Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,945 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 20, 2019 08:05 |  #2446

Nice review. Thanks for this

I am on the fence and to be honest your review has put me off the fence

I have been playing with the ESOr's at best buy and camera stores. Came close so many times.

I too have photographed over 575 weddings in the last 14 yrs. So, What is continuing to keep me from pulling the trigger is what you have mentioned !!

1- I dont like how this camera moves focal points around. I thought it was me. Glad to hear others feel the same way. It needs a dam joy stick. I feel like I would be looking at the back of the dam camera, trying to find the focal points, instead of watching whats in front of me and being on auto pilot.

2- I cant get past the camera not having dual cards.In the last 14 yrs I have lost 2 cards to corruption issues for weddings. Both times I was on 1D bodies and the back up cards had the files. I know this has to be weighing heavy on your mind. For weddings, I just cant go there because its happened to me twice. What are you going to do If you loose a card ? I just cant imagine

Things that make me want to pull the trigger and buy

1- I think its a perfect studio camera and we own a studio. Im ready to pull the trigger several times
2- that 50R....OMG...what a lens
3- The adapter- you have confirmed what many have said
4- AV use---DAM YOU- I am an AV shooter and I shoot exactly as you do. The images look great. Im betting these are close to straight off captures.....This makes me want to go out tomorrow and pick one up.......but back to no dual cards and weddings......what a bonehead move on Canons part. They probably would have sold millions by now if it had dual cards

ALL this said....Hind sight being better than foresight.....would you have waited for a dual card body and a joy stick if you knew it was coming on next release ?......I might be willing to live w/o a joystick but I cant get past dual cards. What are you going to do if you loose a card?

As a 1Dx2 and 5D4 shooter I have everything i need..best cameras I have ever used...But dam...that 50R and that new 24-105R...those optics

still stuck in Washington:-(

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
RodS57
915 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 20, 2019 08:17 |  #2447

aladyforty wrote in post #18795011 (external link)
lovely shots, looks like heaven, as Im sitting inside due to a heat wave here in Australia, sitting at around 35C but been up to 41C not too far from here

Too, too hot for me. No heat wave here: -41 C this morning (-49 with wind chill). Much the same as yesterday.
Needless to say I wasn't out taking pictures. :-)

Right now it doesn't look good for that eclipse tonight.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Lester ­ Wareham
28,256 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 20, 2019 08:39 |  #2448

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18795088 (external link)
Wait, it can do this????

"Shooting in Black and White but still having colour raws"

My memory is for Canon cameras the B&W mode only impacts JPEG, the RAWs always maintain full sensor info.

I can see the advantage of viewing in B&W only for composition.
How many B&W film users remember the square deep purple monochrome preview filters (I think sold by Ilford) used to aid monochrome preview.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Lester ­ Wareham
28,256 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 20, 2019 08:40 |  #2449

John Sheehy wrote in post #18795106 (external link)
What would be amazing is shooting in B&W JPEG/Review images, and actually have a full-res monochrome RAW. The only way to have a monochrome RAW from a CFA sensor (without pixel shift) is to downsample or filter the color RAW to lose its separation of color responses, something that can be done in software, anyway, with no need to do so inside the camera.

Personally I always prefer to do B&W conversion using the photoshop channel mixer, more control; but see my previous post on B&W preview.

Gear List

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 20, 2019 08:41 |  #2450

John Sheehy wrote in post #18795154 (external link)
I see now; I thought someone was being sarcastic about the alleged novelty of B&W JPEGs, and forgot that the EVF is also now B&W.

I have generally shot B&W in LiveView on DSLRs at wider angles that allow easy LiveView use, and B&W LCDs are not new or novel. there.

The B&W EVF is something relatively new in Canon FF land, even if old news on smaller sensor mirrorless formats and LCDs.

The only issue I have with this is that I would like to still write colour jpegs and just have the EVF in B+W - Hard to cull 4000 images in photomechanic when they're all in B+W!

Chris Giles Photography

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 20, 2019 08:45 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #2451

I feel similar to you for sure.

Even if it wasn't for pro use it's certainly a fun camera to buy if you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket. If I go out now shooting landscapes or with the dog I take this every time becausse of the additional functions it has.

I mean the aspect ratios and black and white shooting for one VS the stitched pano stuff. It really lets me create.

Chris Giles Photography

Lester ­ Wareham
28,256 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 20, 2019 08:51 |  #2452

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18794259 (external link)
Are the naysayers and people that do not own, nor ever intend to purchase a particular camera, so prevalent in other threads dedicated to a particular model's owners? Threads that concern them none whatsoever?

What part of this thread title is so unclear to you?

Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

I'm all for people asking questions of owners before they buy. I was one of those once in this thread also, but these posts go far beyond that. These are people complaining just for complaining's sake when they have no intention whatsoever to ever own this camera.

Go start your own thread and you can freely discuss why you hate what you've never owned and your YouTube video experiences there.

I think we should be carful to draw a distinction between balanced discussion which might observe negative issues and trolls.

A discussion that only permitted to mention the positive is essentially meaningless. People don't need to own an item to spot negative and positive aspects, although with less authority.

The troll generally wants to spread discord and derail discussion, and are best fought by being ignored, or reported.

But just because someone voices a negative, it does not make them a troll.

Gear List

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2019 08:56 |  #2453

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18795193 (external link)
Personally I always prefer to do B&W conversion using the photoshop channel mixer, more control; but see my previous post on B&W preview.

Whatever you see in the EVF in B&W mode, though, is something that you are guaranteed to have available as an option in post-processing. Can you set the camera to cycle through color filter emulations with one of the programmable controls? That would be nice. Imagine the picture style being set in the metadata, too, because of the position of a control. You would have your full post-processing choices, but start out with a default that is close to the filtration that you liked through the EVF.

Lester ­ Wareham
28,256 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 20, 2019 09:04 |  #2454

John Sheehy wrote in post #18795205 (external link)
Whatever you see in the EVF in B&W mode, though, is something that you are guaranteed to have available as an option in post-processing. Can you set the camera to cycle through color filter emulations with one of the programmable controls? That would be nice. Imagine the picture style being set in the metadata, too, because of the position of a control. You would have your full post-processing choices, but start out with a default that is close to the filtration that you liked through the EVF.

For sure, specially if you use DPP I am fairly sure it will show the picture style set as a default, I try to minimise fiddling with settings in the field; but then the moment in the field is the hardest to replace for me, a few seconds extra on the edit cycle is of no importance (to me), other mileage of course varies.

TBH I never use the in-camera picture styles or colour temperature, I always shoot raw only and do it in post. Even a "custom colour temperature" setting I will do by taking a reference image of a colour reference or rely on a neutral subject tone in the image.

But yes I can see the B&W preview being useful. I guess you could do this on a DLSR by chimping; but in viewfinder during composition, much more powerful.

Gear List

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by WilsonFlyer.

Jan 20, 2019 09:24 |  #2455

It's funny to me, as a totally amateur photographer, to hear people complain about the joystick. I have bitched (to myself because nobody else cares) about the joystick on my MkII (when I had it) and my MkIII since I got them. Coming from the Txi and xxD lineups, I absolutely hated the joystick. Still do. For that reason alone, I shot 95% of what I shot based on some sort of centerpoint focal point. I could never move it on my AE-1 so it wasn't that much of a stretch to get used to it.

I wouldn't give you $0.50US for every joystick in the world, and I am SO happy to have a touch-relative touchscreen to move my focus point. It has changed my photography life. I know I'm in a minority. A very SMALL minority, but color me ecstatic. Finally something I can actually use that makes sense and doesn't slow me down.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,139 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2019 09:36 |  #2456

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18795213 (external link)
It's funny to me, as a totally amateur photographer, to hear people complain about the joystick. I have bitched (to myself because nobody else cares) about the joystick on my MkII (when I had it) and my MkIII since I got them. Coming from the Txi and xxD lineups, I absolutely hated the joystick. Still do. For that reason alone, I shot 95% of what I shot based on some sort of centerpoint focal point. I could never move it on my AE-1 so it wasn't that much of a stretch to get used to it.

I wouldn't give you $0.50US for every joystick in the world, and I am SO happy to have a touch-relative touchscreen to move my focus point. It has changed my photography life. I know I'm in a minority. A very SMALL minority, but color me ecstatic. Finally something I can actually use that makes sense and doesn't slow me down.

you can speak for yourself, joystick is better than touchpad IMO, that would be the alternative method for picking AF points. Joystick was fantastic on the 5Diii, maybe you never learned how to use it effectively?

I'm certain that most want a joystick on this camera. Maybe in the future, as AF systems get better, there may be lesser need for them.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

mhickman
290 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 20, 2019 09:39 |  #2457

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18795213 (external link)
...I am SO happy to have a touch-relative touchscreen to move my focus point...

I'm with you. Coming from the 6D, I had the D pad for 11 focus points. Now to move around with thousands with a feeling similar to using my cell phone, I'm quite ok with that.

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by Gel. (2 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2019 09:44 as a reply to  @ mhickman's post |  #2458

I'm quite surprised how many prefer the touchscreen AF over having a joystick. But that could be in part down to who shoots what.

Anything fast paced and spontaneous I'd prefer a joystick for sure. In nearly all cases I wake up the camera and start moving a joystick as soon as I go to lift it for a shot. I can't do that with a touch screen.

Chris Giles Photography

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 20, 2019 09:47 |  #2459

Charlie wrote in post #18795218 (external link)
you can speak for yourself, joystick is better than touchpad IMO, that would be the alternative method for picking AF points. Joystick was fantastic on the 5Diii, maybe you never learned how to use it effectively?

I'm certain that most want a joystick on this camera. Maybe in the future, as AF systems get better, there may be lesser need for them.

Maybe you haven't bothered to learn to use the touchpad focus effectively.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,705 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by C Scott IV. (2 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2019 10:26 |  #2460

I used the joystick on the 7D and liked it. One of the hardest parts of deciding whether to upgrade to 7D II or 80D was the joystick conundrum. Did not miss it after the first day or two.

Using the touch screen is great for what I do. It did change how I shoot hand held in portrait so my nose doesn't touch it. I used to shoot grip down, now I have to shoot grip up. The downside is it makes me take up more space and more imposing. And now my hat gets in the way.

The only way I would want a joystick for AF on the R is if you could control the rate of movement. If it moved at one focus point at a time it could take forever to get across the frame.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

sponsored links

932,815 views & 15,323 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.