Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Jan 2019 (Thursday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox XPro Flash Trigger Review [video]

photofreak99
43 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 31, 2019 19:10 |  #1

Here's a new video review of the Godox XPro TTL flash trigger, providing a summary of the pros and cons.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=btNK2hWzy8c (external link)

I hope you find it helpful.

My Photography Websites:
SteeleTraining.com (external link)
SteeleVisions.com (external link) Personal Photography Site and Blog
BurnMonkey.com (external link) Photos from the Burning Man Festival

sponsored links
quell
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2019

Jan 31, 2019 21:19 |  #2

Are you going to follow up with reviewing the R2 Pro Mark II? For anyone in the US, the Adorama version supercedes the Godox version in every way at the same price.

marchboom
58 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 04, 2019 13:26 |  #3

Great video...thanks

You mentioned that the battery level indicator never displays "full" when using rechargeable batteries. I wonder if Godox could correct this thru firmware?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,109 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 04, 2019 13:45 |  #4

The "C" is the same way, rechargeables are 1.2v vs. 1.5v for alkaline. It's very disconcerting until you know this, once went through about 8 batteries wondering why they all were near dead until I finally realized what was going on.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Specfoto
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Feb 15, 2019 20:40 |  #5

Long time Godox user here. Good video, but why didn't you mention that Godox has a transmitter with a hot shoe instead of saying you needed a Pixel? You are using the X1R (receiver), but they make a X1T (transmitter) too. It allows for camera mounted flash and works just as well as the X1 Pro, thought the view screen is smaller. I use this for tripod mounted camera shots as the screen is not sloped at an angle and can be seen from the rear of a eye-level mounted camera. And with the FW updates, it too allows for cross compatibility of flash.

Jared5
241 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Feb 17, 2019 13:06 |  #6

Just watched the video, very nicely done!

These triggers are really great. When you consider how many features are packed into that tiny box for less than $80 it's completely worth the money (compared to over $400 for a Profoto trigger with fewer features).

I love the ALL button and the TCM button and use them often since I mainly shoot in Manual mode. When I first saw something similar to TCM on the Profoto system I thought that was the coolest thing but couldn't see myself paying for Profoto gear. When I learned that Godox had the same thing (plus more features) I sold all my existing lighting gear and went Godox/Flashpoint.

Glad that there is a switch to turn on/off the focus assist beam rather than requiring users to dive into a menu system to turn it on/off. I do with the focus assist beam was tighter like the Canon Speedlites, but hopefully that will be improved in the XPro III version whenever it comes out; because the XPro II version has a very similar focus assist beam.

I agree with you that manufacturers need to build gear to better accept rechargeable batteries.
Meanwhile, I find much more reliable results by using 1.5V alkaline batteries in my triggers than 1.2V rechargeable batteries. Everything else I do is with rechargeable batteries, but when it comes to a radio system I'll still use alkaline if it means more reliability.

No Pass-Through - Not sure why you recommend the Pixel King as an option for a pass-through hotshoe, especially since the Pixel King doesn't appear to be any better than the Godox X1T.
I have no experience with Pixel King, but I'm assuming it isn't Cross-Brand Compatible like the Godox X1T and probably won't trigger or control Godox speedlites or the larger Godox/Flashpoint strobes. I own the XPro (both the Godox and Flashpoint versions), the Flashpoint XPro II, and the Godox X1T. I use the X1T when I need an on-camera flash and it works fine, but for everything else, I really like the XPro II (except for some misfire issues with the AD600 Pro strobes).

The manuals are definitely a challenge, especially since I like to read the manuals and learn about everything my gear is capable of. I recently had issues understanding the manual for my AD200 and had to get online and ask around. After several responses someone was able to figure it out and now I know what the manual was trying to say.

EOS R (x2) | 5D Mk4 (x2) | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D (x2) | 80D | 50D (x2) | 40D | EOS M (x4) |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS |

sponsored links

794 views & 4 likes for this thread
Godox XPro Flash Trigger Review [video]
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.