I spend most of the day re-configuring the shed and moving benches, building shelves and getting rid of rapidly accumulating scrap materials. Enough is enough.
I also solidified a big work bench and put it in the centre of the shed, comfortable work height, some space for projects and tooling and able to walk all around it, while still having access to the lathe and other parts of the shed. The beauty is, with a new flat surface on the top, (removable and replaceable), I can draw and measure stuff on it to get things flat, level, and correct. A nice touch was routing an extension cord over the rafters, to hang down directly over the work bench, so my power tools don't trail cords all over the workshop any more.
Finally, about 2 this afternoon, I got back to the Viper. I finished securing the internal workings of the top engine exhaust turbine and gave it a test spin.
After that, I started assembling one of the two side engine exhausts, but ran out of turkey feathers, so it was back to tracing templates. I'll take them to the bandsaw soon.
Finally, I started plotting the dimensions for the side engine rear turbines, ready to cut the spider vanes. Hopefully I can source another old aluminium sign to make the fans from, like the last one.
Had a big glue-up and got the rest of the main fuselage underside done, plus one full engine nacelle and part of the other. I've run out of glue for now, so next I'll be chiseling in the details into the cannons.
I've had a few wonderful days home alone to work on the Viper. It's strange, I haven't uttered a word. I could get used to this.
Anyways, I went out to my work and spent a night on the bandsaw to cut all the turkey feathers for the other two engines. Much quicker and neater than my jigsaw, plus the belt grinders there have an extraction fan right next to them, so I sanded and shaped them all too. I can do this at home, but with no extraction, the dust is pretty unbearable.
Back at home, I've had a mad glue-up for nearly 24 hours. I had to keep going back to Bunnings for more glue, having underestimated how much I needed to do to finalise all the foam. That's all done now, so I started sanding the whole ship and engines with the orbital sander. Not comfortable under the tarp in temperatures in the high thirties, but I really want to take advantage of the time I have.
My thanks to the tireless efforts of a Facebook friend named Mat and his friend Daniel. Mat has been looking out for a harness for the Viper pilot's seat. Arrived home today to find two harnesses waiting for me! Thanks gents!!
Weight reduction on 40x turkey feathers begins. That's 200 holes to drill.
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!
Latest registered member is fred406 9628 guests, 298 members online Simultaneous users record so far is 15144, that happened on Nov 22, 2018
Photography-on-the.net Digital Photography Forums is the website for photographers and all who love great photos, camera and post processing techniques, gear talk, discussion and sharing. Professionals, hobbyists, newbies and those who don't even own a camera -- all are welcome regardless of skill, favourite brand, gear, gender or age. Registering and usage is free.