Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

WilsonFlyer
770 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 21, 2019 19:07 |  #2566

OK. Maybe this is not terribly embarrassing. This is typical of the kind of things I shoot, aside from hundreds upon hundreds at Disney parks worldwide.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,649 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 21, 2019 19:10 |  #2567

The most encouraging news is how well it seems to work with EF lenses.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

bbqkid8
301 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 21, 2019 19:14 |  #2568

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18796150 (external link)
OK. Maybe this is not terribly embarrassing. This is typical of the kind of things I shoot, aside from hundreds upon hundreds at Disney parks worldwide.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by WilsonFlyer in
./showthread.php?p=187​96150&i=i173077785
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18796144 (external link)
OK. That's not too hard. :D

I think my EXIF was lost because I grabbed these quickly off FB and it had already stripped it out. I don't feel like trying to find the originals right now.

EOS R 70-200/2.8G1

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​96144&i=i54305954

The colours and facial expressions on those kids are awesome.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

WilsonFlyer
770 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 21, 2019 19:14 |  #2569

As a side note, I tried to post two JPGs SOOC to that last post, but the first one said it was too big. See? That seems like a hassle to me. I'm not complaining, and I don't blame our gracious host for setting limits, but the few times I've tried in the past, I've hit that same wall. Is there something out there that's easy to just know these things down that isn't a total PITA. I have Lightroom and PS but hardly ever use either of them unless somebody holds a gun to my head. What you get JPG SOOC with me is what you get. Almost period.

WilsonFlyer
770 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by WilsonFlyer. (4 edits in all)

Jan 21, 2019 19:17 |  #2570

Tommydigi wrote in post #18796151 (external link)
The most encouraging news is how well it seems to work with EF lenses.

FWIW, all of the shots I posted above were with the ORIGINAL 70-200/2.8 IS. I just can't seem to get motivated to take the financial hit and sell it for such a loss just to buy a II or III. Not for what I do anyway. This lens seems fine to me, and it focuses faster on the R than it does on my 80D or my 5D Mk III. A lot faster actually it seems to me in unscientific usage.

Those are JPGs SOOC and untouched. Not even cropped, obviously. Pretty much how I always shoot. I'll usually turn RAW on too for the "cast" picture I always do at the end just in case, but I've never had to use one.

bbqkid8
301 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 21, 2019 19:20 |  #2571

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18796155 (external link)
As a side note, I tried to post two JPGs SOOC to that last post, but the first one said it was too big. See? That seems like a hassle to me. I'm not complaining, and I don't blame our gracious host for setting limits, but the few times I've tried in the past, I've hit that same wall. Is there something out there that's easy to just know these things down that isn't a total PITA. I have Lightroom and PS but hardly ever use either of them unless somebody holds a gun to my head. What you get JPG SOOC with me is what you get. Almost period.

That’s odd. When I upload, the photos automatically downscale. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

WilsonFlyer
770 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 21, 2019 19:22 |  #2572

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18796161 (external link)
That’s odd. When I upload, the photos automatically downscale. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

That's what I would have thought too. The "second" one uploaded fine, but the first one said it was too big.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Gallery: 1424 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by Capn Jack.

Jan 21, 2019 19:55 |  #2573

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18796161 (external link)

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18796162 (external link)
That's what I would have thought too. The "second" one uploaded fine, but the first one said it was too big.

There's a 10 megabyte limit. They will "downscale" to a pixel size limit, but not in terms of memory. Lightroom Classic Creative Cloud allows exporting to a megabyte limit.

I've run into this on my 7D2 images as well.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,361 posts
Gallery: 818 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 21, 2019 20:07 |  #2574

Pondrader wrote in post #18796104 (external link)
You sure are a character Mr Wilson.... Sharing images is what this place is all about... Check this out... popped up on my phone. seems like a reasonable comparison of the R and the 1DxII... It's nice to see someone do a intelligent review.

The guy does a good job of articulating the differences when it comes to video, and for basic stills capture. Not surprised by his IQ findings, as the similar sensor in the 5D4 lost nothing when compared to the 1DX2, and in fact edged it out for micro detail due to the extra MPX. The 1-series holds a slight edge in high ISO performance.

Pretty much what I’m seeing when I shoot both back to back; I’m actually convinced that the sensor in the R produces a much better final image than my 5D4 did, despite them being the same. The IQ from my R and 1DX2 are comparable as well, I wouldn’t choose one over the other in this dept...

Where the 1-series surpasses my R, though, is in the overall direct feel of operation, the ergonomics of the controls, and the camera responsiveness. The R doesn’t drive lenses as quick as the 1. For bird shooting, the R just isn’t there for me quite yet, but it’s close; I think with some tweaks to the interface, more AF point options, and improvement of the EVF blackout, the R will be more than viable for most shooters.

What do I grab first when it’s time for birding? 1DX2. For everything else: no contest, the R.

2020: New Year, New Decade, NO G.A.S (Yep, we're giving it another shot!)
Canon/Nikon/Fuji

WilsonFlyer
770 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by WilsonFlyer.

Jan 21, 2019 20:09 |  #2575

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18796154 (external link)
The colours and facial expressions on those kids are awesome.

Thanks. It's a fun show. It's kind of turned into a local phenomenon of sorts. It's a local dance studio's adaptation of The Grinch twisted in with the Christmas story. The Grinch has become a local star, and has come back for 9 seasons to reprise the role. They sell out 6 shows a year in a 600 seat venue and have for 9 years now (The entire county is only 60k people.), with only small changes in the show each year to reflect what's going on in the country. The kids start working on it in July and they absolutely love doing it and ADORE "The Grinch," Fletcher Duke.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 21, 2019 20:33 |  #2576

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,649 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 21, 2019 22:12 |  #2577

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18796158 (external link)
FWIW, all of the shots I posted above were with the ORIGINAL 70-200/2.8 IS. I just can't seem to get motivated to take the financial hit and sell it for such a loss just to buy a II or III. Not for what I do anyway. This lens seems fine to me, and it focuses faster on the R than it does on my 80D or my 5D Mk III. A lot faster actually it seems to me in unscientific usage.

Those are JPGs SOOC and untouched. Not even cropped, obviously. Pretty much how I always shoot. I'll usually turn RAW on too for the "cast" picture I always do at the end just in case, but I've never had to use one.

They look great to me. Thanks for posting!

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,066 posts
Gallery: 123 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 21, 2019 22:53 as a reply to  @ WilsonFlyer's post |  #2578

Facebook does strip EXIF.

Dave
Image editing OK

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,030 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 21, 2019 23:07 |  #2579

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​96150&i=i173077785

These are superb!

I look forward to seeing more of your images.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Jan 22, 2019 00:16 |  #2580

We were going to shoot in the redwoods, but rain poured and we headed indoors. This was the first time using a foldup softbox umbrella I carried in my van but never used before. It seemed to do reasonably well. On the left I bounced into a silver umbrella. I only had enough for two lights on this trip to the redwood coast and Crescent City.

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

1,048,987 views & 17,111 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.