Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,671 posts
Gallery: 641 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by MatthewK.

Jan 20, 2019 13:28 |  #2491

Moving the AF point w/ rear LCD can be dramatically sped up if you switch it from relative to absolute, but I couldn’t get along with how erratic it was when you’d lift your thumb off the LCD and then put it back on to recompose, and the point jumps somewhere unintended.

Overall, the touch AF is awesome, I like it just as much as the joystick, but for shooting outdoors with gloves on, I think a joystick is still very much a vital feature.

"NEW YEAR, NO G.A.S"

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,920 posts
Gallery: 2495 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by Pondrader.

Jan 20, 2019 13:32 |  #2492

MatthewK wrote in post #18795348 (external link)
Moving the AF point w/ rear LCD can be dramatically sped up if you switch it from relative to absolute, but I couldn’t get along with how erratic it was when you’d lift your thumb off the LCD and then put it back on to recompose, and the point jumps somewhere unintended.

Overall, the touch AF is awesome, I like it just as much as the joystick, but for shooting outdoors with gloves on, I think a joystick is still very much a vital feature.

I think your still trying to figure out where you stand Matt... its all new for you.. It took me a few weeks/months to work through using and switching the way I do things... But now if I pickup any mirrorless I know just what I like.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,671 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 20, 2019 13:33 |  #2493

And since this thread is lacking actual photos... my almost-7 month old daughter:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"NEW YEAR, NO G.A.S"

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 13:36 |  #2494

MatthewK wrote in post #18795352 (external link)
And since this thread is lacking actual photos... my almost-7 month old daughter:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=187​95352&i=i116364361
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Thats why I post an image with about every text .... A bird of a different kind... your kind make me break out in a rash...

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,671 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 20, 2019 13:41 |  #2495

Pondrader wrote in post #18795351 (external link)
I think your still trying to figure out where you stand Matt... its all new for you.. It took me a few weeks/months to work through using and switching the way I do things... But now if I pickup any mirrorless I know just what I like.

In some regards, perhaps, but the Relative vs. Absolute touch-AF is definitely decided for me. If Canon could just match the Relative speed to that of the Absolute, and give us the ability to fine tune it, it'd be a major win. Absolute is just too jumpy; it'd be like using a DSLR w/ joystick, and when you went to move the AF point it'd suddenly jump to a random spot, versus it being where you had left it (how it is when set to Relative). I test drove Absolute when I was quickly trying to shoot a fidgety bird (a Chickadee, to be exact), and it was an exercise in futility.

"NEW YEAR, NO G.A.S"

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 13:46 |  #2496

MatthewK wrote in post #18795357 (external link)
In some regards, perhaps, but the Relative vs. Absolute touch-AF is definitely decided for me. If Canon could just match the Relative speed to that of the Absolute, and give us the ability to fine tune it, it'd be a major win. Absolute is just too jumpy; it'd be like using a DSLR w/ joystick, and when you went to move the AF point it'd suddenly jump to a random spot, versus it being where you had left it (how it is when set to Relative). I test drove Absolute when I was quickly trying to shoot a fidgety bird (a Chickadee, to be exact), and it was an exercise in futility.

That does not happen to me.... I do not use Absolute...

flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,671 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 20, 2019 13:53 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #2497

It's hard to put what I'm trying to describe into words.. Try it out and you'll see what I'm trying to convey. Absolute is much faster, but erratic... Relative is a joy to use, but much slower.

"NEW YEAR, NO G.A.S"

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 20, 2019 13:55 |  #2498

Pondrader wrote in post #18795351 (external link)

Hey Jeff. How are you making out with gloves now that the weather has hit? What kind of solution are you using?

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 14:15 |  #2499

I dont really shoot the R any different than I did the 7DII... I dont even think about it.. It just happens right in front of my eyes just as it did looking through the viewfinder on the 7DII. I sometimes dont leave the viewfinder for long stretches of time.. I've had a crowd form around me and not even know for quite some time... I may get a little to into the shoot.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 14:16 |  #2500

MatthewK wrote in post #18795367 (external link)
It's hard to put what I'm trying to describe into words.. Try it out and you'll see what I'm trying to convey. Absolute is much faster, but erratic... Relative is a joy to use, but much slower.

O I did Matt. Ive had an R around since October... Matt I can put my AF point on target 4 times faster than the 7DII and joystick....

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 14:19 |  #2501

nqjudo wrote in post #18795370 (external link)
Hey Jeff. How are you making out with gloves now that the weather has hit? What kind of solution are you using?

I'm using a Cabelas Data Tip glove. Not the warmest but I don't start whining until it hits below -35c.... I am Canadian ya know.... Living in the igloo helps condition a person...  :p:-D

flickr (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 20, 2019 14:31 |  #2502

Pondrader wrote in post #18795384 (external link)
I'm using a Cabelas Data Tip glove. Not the warmest but I don't start whining until it hits below -35c.... I am Canadian ya know.... Living in the igloo helps condition a person...  :p:-D

LOL. Yeah. But at least you can snuggle up with the dog sled team ;) . I used two different types of tactile gloves but I was never able to get very good results. I'll have to give it another go one of these days.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,360 posts
Gallery: 1036 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 20, 2019 14:34 |  #2503

nqjudo wrote in post #18795391 (external link)
LOL. Yeah. But at least you can snuggle up with the dog sled team ;) . I used two different types of tactile gloves but I was never able to get very good results. I'll have to give it another go one of these days.

Isn't that how the singing group "3 Dog Night" got their name? :-)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 20, 2019 14:47 |  #2504

Capn Jack wrote in post #18795392 (external link)
Isn't that how the singing group "3 Dog Night" got their name? :-)

LOOOOOOL!!!!

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2019 14:50 |  #2505

nqjudo wrote in post #18795391 (external link)

lol ... too funny. I find swapping warm gloves to workable gloves to be the answer..... And if the shooting gets intense I will go without regardless of temperature. My shutter keeps me warm as it about never stops.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

273,453 views & 7,245 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.