a good solution depending on price and intended use.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

Spencerphoto
291 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Jan 10, 2019 15:04 |  #10

Flash is very important to me when shooting motorcycle trials in (usually) strong sunlight. It comes in handy in two ways. Firstly, it enables me to retain subject detail and exposure in forests, where the bikes are constantly moving in and out of puddles of bright light Secondly, as has been mentioned, it is vital when shooting subjects that have bright backgrounds or strong light coming from behind the subject. Without flash, if I was to expose the subject properly, the bright background would be horribly over exposed. With flash to 'fill-in' the subject, I can basically use settings that expose the bright background correctly without the subject becoming a silhouette.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,059 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 10, 2019 18:40 |  #11

This is pretty much a masterclass on using flash outdoors. It's a bit heavy on using a meter as it's made by the company that makes meters, but it will show you how and why. https://youtu.be/Y01cw​u4RouI (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,232 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 10, 2019 19:38 |  #12

Here is an example where the sun was rising so the wheat field in front of my tripod was in shadow. I used a flash to light up the grain in the foreground.
I never venture outdoors without a flash and use it a LOT, though I need to make it a habit to use it more for often that little bit of light will add so much more to the image.

HOSTED PHOTO

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

sponsored links

421 views & 2 likes for this thread
Flash in daylight
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.