Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

tim1970
682 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 19, 2019 17:38 |  #2431

Excellent Review.

For most of your sample photos, were you using any flash or strobes, or were they all ambient light only?

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,705 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 19, 2019 19:40 |  #2432

Anyone using an app for focus stacking on the R? I'm reading up on focus stacking and looking at Helicon. Their forum says the remote app doesn't work on the EOS R and there is no indication it will. So I'm wondering if other apps can calculate and control the camera to achieve the needed images. I know I can do it manually for the landscapes I shoot but wouldn't mind the option for closeup stuff in the future.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

squashed
Goldmember
4,177 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 10 months ago by squashed.

Jan 19, 2019 23:27 |  #2433

1/30th, handheld? I had no idea I could do that !! lol

EXIF even says 1/25th... lol

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,174 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited 10 months ago by aladyforty. (2 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2019 00:41 |  #2434

Coderunner wrote in post #18793870 (external link)
Temperature was 12F. Camera worked fine but photographer's fingers didn't last 5 minutes:oops:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Coderunner in
./showthread.php?p=187​93870&i=i81595398
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Coderunner in
./showthread.php?p=187​93870&i=i138560363

lovely shots, looks like heaven, as Im sitting inside due to a heat wave here in Australia, sitting at around 35C but been up to 41C not too far from here

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,174 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 20, 2019 00:55 |  #2435

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18794259 (external link)
Are the naysayers and people that do not own, nor ever intend to purchase a particular camera, so prevalent in other threads dedicated to a particular model's owners? Threads that concern them none whatsoever?

What part of this thread title is so unclear to you?

Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

I'm all for people asking questions of owners before they buy. I was one of those once in this thread also, but these posts go far beyond that. These are people complaining just for complaining's sake when they have no intention whatsoever to ever own this camera.

Go start your own thread and you can freely discuss why you hate what you've never owned and your YouTube video experiences there.

This has happened to other cameras in the past, 7DII copped a lot of flack and I also saw on other sites where people who once owned it and claimed it was great then sold it and bagged it out after moving to full frame without considering that the jump to full frame will most often improve colours and noise regardless of brand. As for the EOSR camera, I dont own it yet and as I stated way back somewhere in this thread I dont think for MY kind of shooting it can replace my 7DII but it may one day replace my 5DIII so I enjoy seeing what you guys are producing with it and so far looks very nice. I dont see a point in bagging any camera, if a camera does not suit you, just move on. Canon cameras are always getting bagged anyway, it seems to be a hobby for tech heads and fanboys of other brands. I hope as a so far Non owner anything I have written has not annoyed too many on here :-)

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
28,256 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 20, 2019 01:36 |  #2436

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18793403 (external link)
I've not picked up an EOS R yet, or the latest SONY, but I have a Fuji that everyone on this and other forums told me, insisted, I would not see lag, that I would love the EVF.

Well I love the Fuji, but I don't love the EVF, and lag is very real for an action shooter. In Botswana the two Fuji kits that came along for the ride, mine and our guides, both were relegated to snapshots around the campfire after a few days trial in the field.

Like I said, perhaps they have/will some day NOT be a handicap, but people said this for years before it was true, so many of us hvae to take it with a grain of salt.
(A similar thing went on with LCD monitors. Long after CRTs were unavailable, LCD's still had not caught up to the best AG CRT. Of course now LCD has surpassed, but there was a good 5 years where the best color editing monitor was an old discontinued Sony CRT)

I tried to get to handle one yesterday mainly for this reason (plus the ergonomics) but the nearest shop did not have one (price point too high).

So it would have to be a special trip.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

avondale87
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 20, 2019 01:42 |  #2437

squashed wrote in post #18794986 (external link)
1/30th, handheld? I had no idea I could do that !! lol

EXIF even says 1/25th... lol

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by squashed in
./showthread.php?p=187​94986&i=i78563443

Love that.
The colours and the blend from foreground to sky is really nice.
Very nice indeed.

Richard

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,770 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 20, 2019 01:44 as a reply to  @ aladyforty's post |  #2438

My biggest complaint in the damn battery grip price.. when is it going down?

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,022 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 10 months ago by Choderboy.

Jan 20, 2019 02:38 |  #2439

Simply not true. (You have quoted the thread title accurately.)

However:

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18783565

Closing this thread now, as with it in many peoples hands and the user thread so popular this one is no longer needed. For posts about EOS - R = https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1501070&pa​ge=1For posting Rumors and predictions or other things down the road, please post in the dedicated forums;https://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.ph​p#News

For posts about EOS - R Note that it's not For post about EOS-R (Positive Only)

Dave
Image editing OK

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 02:54 |  #2440

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18795051 (external link)
I tried to get to handle one yesterday mainly for this reason (plus the ergonomics) but the nearest shop did not have one (price point too high).

So it would have to be a special trip.

Lester if it helps LCE in Winchester weren't very useful, at all in fact, but the Southampton Civic Centre branch couldn't be more useful, a fuller price point, but they are doing a £200 additional trade in, encouraged me to bring my own card, shoot outside, bring lenses to use the adaptor etc. Luckily I'm coming into a financial position where I can pay full price to support shops like this.........

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 03:07 |  #2441

Wait, it can do this????

"Shooting in Black and White but still having colour raws"

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2019 04:36 |  #2442

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18795088 (external link)
Wait, it can do this????

What would be amazing is shooting in B&W JPEG/Review images, and actually have a full-res monochrome RAW. The only way to have a monochrome RAW from a CFA sensor (without pixel shift) is to downsample or filter the color RAW to lose its separation of color responses, something that can be done in software, anyway, with no need to do so inside the camera.

Lester ­ Wareham
28,256 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 20, 2019 06:10 |  #2443

Thanks for taking the time to write the review.
I don't shoot anything like your subject matter but I still found your review very informative.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 20, 2019 06:36 |  #2444

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18795088 (external link)
Wait, it can do this????

Yup!

Chris Giles Photography

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2019 06:42 |  #2445

Gel wrote in post #18795147 (external link)
Yup!

I see now; I thought someone was being sarcastic about the alleged novelty of B&W JPEGs, and forgot that the EVF is also now B&W.

I have generally shot B&W in LiveView on DSLRs at wider angles that allow easy LiveView use, and B&W LCDs are not new or novel. there.

The B&W EVF is something relatively new in Canon FF land, even if old news on smaller sensor mirrorless formats and LCDs.

sponsored links

932,355 views & 15,322 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.