Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Sep 2018 (Tuesday) 07:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Frustration with Adorama shipping UPS and USPS

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,727 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 08, 2019 09:46 |  #76

I really like Adorama and Adorama Pix. Almost all of my dealings with them have turned out really really well.

However, regarding the change of shipping address, if they refuse to offer something that B&H offers, that really concerns me. It seems that if B&H allows you to change the address to a UPS store, then Adorama better be willing to do it as well.

I am looking for retailers that offer me more than their competitors, not less.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 8 days ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Jan 08, 2019 12:39 |  #77

SYS wrote in post #18786713 (external link)
Given my past frustrating experiences with Adorama, specifically with its policy of not allowing the UPS to re-route the shipment to a local UPS store for safer pick up, I decided not to shop at Adorama except as a last resort.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18787141 (external link)
I really like Adorama and Adorama Pix. Almost all of my dealings with them have turned out really really well.

However, regarding the change of shipping address, if they refuse to offer something that B&H offers, that really concerns me. It seems that if B&H allows you to change the address to a UPS store, then Adorama better be willing to do it as well.

In view of the common porch delivery package theft, it would seem that retailers would like it if their customers could route their purchases to accommodate the greater package safety afforded by 'hold at (carrier)' instruction. When the buyer has a fulltime job that prevents them from being home to accept a delivery, the alterative of rerouting to the carrier pickup address seems to be the solution...
OTOH, I can also appreciate the retailers who protect the customers from fraudulent purchase via stolen credit cards, by not permitting shipment to any destination other than the credit card billing address!! Yet if the carrier simply required an ID as proof they they are the person whose name was associated with the purchase credit card, that would serve both the customer and the retailer's confidence of less fraud.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

HelenOster
That's me!
4,479 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2019 13:14 |  #78

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18787141 (external link)

We have no plans to allow customers to contact UPS directly to re-route packages, for security purposes.

If you need a reroute you can always contact us with your request - and we will review and process.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,479 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2019 13:15 |  #79

Wilt wrote in post #18787235 (external link)
In view of the common porch delivery package theft, it would seem that retailers would like it if their customers could route their purchases to accommodate the greater package safety afforded by 'hold at (carrier)' instruction. When the buyer has a fulltime job that prevents them from being home to accept a delivery, the alterative of rerouting to the carrier pickup address seems to be the solution...
OTOH, I can also appreciate the retailers who protect the customers from fraudulent purchase via stolen credit cards, by not permitting shipment to any destination other than the credit card billing address!! Yet if the carrier simply required an ID as proof they they are the person whose name was associated with the purchase credit card, that would serve both the customer and the retailer's confidence of less fraud.

See my response, above.

We have less confidence than you do that the clerk in the UPS office will check the ID of the person presenting it thoroughly enough to prevent theft.......

Helen@adorama.com

Wilt
41,091 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 days ago by Wilt.

Jan 10, 2019 14:48 |  #80

HelenOster wrote in post #18788767 (external link)
See my response, above.

We have less confidence than you do that the clerk in the UPS office will check the ID of the person presenting it thoroughly enough to prevent theft.......

I have less confidence than you that when a signature is requested by the shipper, that the UPS driver ever bothers to ring the bell to ask for a signature! It HAS happened to me, while I am home.
I suggested the 'show ID upon pickup' merely as wishful thinking of what could be.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,457 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 10, 2019 15:22 |  #81

Just a point of interest with respect to UPS, I believe only the shipper can change the ship to address. That service is called Delivery Intercept and to me it seems reasonable that only the shipper can make the change. It should also be noted that Delivery Intercept is not a free service provided by UPS. It is in fact $16.40 for a web request and $22.90 for a phone request; both of these fees also seem reasonable since a person or persons have to become involved looking for a very specific package.

I do not know about the policy of Adorama, but my company regularly ships materials to our field engineers and we ship to UPS Customer Care Centers, UPS Store locations, and UPS Access Point locations.

Like others, my experiences with Adorama has always been top notch, but I do believe before placing blame of a shortcoming on Adorama and its policies, one has to understand the available options and the ramifications of instituting them into policy.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,479 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2019 15:42 |  #82

Wilt wrote in post #18788846 (external link)
I have less confidence than you that when a signature is requested by the shipper, that the UPS driver ever bothers to ring the bell to ask for a signature! It HAS happened to me, while I am home.
I suggested the 'show ID upon pickup' merely as wishful thinking of what could be.

In the scenario you describe the shipper would be liable for replacement or refund.

If we allow customers to make changes to a shipping address and it turns out to be fraudulent, WE are liable.
If we have to keep picking up the tab for fraud, we will have to put up our prices - and everyone suffers.

All we ask is that if you want to change the address that you do it via us, so we can make sure we are satisfied it is genuine.

Helen@adorama.com

HelenOster
That's me!
4,479 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2019 15:42 |  #83

John from PA wrote in post #18788876 (external link)
Just a point of interest with respect to UPS, I believe only the shipper can change the ship to address. That service is called Delivery Intercept and to me it seems reasonable that only the shipper can make the change. It should also be noted that Delivery Intercept is not a free service provided by UPS. It is in fact $16.40 for a web request and $22.90 for a phone request; both of these fees also seem reasonable since a person or persons have to become involved looking for a very specific package.

I do not know about the policy of Adorama, but my company regularly ships materials to our field engineers and we ship to UPS Customer Care Centers, UPS Store locations, and UPS Access Point locations.

Like others, my experiences with Adorama has always been top notch, but I do believe before placing blame of a shortcoming on Adorama and its policies, one has to understand the available options and the ramifications of instituting them into policy.

THANK YOU!!! :love::love::love:

Helen@adorama.com

Wilt
41,091 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 days ago by Wilt.

Jan 10, 2019 16:27 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #84

Yes, I did point out the reason why the retailers don't like address different from the billing address of the credit card used in the transaction.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,727 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 10, 2019 16:48 |  #85

I can also appreciate the retailers who protect the customers from fraudulent purchase via stolen credit cards, by not permitting shipment to any destination other than the credit card billing address!!

Well that would suck for retailers to do that.

I'm someone who, at various times throughout the year, spends a lot of his time away from home, and needs items shipped to me at friends' places, hotels, etc. . Right now I'm in PA at my folks for a month or two. . In October and November I was in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado photographing wildlife. . In August & September I was in CA working on a wildfire. . Next month I hope to be in Florida photographing birds.

I need stuff shipped to me wherever I happen to be at any given time. . Could be anywhere in the country and I rarely know ahead of time where I'm going to end up.

Yet if the carrier simply required an ID as proof they they are the person whose name was associated with the purchase credit card, that would serve both the customer and the retailer's confidence of less fraud.

Wilt wrote in post #18788846 (external link)

That wouldn't work for everyone, either.

I have frequently had items shipped to the hotel I'm staying at. . The desk clerk receives it sometime during the day when I am away from the hotel in some wild area pursuing animals to photograph. . Hell if I'm going to give up one minute of photography to sit around a hotel waiting for a package to arrive so I can be the one to sign for it.

When I'm staying at a friend's place, whoever is at the house when the package arrives is the one who needs to sign. . The only time I stay at friend's places is when I visit them for extended photography trips in their area. . So during business hours (when packages are delivered) I am afield photographing wildlife. . Again, hell if I am going to miss any of that precious time to stay at my friend's place just to be able to sign for a package.

I expect the retailer and/or the shipper to take on the risk of a fraudulent delivery. . Giving me the convenience to be gone while my gear is delivered, and not to suffer loss if anything is stolen, is a part of the overall service they provide. . That's part of the overhead that is reflected in the price being marked up. . Indirectly, I'm paying for them to take that risk upon themselves ... so I expect them to do so.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
41,091 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 days ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2019 16:57 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #86

I understand your viewpoints, Tom. But put the shoe on the foot of the person who had his wallet picked so a credit card is missing (and not yet discovered for some time)...purchases being made against the card and shipped to where the thief can get his new camera equipment shipped to a convenient place near him, which he can then fence for cash.

I was merely presenting the various points of view that really need to be considered before anyone throws any stones. Not taking any sides as my own.

I once had a job assignment in which I travelled extensively internationally, an unmarried person with lots of absences of 3-5 weeks without returning home, so I fully understand the plight of buying goods under such circumstances.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,044 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 10, 2019 17:24 |  #87

I am so glad I live in the area I do... I have no such worries. :eek:

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Gallery: 934 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 11, 2019 17:08 |  #88

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18788935 (external link)
Well that would suck for retailers to do that.

I'm someone who, at various times throughout the year, spends a lot of his time away from home, and needs items shipped to me at friends' places, hotels, etc. . Right now I'm in PA at my folks for a month or two. . In October and November I was in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado photographing wildlife. . In August & September I was in CA working on a wildfire. . Next month I hope to be in Florida photographing birds.

I need stuff shipped to me wherever I happen to be at any given time. . Could be anywhere in the country and I rarely know ahead of time where I'm going to end up.

That wouldn't work for everyone, either.

I have frequently had items shipped to the hotel I'm staying at. . The desk clerk receives it sometime during the day when I am away from the hotel in some wild area pursuing animals to photograph. . Hell if I'm going to give up one minute of photography to sit around a hotel waiting for a package to arrive so I can be the one to sign for it.

When I'm staying at a friend's place, whoever is at the house when the package arrives is the one who needs to sign. . The only time I stay at friend's places is when I visit them for extended photography trips in their area. . So during business hours (when packages are delivered) I am afield photographing wildlife. . Again, hell if I am going to miss any of that precious time to stay at my friend's place just to be able to sign for a package.

I expect the retailer and/or the shipper to take on the risk of a fraudulent delivery. . Giving me the convenience to be gone while my gear is delivered, and not to suffer loss if anything is stolen, is a part of the overall service they provide. . That's part of the overhead that is reflected in the price being marked up. . Indirectly, I'm paying for them to take that risk upon themselves ... so I expect them to do so.

Would this not work for you? It isn't a "default" service, but rather something someone needs to sign up to do. I've not seen it mentioned in your replies.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

NDAPhoto
228 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited 4 days ago by NDAPhoto.

Jan 12, 2019 12:19 |  #89

SYS wrote in post #18786713 (external link)
I came home to open the box. The Xplor 600 is quite heavy and it's an electronic item. There was not a single layer of foam or bubble to protect the delicate box inside. If someone decided to handle it roughly during the shipping process, that could have easily damaged the unit. With this frustration vented, now I'm going to thoroughly test the flash to see nothing's broken for the next hour. Unless Adorama pays me to shop at its store, this is it for me.

The Xplor 600 strobe comes in its own foam padded carrying case, inside a cardboard box. When shipped, the whole thing is put in another shipping box. It’s going to see a lot worse under normal conditions every time you load and unload it during transport to different locations.

As for the rerouting issue, it is frustrating but a result of your inability to receive shipments, no? You are assuming it is safer rerouting to your UPS Store, but not from Adorama’s perspective if the wrong person picks it up.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,082 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited 4 days ago by SYS. (2 edits in all)

Jan 12, 2019 12:55 |  #90

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18790126 (external link)
As for the rerouting issue, it is frustrating but a result of your inability to receive shipments, no? You are assuming it is safer rerouting to your UPS Store, but not from Adorama’s perspective if the wrong person picks it up.

The rerouting issue with Adorama has been frustrating, yes, but like I stated earlier, I've found a way around that issue by simply providing a local UPS Store address as the shipment destination upon ordering. Even when I did that, however, the staff at Adorama has managed to make the simple ordering process a very frustrating experience, which I've detailed in my earlier post. In fact, my order was shipped in two separate packages with different arrival days. The first one came in without my name on the package, just the UPS Store address. Fortunately, there was my phone number that the staff at the UPS Store found. Assuming that the second package would arrive without my name on the package, as well, I had to call the UPS Store in advance to alert them of this. Sure enough, the second package also arrived without my name on the package. All unnecessary hassle. Yes, a mistake, and all human beings make mistakes. A simple apology, however, would have been a nice gesture. No such a thing. It's Adorama's choice to have whatever the policy, I totally respect that. I, as a customer, also have the choice to shop at whoever the merchants that work the best for my needs. Adorama isn't it, anymore.

The UPS Store, by the way, always checks your photo ID before handing out the package. Did this many many times and never an issue. On the other hand, porch thefts have increased like crazy around my neighborhood. I'd imagine that porch theft is and should be of greater concern to online merchants than potential and rare case of UPS shipments being fraudulently being re-routed. In fact, I don't know of a single person who was a victim of a UPS shipment being re-routed fraudulently whereas I do know of my neighbors's who have been victims of porch thefts.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

3,665 views & 89 likes for this thread
Frustration with Adorama shipping UPS and USPS
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.