Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Jan 2019 (Thursday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox 360 battery is swelling

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket. (3 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2019 09:47 |  #1

terrible timing.

This battery has not held a good charge in the past. I have a location shoot tomorrow and was kinda putting it under a load to see if it would at least get me through the shoot. I think it will be fine from a providing power stand point but I'm of course worried it will blow up.

I will not need to push it nearly as hard as I just did, and clearly it is going to be replaced after tomorrow, but would you shoot with it at all?

Thinking that putting it in a metal pot or something would at least be a bit of security in a bad situation. Room I'm shooting in has concrete floors and nothing really flammable around. I've seen some youtubes where idiots pierce this type battery and while scary it isn't exactly an out of control explosion.

Chance it or not?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,055 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2019 10:19 |  #2

Well, it happens, and it is not merely batteries made and put into products 4 years ago...

"These batteries swell even when stored in climate controlled environment. I have had to replace 2 of the Neewer VB18 batteries because they have swelled up" (Jan 2017)

How old is yours?

In an article about what to do: https://www.tekrevue.c​om/swollen-battery/ (external link)

"Although we’ll be talking primarily about laptop computers in this article, swollen batteries can be found in many devices that use lithium batteries, such as mobile phones. There’s also no single cause for a swollen battery. Some are due to manufacturing defects, others are caused by the age of the battery, and still other cases can be caused by misuse, such as not properly exercising the battery over time, or by using the wrong power charger.

In general, a swollen battery occurs when the battery’s cells are overcharged, as lithium-ion batteries “react unfavorably to overcharging,” according to Don Sadoway, Professor of Materials Chemistry at MIT. As Professor Sadoway explained to Electronics Weekly:

There are strict limits on how much current can be put through a lithium-ion cell. During normal charging, you never see metallic lithium, which is inherently unstable. But during overcharging, the lithium builds up faster than it can dissipate. The result is that metallic lithium plates up on the anode. At the same time, the cathode becomes an oxidizing agent and loses stability.

This reaction produces heat, which warms the gasses inside the battery, causing them to expand. Without any avenue for ventilation, the battery’s casing expands with the gasses, distorting and warping its appearance into that familiar swollen look....

How to Deal With a Swollen Battery
If you suspect that your device has a swollen battery, the first step is to exercise caution. Puncturing a battery in any state is incredibly dangerous, but swollen batteries are especially vulnerable to compromise as their casing is already under stress from the built up gasses within. In short, handle any device with a suspected swollen battery with care.

Next, if your device has a user-removable battery, you can try to carefully remove it. Note that the battery’s swollen casing may make removal difficult. If you encounter any unusual resistance to removing the battery, stop and follow the advice below for those with devices containing non-user-removable batteries. If, however, you are able to successfully remove the swollen battery, place it in a safe, cool container so that it won’t be vulnerable to puncturing.

"Do not discard the battery in the trash or elsewhere. Doing so can severely injure the health of sanitation workers who may come into contact with the battery, as well as the environment. Instead, always dispose of batteries — swollen or not — at an authorized battery disposal facility. Many computer repair locations have the equipment and procedures to safely handle swollen batteries. ... electronics retailers, such as Best Buy, also offer recycling and disposal services. Just make sure that you inform the employees that you are recycling a swollen battery so that they can take the proper precautions (don’t just drop the swollen battery in a battery recycling kiosk).

"...Note, however, that until your swollen battery is replaced, you shouldn’t connect your device to power or use it. Swollen batteries can explode if not properly dealt with, so you don’t want to take any actions that may hasten the arrival of this unpleasant event.

"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 10, 2019 14:43 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #3

i know the answer is i shouldn't but would you guys? lol

after thinking it through I do have a long extension cord so I can run two lights from one battery.

wilt, the battery is in fact 4 years old, i marked the date i received them as 8-14. I got two of them at the same time one has been fine, the other has been fading for 3 years.

edit: i can't find the battery only on adorama and can only find the orange version on amazon, where oh where is a black battery only?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
42,055 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 10, 2019 14:45 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #4

ah, from the days of the crop of defective batteries

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 10, 2019 14:48 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #18788845 (external link)
ah, from the days of the crop of defective batteries

These two were actually replacements that were supposed to be fine. Ed shipped them to me no charge, all i had to do was ship him the old crappy ones.

Wilt
42,055 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2019 16:30 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18788847 (external link)
These two were actually replacements that were supposed to be fine. Ed shipped them to me no charge, all i had to do was ship him the old crappy ones.

So 4 years ago (2014) you were provided with two replacement batteries, of which one of them has now proven to be flawed (although never quite right)?! :-(

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jan 10, 2019 17:29 |  #7

Replacement battery here:

https://www.adorama.co​m/fpppbp960rb.html (external link)

There’s also a $109 version that offers more shots as well as USB out. The way you find these is by looking at the PB960 power pack, and then look at its accessories.

Current Portfolio (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 10, 2019 17:44 |  #8

I have alot of accessory cables for the PB960 that I will list for a very good price. I guess I am glad I got rid of my last 360. :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jan 10, 2019 19:36 |  #9

I had 6 and sold all but 2. I just used them yesterday for background lights in a beauty shoot that went 9 hours - at 1/16-1/32 power they didn’t lose a dot. Sure, I love my 200s, but the 360s are still pretty amazing.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18788968 (external link)
I have alot of accessory cables for the PB960 that I will list for a very good price. I guess I am glad I got rid of my last 360. :(

Current Portfolio (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 10, 2019 19:46 |  #10

I picked up the great deal for the 600 TTL, so I didn't need the 360 any longer, loved it while I had them though.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 11, 2019 07:03 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18788925 (external link)
So 4 years ago (2014) you were provided with two replacement batteries, of which one of them has now proven to be flawed (although never quite right)?! :-(

yes, unfortunately. The first defective batch it was obvious within a short time that they were fading. The replacement was fine for a year and then started going downhill. It's been pretty easy to keep it as a lower power unit while the others run at high power.

jlafferty wrote in post #18788960 (external link)

https://www.adorama.co​m/fpppbp960rb.html (external link)

There’s also a $109 version that offers more shots as well as USB out. The way you find these is by looking at the PB960 power pack, and then look at its accessories.

thanks. Adorama for some reason didn't serve me the battery only as an option, even when I searched PB 960 and sorted by price (low) it was not listed. They apparently don't have it keyworded right. They did however hit my inbox with a "ready to buy the Blast Power yet?" email that included it. Who knows.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18788968 (external link)

did we PM about that stuff at one point?

I think like most people I would like to move on from the 360, but they have served my needs well. I've even put off replacing this battery thinking I would be moving on.

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 11, 2019 13:20 |  #12

jlafferty wrote in post #18788960 (external link)

There’s also a $109 version that offers more shots as well as USB out..

I have"t openned mine up, but they are a physicaly larger battery, and I suspected Godox likely had them made with 18650 cells rather than the gel packs which have been the ones swelling up at times.

Having said that, the PB960 and VB18 batteries I have from the last few years have been fine. People still use the PB960 a lot to power speedlites etc as well.

The coming round head speedlite battery will be made from 18650 cells though, so its pretty clear they are the more trouble free option.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 11, 2019 20:33 |  #13

If I had a swelling battery, I would want to isolate it and dispose properly. If explosion is a risk (we all know it is, along with fire), why have it near me? Chemical burns are a nasty thing,, I like my eyesight. Find a safe method to power what you have.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 11, 2019 21:23 as a reply to  @ CanonCameraFan's post |  #14

Why would you have a PB960 near your face? It is often hanging on a light stand or on the floor below the strobe.

Wilt
42,055 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 11, 2019 21:26 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18789747 (external link)
Why would you have a PB960 near your face? It is often hanging on a light stand or on the floor below the strobe.

Well then, it could hurt the drunken gal who is pole dancing on the light stand, couldn't it?! Or the one passed out on the floor next to the strobe location.

:p

sponsored links

1,059 views & 7 likes for this thread
Godox 360 battery is swelling
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.