Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Gallery: 1000 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 21, 2019 07:05 |  #2521

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18795744 (external link)
-30C with the windchill. Tough conditions and this was the best I got. Shooting from my balcony.

The wind was no joke yesterday... no way was I going out in that. Temperature dropped from like 40 down to like 15 in a matter of hours.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader.

Jan 21, 2019 07:29 |  #2522

MatthewK wrote in post #18795758 (external link)
The wind was no joke yesterday... no way was I going out in that. Temperature dropped from like 40 down to like 15 in a matter of hours.

lol makes me chuckle.. Most of my good stuff, or what I call my good stuff was taken below -30c in the last 6 or 7 years. Not unusual to spend the entire day out in these temps.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Gallery: 1000 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by MatthewK.

Jan 21, 2019 07:39 |  #2523

Pondrader wrote in post #18795762 (external link)
lol makes me chuckle.. Most of my good stuff, or what I call my good stuff was taken below -30c in the last 6 or 7 years. Not unusual to spend the entire day out in these temps.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​95762&i=i151037666
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

It's not the temperature that bothers me, it was the gale force winds were we enjoying. I'll shoot on pretty much any day, except if there's wind. Wind ruins everything.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 21, 2019 07:44 |  #2524

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 21, 2019 08:07 |  #2525

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18795293 (external link)
And as for you "two slot guys," did all of you guys just not shoot weddings until every camera you could buy had two slots, or did you not get into the business of shooting weddings until the hardware caught up in your eyes? Who in the world would dare even shoot weddings before you guys came along??!?!?!

Everything improves over time. Card SLOTS. Firmware. The cards themselves. Everything. Personally, I think two card slots these days is totally superfluous. How 'bout that?

Let's talk about that. Seriously.

It's like arguing about the crop in 4k. Makes great YT banter, but in the real world, it hasn't bothered me one bit, and it was probably the PRIMARY reason I held off so long on the R to begin with. Some things just end up not mattering.

This is a pointless argument and an argument from someone that does not have enough experience in shooting weddings and events. I have captured over 550 weddings. And I shot film before digital technology. What did we do when we screwed up a roll of film. Most went out if business. If you shoot weddings, then you CANT screw them up.....PERIOD !!!! There are no redo's in weddings and once the image or moments is lost , then it is gone forever.

Your argument that back up systems are a far greater risk is also pointless to experienced wedding photographers and business owners- Most of us back up 3 ways. In the 15 yrs that I have been a wedding photographer, I have every single wedding i have captured backed to 2 separate locations Never lost a file and never will. I frankly dont know anyone who has shot 100+ that doesn't operate in the similar manner.

yes everything improves over time including technology. Technology has made it possible to not loose images to card corruption at the capture process. Its not peace of mind, Its common sense. A wedding is not like going out and shooting a bunch or birds. You dont get a 2nd shot at a wedding. Thats why the good wedding photographers are so deliberate in what we do and have systems in place and we use equipment to eliminate risks.

I shoot in the real world. 550+ real weddings.... I know what can happen...... I have lost 2 cards to corruption on 1D bodies and the back up cards had the files both times- Yes technology is very reliable. But its not 100% and for a wedding photographer you better not take the risk. Unless you just dont care. And these days there are plenty of judges that know that cameras have dual slots. They know data loss is 100% preventable on a dual card camera. You will loose every time in a court of law so I hope you have great liability insurance when you screw up a wedding and wind up in court. Yes there have been 20K + judgements against wedding photography business models & against photographers who screw them up....Most are new and go right out of business.

There are just too many arguments as to why its a stupid stupid thing to do. Going to a weeding and loosing an entire wedding to card corruption is 100% preventable. Why would anyone take the risk for such an important moment in anyones life. It horrible decision to do this. Loosing a card may not happen to you but it has happened to many. And when it does, a dual card camera will save your Butt every time.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader.

Jan 21, 2019 08:46 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #2526

Mike... Your taking all of this to heart and causing yourself to look like your the only opinion that matter's... Essentially your telling us owners that we are stupid and reckless for owning and shooting the EOS R.... Now I am the calmest guy in the world but all your doing is bringing us all down.

I think maybe you should right off the EOS R and stick with what makes you feel safe... It just seems to upsets your apple cart... Or should we all just push the "Unfollow button"

I think not...

Microsoft and Bill Gates made billions not caring about the losses and the hardware... You could too.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

bbqkid8
302 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 21, 2019 09:45 |  #2527

Woosah, everyone.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,284 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 21, 2019 09:52 |  #2528

Pondrader wrote in post #18795766 (external link)
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​95766&i=i40122345

so are they tame or just quite used to you, cant believe how close you are getting, they have gorgeous eyes

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Jan 21, 2019 09:56 |  #2529

aladyforty wrote in post #18795825 (external link)
so are they tame or just quite used to you, cant believe how close you are getting, they have gorgeous eyes

Nothing I shoot is tame... I shoot "Wildlife" If you look through my images on flickr or here nothing has changed, nothing is different.... and yes they do dont they

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Pondrader's gallery.

flickr (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 21, 2019 10:00 |  #2530

Pondrader wrote in post #18795791 (external link)
Mike... Your taking all of this to heart and causing yourself to look like your the only opinion that matter's... Essentially your telling us owners that we are stupid and reckless for owning and shooting the EOS R.... Now I am the calmest guy in the world but all your dong is bringing us all down.

I think maybe you should right off the EOS R and stick with what makes you feel safe... It just seems to upsets your apple cart... Or should we all just push the "Unfollow button"

I think not...

Microsoft and Bill Gates made billions not caring about the losses and the hardware... You could too.
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​95791&i=i190686976

Wrong

You are twisting the words and the point I am making is taken out of content. I never said you were stupid and dumb for owning an EOS R. I actually Like the camera and the new lens. The camera having a single slot is a non starter for my needs but it would wor for studio and personal needs so I am on the fence. I could use it in studio for business needs. No Problem

I did say that it is really stupid and dumb to show up to a wedding with a single slot camera and risk loosing an entire wedding to card corruption...especiall​y when it is 100% preventable....This would also apply to a 6D....single slot camera. Its a non starter for most seasoned wedding photographers......Thi​s has nothing to do with EOS R owners being dumb for selecting a single slot camera.....But for weddings Its a risk that I am not willing to take.....I never want to be that guy......It has nothing to do or insulting to you for owning an EOS R

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

WilsonFlyer
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 21, 2019 10:03 |  #2531

Mike, did you ever do wedding work back in the days when everything had one slot and there were no two-slot cameras? It hasn't been that long ago. You seemed desperate to address everything else I expressed my opinion on, but you never addressed that. I'd like to know the answer.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 21, 2019 10:08 |  #2532

umphotography wrote in post #18795830 (external link)
Wrong

You are twisting the words and the point I am making is taken out of content. I never said you were stupid and dumb for owning an EOS R. I actually Like the camera and the new lens. The camera having a single slot is a non starter for my needs but it would wor for studio and personal needs so I am on the fence. I could use it in studio for business needs. No Problem

I did say that it is really stupid and dumb to show up to a wedding with a single slot camera and risk loosing an entire wedding to card corruption...especiall​y when it is 100% preventable....This would also apply to a 6D....single slot camera. Its a non starter for most seasoned wedding photographers......Thi​s has nothing to do with EOS R owners being dumb for selecting a single slot camera.....But for weddings Its a risk that I am not willing to take.....I never want to be that guy......It has nothing to do or insulting to you for owning an EOS R

I don't think anyone is twisting anything here Mike.. Theres no reason to think your any different.. WE are the Back sheep of the family... run with us or let that dog die...

Theres no need to explain your position... we all get it.

Call me tired of the same arguments ...... I think most of us are........ I'm more colourful in person.... truly I am

flickr (external link)

bbqkid8
302 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 21, 2019 10:14 |  #2533

umphotography wrote in post #18795775 (external link)
A wedding is not like going out and shooting a bunch or birds. You dont get a 2nd shot at a wedding.

I get your side about the two slots issue. That's fine. This was my issue with the comment I quoted above: it's as if wedding photography is more important than other genres of photography. I'm sure there are many wildlife photographers out there who have missed moments of rare wildlife that may or may not be seen ever again (similar to a moment not being captured at a wedding). I mean, we just lost the last EVER northern white rhino! Nobody will ever get a photo of it... not even the greatest wildlife photographer. Yes, a wedding is important to document but you're equating it to hobbyist bird photographers and not professionals.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

RodS57
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 21, 2019 10:23 |  #2534

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18795654 (external link)
Okay you folks with the 100-400's and the stacked extenders...

Who was out shooting the moon?

This was with the 70-200...

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by SereneSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=187​95654&i=i11445567

Lucky you. Light snow here. I could see the ball of white through the clouds but no definition.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by umphotography.

Jan 21, 2019 10:32 |  #2535

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18795832 (external link)
Mike, did you ever do wedding work back in the days when everything had one slot and there were no two-slot cameras? It hasn't been that long ago. You seemed desperate to address everything else I expressed my opinion on, but you never addressed that. I'd like to know the answer.

I have not shot a wedding on a digital camera that was not a dual card camera. 1DMKIII was the first 1 i used in June 2007. I started shootng wedding digitally 2006 and rented a 1D11 until I could afford to buy the 1DMiii........Yes, prior to 2006, we shot film for wedding needs. And we screwed up lots of shots on film

The difference being, you could, If you really screwed up loose a roll. Thats 36 shots. We always captured formals on 2 cameras for that reason alone. So, That was 2 rolls of film Each and 72 shots each. Cheap insurance.try loosing 600 shots o a 32 GB card....major difference

Times and technology changed with digital as did how we go about shooting weddings. Its 2 different eras. So I hope that helps.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

2,001,763 views & 27,173 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.