Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 10 months ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2019 10:42 |  #2461

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18795225 (external link)
Maybe you haven't bothered to learn to use the touchpad focus effectively.

I agree there 100%... I was reluctant to move from a Button like feel of the joy stick and went straight to the Dpad and that ring adapter convinced me it was a good idea. I have now moved to EVF and on screen for ISO and AF point movement. ISO is so slick using the function button right beside your main wheel and back to shooting very fast. It's all right there on your EVF you never have to look away from your subject. I think the R is about change... Some are very reluctant to change. Others embrace a chance to learn and have fun while doing so. I for one I'm glad its not a Sony look-a-like... I've used then and was more a tune to the EOS R.. In my opinion it works beautifully in its own right.

I have not found any problems with the Sandisk extreme Pro SDXC I or II cards I don't think while shooting I've hit the buffer while shooting for real. And I'm not shy with the shutter button. And if you think hitting Pine Marten running through the snow is a walk in the park... !! think again.

The two card thing is going to haunt those who care forever, Don't know what they did before the dual slots. Personally in the last 4 years I've had my 7DII set to only fill one then move to the other. Never has it written to both at the same time.. There's 5 4T drives plugged into my mac that say cards are quite stable if you take care and don't pull them without ejecting them properly... even by accident.

This camera gets easier and faster the longer you use it. Stay in yesterday.... move on to tomorrow... It's up to all of us to decide.

I've not had a over exposed Image out in the snow using this EOS R........ figure that... Its always exactly what I was intending.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Thought I would add a shot of the EVF showing ISO and how clearly one can see what it is you wish to change.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Lester ­ Wareham
28,258 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 20, 2019 10:47 |  #2462

On the Joystick issue:

Yes this is a major worry for me, certainly a hassle on the 6D despite the limited number of FPs compared to the joystick of the 20D/7D/7DII, but not the biggest issue on the 6D MMI for me (no access to FEC when keeping the viewfinder to the eye for example). But I accept it for what it is, for my main use case for the 6D these are not major issues.

The touchscreen I cannot comment on, as not having had a chance to play with the EOS R yet. Chris Giles review is a good pointer to the strengths and weaknesses of this method of controlling the FPs.

Correctly implemented it could be better than the joystick; have Canon refined the functionality sufficiently in this respect?... I suspect this would take quite a bit of trying-out to be sure on.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 20, 2019 10:54 |  #2463

Pondrader wrote in post #18795249 (external link)
The two card thing is going to haunt those who care forever, Don't know what they did before the dual slots. Personally in the last 4 years I've had my 7DII set to only fill one then move to the other. Never has it written to both at the same time.. There's 5 4T drives plugged into my mac that say cards are quite stable if you take care and don't pull them without ejecting them properly... even by accident.

This camera gets easier and faster the longer you use it. Stay in yesterday.... move on to tomorrow... It's up to all of us to decide.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​95249&i=i89124349
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

It really boils down to what you shoot and if the camera will work for those needs. Weddings are an area that I cant take the chance on. That said, I think for studio use its a great choice.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by WilsonFlyer.

Jan 20, 2019 11:10 |  #2464

umphotography wrote in post #18795257 (external link)
It really boils down to what you shoot and if the camera will work for those needs. Weddings are an area that I cant take the chance on. That said, I think for studio use its a great choice.

It the interest of fairness, you choose not to. You certainly could, and while I applaud your intentions and all who have adapted this stance, I think much of it stems from so many proclaiming it as gospel. There are so many things that can go wrong at one-time events, not the greatest of which is a card failing. I certainly buy into eliminating what you can, and I get that, but a lot of these same people dump their cards onto single drive laptops for post with no backup whatsoever. You can say they don't, but we both know it's true.

I posted this earlier in the thread and I won't elaborate here except to say this. I've been in the computer industry professionally for almost 40 years, and I Can't count the number of HD failures I've ever seen. I can count the number of QUALITY SD card failures I have had on no hands, and between my quads and multis and 10's of cameras over the years, that's not insignificant. Notice I didn't say due to user error. I said HW failures.

I don't blame you guys for being cautious, but some of this just goes way overboard. Buy good equipment and use it properly and it will rarely fail you, if ever. If two card slots helps you guys sleep better at night, I hope your offsite disaster recovery backup strategy is equally as robust.

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 447 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 20, 2019 11:56 |  #2465

Gel wrote in post #18795222 (external link)
I'm quite surprised how many prefer the touchscreen AF that the joystick. But that could be in part down to whoo shoots what.

Anything fast paced and spontaneous I'd prefer a joystick for sure. In nearly all cases I wake up the camera and start moving a joystick as soon as I go to lift it for a shot. I can't do that with a touch screen.

As I raise the camera I’ll touch the screen for the focus area I am expecting to want or the “trash” button which I have set to center AF then fine tune if necessary.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,140 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2019 11:56 |  #2466

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18795225 (external link)
Maybe you haven't bothered to learn to use the touchpad focus effectively.

nope, I'm a rear lcd shooter myself, dont even care for the EVF, I dont even need touchpad focus either, at the same time, I'm not convinced that most people should shoot the way I do.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by WilsonFlyer. (5 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2019 12:12 |  #2467

And as for you "two slot guys," did all of you guys just not shoot weddings until every camera you could buy had two slots, or did you not get into the business of shooting weddings until the hardware caught up in your eyes? Who in the world would dare even shoot weddings before you guys came along??!?!?!

Everything improves over time. Card SLOTS. Firmware. The cards themselves. Everything. Personally, I think two card slots these days is totally superfluous. How 'bout that?

Let's talk about that. Seriously.

It's like arguing about the crop in 4k. Makes great YT banter, but in the real world, it hasn't bothered me one bit, and it was probably the PRIMARY reason I held off so long on the R to begin with. Some things just end up not mattering.

mhickman
290 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 20, 2019 12:28 as a reply to  @ WilsonFlyer's post |  #2468

The two card slot thing makes sense, but it also doesn't. How many card failures have happened because of defective cards, sub-standard cards (I've seen plenty of flash memory devices over the years that have failed, where other brands, like Sandisk, have nearly withstood anything), ejecting them improperly or deleting files directly from them?

On that last point, I used MagicLantern on my 6D for a while, but recently got away from it. One of the things that caused a card error was this: when using ML, if you tell it to format your card, it deletes everything from the card, except for the ML folders. Not formatting the card, but deleting the files. After about 7 or 8 of these "formats" my card errored out. I did a recovery to get the files, properly formatted the card and was able to get it back into my circulation.

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 12:30 |  #2469

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18795251 (external link)
On the Joystick issue:

Yes this is a major worry for me, certainly a hassle on the 6D despite the limited number of FPs compared to the joystick of the 20D/7D/7DII, but not the biggest issue on the 6D MMI for me (no access to FEC when keeping the viewfinder to the eye for example). But I accept it for what it is, for my main use case for the 6D these are not major issues.

The touchscreen I cannot comment on, as not having had a chance to play with the EOS R yet. Chris Giles review is a good pointer to the strengths and weaknesses of this method of controlling the FPs.

Correctly implemented it could be better than the joystick; have Canon refined the functionality sufficiently in this respect?... I suspect this would take quite a bit of trying-out to be sure on.

Its really quite simple lester, moving the point up is as simple as resting your thumb on screen and simply dragging it up. its reactive so it starts and stops where you wish.n

I use top right corn because my thumb is already there.

flickr (external link)

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by WilsonFlyer.

Jan 20, 2019 12:37 |  #2470

mhickman wrote in post #18795304 (external link)
The two card slot thing makes sense, but it also doesn't. How many card failures have happened because of defective cards, sub-standard cards (I've seen plenty of flash memory devices over the years that have failed, where other brands, like Sandisk, have nearly withstood anything), ejecting them improperly or deleting files directly from them?

On that last point, I used MagicLantern on my 6D for a while, but recently got away from it. One of the things that caused a card error was this: when using ML, if you tell it to format your card, it deletes everything from the card, except for the ML folders. Not formatting the card, but deleting the files. After about 7 or 8 of these "formats" my card errored out. I did a recovery to get the files, properly formatted the card and was able to get it back into my circulation.

I truly believe that most card failures these days are due to the knock-off fake cards sold on Amazon and Flea-Bay and USER ERROR. A SanDisk from BB is a SanDisk. Some dollars are not worth saving.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 10 months ago by Pondrader.

Jan 20, 2019 12:37 |  #2471

umphotography wrote in post #18795257 (external link)

I really don't think thats true Mike... You have convinced yourself and thats OK... but your saying a snap of your drunkin relative is more important than a once in a life time massive racked Bull Moose.. and the thousands of dollars put into travel accommodations and gear that just about any serious photographer these days puts into their craft..

It is your perspective only... Everyone here has their own. Personally if your doing it for a living then using any camera and a card going bad, two slots or not those images could be gone forever.

I call that the two lifejacket syndrome.... I had friends that their mothers would not let them into the water with only one life jacket on.... Their dead now... Could not see where they were going...  :p

flickr (external link)

WilsonFlyer
707 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by WilsonFlyer. (2 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2019 12:39 |  #2472

Pondrader wrote in post #18795307 (external link)
Its really quite simple lester, moving the point up is as simple as resting your thumb on screen and simply dragging it up. its reactive so it starts and stops where you wish.n

I use top right corn because my thumb is already there.

And I use the bottom right exactly the same way, but for a different reason. Because my thumb is NOT naturally there. One of the greatest things about the R is its huge implementation of customization.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 10 months ago by Pondrader.

Jan 20, 2019 12:41 |  #2473

Charlie wrote in post #18795287 (external link)
nope, I'm a rear lcd shooter myself, dont even care for the EVF, I dont even need touchpad focus either, at the same time, I'm not convinced that most people should shoot the way I do.

Thats incredible.... and for me...... not even a concept I'm gona look into...

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 13:07 |  #2474

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18795313 (external link)
And I use the bottom right exactly the same way, but for a different reason. Because my thumb is NOT naturally there. One of the greatest things about the R is its huge implementation of customization.

Ya got that right.... It can be just about anything you want it to be... Makes us freaks happy.. Cause ya know its our way or the hi way

flickr (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 20, 2019 13:11 |  #2475

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18795293 (external link)
And as for you "two slot guys," did all of you guys just not shoot weddings until every camera you could buy had two slots, or did you not get into the business of shooting weddings until the hardware caught up in your eyes? Who in the world would dare even shoot weddings before you guys came along??!?!?!

Everything improves over time. Card SLOTS. Firmware. The cards themselves. Everything. Personally, I think two card slots these days is totally superfluous. How 'bout that?

Let's talk about that. Seriously.

It's like arguing about the crop in 4k. Makes great YT banter, but in the real world, it hasn't bothered me one bit, and it was probably the PRIMARY reason I held off so long on the R to begin with. Some things just end up not mattering.

I always take a spare outfit in my car in case anything happens at a wedding. The one time I didn't have it in my car was the time I fell in a river and ripped my trousers. Bad things do happen so if there's an easy solution to that then I'm all for it..

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links

938,815 views & 15,359 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.