Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 17, 2019 06:58 |  #2341

randy98mtu wrote in post #18793296 (external link)
You are absolutely right, Wilson. If you want small and compact as your key factors, full frame is it the place to look.

I think you meant "not," right?

sponsored links
Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,372 posts
Gallery: 347 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 17, 2019 08:11 |  #2342

Ya cannot change the laws of phsysics, unless you are German  :p
Leica F0.95 and Canon f/1.2
But you need a big optic for 135mm

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 17, 2019 08:14 |  #2343

It's funny to me how so many people make mirorless about small and compact. To me, it's ALL about real-time feedback. 100%. To be able to look through that viewfinder and know EXACTLY what the outcome is going to be in real-time is the real value to me. I'm especially surprised how often others overlook what I think is singularly the most important aspect of removable lens mirrorless cameras.

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 17, 2019 08:15 |  #2344

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18793323 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Two Hot Shoes in
./showthread.php?p=187​93323&i=i14381785
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

You can have it:
1. Cheap
2. Right
3. Right now

Pick any two. You can't have all three. ;)

crofter
334 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 17, 2019 09:15 |  #2345

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18793327 (external link)
It's funny to me how so many people make mirorless about small and compact. To me, it's ALL about real-time feedback. 100%. To be able to look through that viewfinder and know EXACTLY what the outcome is going to be in real-time is the real value to me. I'm especially surprised how often others overlook what I think is singularly the most important aspect of removable lens mirrorless cameras.

Likewise,I have the M50 and it's a great little camera but I'd like it to be a smidge bigger,looking forward to seeing the next R offering if it's a bit cheaper than the current one.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 17, 2019 09:29 |  #2346

crofter wrote in post #18793353 (external link)
Likewise,I have the M50 and it's a great little camera but I'd like it to be a smidge bigger,looking forward to seeing the next R offering if it's a bit cheaper than the current one.

I bought the EOS R at retail simply because I had been on the fence with Sony for a while knowing full well "my" Canon was coming. The R really should have been 1999 or 1899 even US, and I think it will be in a year or so. I just wasn't willing to wait any longer. The R is a great camera, but one thing I will say is that I doubt I would want one a "step below." Don't get me wrong. The R is completely full featured enough for me, and has things I will probably never use, but other than the control slider (Can't wait to see how they address this in the upcoming FW.), I simply can't imagine anything they could take away from it to knock off a couple of hundred bucks and me still be happy.

If you want an R, and especially if you're not waiting for the supposed next step up for a very good reason, I'd buy the R now. The wait and see game is a game you can play forever.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 17, 2019 09:33 |  #2347

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18793327 (external link)

Real-time is not given by mirror-less. Mirror-less *must* have some lag, because you have to read a pixel before you read it and move it to the EVF. An OVF is real-time, because it takes the same amount of time for light to get to your retina through the OVF and ground glass, as if you had viewed the scene directly.

What you might mean, I think, is WYSIWYG default conversion characteristics (such as tone curve and WB), already in the EVF, as if you were viewing a video a fraction of a second after it was taken..

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,472 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 17, 2019 09:55 |  #2348

John Sheehy wrote in post #18793368 (external link)
Real-time is not given by mirror-less. Mirror-less *must* have some lag, because you have to read a pixel before you read it and move it to the EVF. An OVF is real-time, because it takes the same amount of time for light to get to your retina through the OVF and ground glass, as if you had viewed the scene directly.

What you might mean, I think, is WYSIWYG default conversion characteristics (such as tone curve and WB), already in the EVF, as if you were viewing a video a fraction of a second after it was taken..

OMG. :eek::rolleyes:

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,372 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 10 months ago by Two Hot Shoes. (2 edits in all)

Jan 17, 2019 11:06 |  #2349

Having used mirrorless for a few years now, I'll call you out on this one, in the real world. It's as in time as it gets but perhaps you reaction time is superhuman John.

Speaking of science stuff, it takes the average human ~50ms to 'see' an object but about 150ms to comprehend (for a normal everyday person). So you'r at least 50ms behind what has happened already yet somehow we manage to be amazing at catching balls and other fast paced stuff like motor racing. That is because we anticipate any moment as it is about to happen. I think somehow the tiny amount of time a camera takes to read to a display is probably close enough, especially in todays 'lag free' cameras like the X-T3. In the real world anyway.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,094 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 17, 2019 11:26 |  #2350

I've not picked up an EOS R yet, or the latest SONY, but I have a Fuji that everyone on this and other forums told me, insisted, I would not see lag, that I would love the EVF.

Well I love the Fuji, but I don't love the EVF, and lag is very real for an action shooter. In Botswana the two Fuji kits that came along for the ride, mine and our guides, both were relegated to snapshots around the campfire after a few days trial in the field.

Like I said, perhaps they have/will some day NOT be a handicap, but people said this for years before it was true, so many of us hvae to take it with a grain of salt.
(A similar thing went on with LCD monitors. Long after CRTs were unavailable, LCD's still had not caught up to the best AG CRT. Of course now LCD has surpassed, but there was a good 5 years where the best color editing monitor was an old discontinued Sony CRT)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 17, 2019 11:33 |  #2351

You say potato. I say potato. Wait. That's the same thing.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 17, 2019 12:39 |  #2352

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18793409 (external link)
You say potato. I say potato. Wait. That's the same thing.

You said potato, twice. I am only saying it here once, to mention your mention.

What you said is not a good choice of words; EVFs are not "real-time". They're very good proxies for tonal levels in default conversions.

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 17, 2019 12:47 |  #2353

John Sheehy wrote in post #18793432 (external link)
You said potato, twice. I am only saying it here once, to mention your mention.

What you said is not a good choice of words; EVFs are not "real-time". They're very good proxies for tonal levels in default conversions.

Well, I call BS and semantics. You can call it what you please as that's up to you. Everybody here except you know what I meant. You can argue just to argue but that doesn't make you right.

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 17, 2019 14:13 |  #2354

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18793323 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Two Hot Shoes in
./showthread.php?p=187​93323&i=i14381785
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I didn't know that Leica lens had an AF motor?

Chris Giles Photography

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,372 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 10 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Jan 17, 2019 15:03 as a reply to  @ Gel's post |  #2355

The point is it's not necessarily the optics needing large lenses as others were suggesting. But not always sometimes lenses are made with large bits of glass to over throw the sensor size so the best part of the optic is used onto the sensor...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Pointless really

sponsored links

929,986 views & 15,294 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.