Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Feb 2019 (Friday) 15:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So Godox looks great and all, but - repair?

paintedlotus
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 04, 2019 02:25 |  #16

simonbarker wrote in post #18803670 (external link)
If you're doing something critical you're carrying spares either way aren't you?

Well yes of course. I'm not really prone to using more than a couple lights at a time anyway and therefore always have spares. But the point is that even if everything went to hell in a handbasket and all my lights were busted, I could still go to the rental house that's about 10 minutes from my studio and pick up replacements that would work seamlessly. And it seems highly unlikely that rental houses will be carrying Godox equipment any time soon due to the very nature of their gear getting used and beat up all the time. I'd assume that if Godox wants to remain competitive in the long run, repair is something they will inevitably have to address. Whether or not that day comes before I need to invest in new equipment is my issue, especially given their very attractive price point.

Website (external link)

beauty, fashion, model tests, portraits

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 11 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2019 06:59 |  #17

Well if you have the funds to spend on the gear and have a shop so close by, then it seems you have made your decision.

Not all folks will have the gear subjected to the same treatment as others, and don't have easy access to a facility that has backup gear at a moment's notice. In fact a vast majority do not. Yes if everything terrible that could happen all at once and kills all your gear, then having quick access to rental gear seems to make sense. However planning for the absolute worst case situations will drain a wallet quicker than one sitting on the kitchen island with your high school kids running around the house and seeing it laying out.

I personally plan for an elapsed time of ownership to determine costs of gear, with some funds set aside for an occasional accident. This is more financially sensible IMO. So I have 1 spare of everything (other than the 600w) so that if anything breaks during a shoot, I have a spare, and then later I can replace it or worry about fixing it. I can get a replacement in 2-3 days.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

simonbarker
245 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 04, 2019 07:46 |  #18

paintedlotus wrote in post #18804355 (external link)
And it seems highly unlikely that rental houses will be carrying Godox equipment any time soon due to the very nature of their gear getting used and beat up all the time.

I don't think that's the reason why they don't carry them, there's nothing to indicate they're especially more fragile than the competition but I think it's more one of price, I doubt Godox is willing to give the rental shops much of a bulk discount and unless you're someone who doesn't like kit sitting around the rental prices get harder to justify when the retail price is (usually) reasonable. Past a certain point it's probably not worth the rental shops time and trouble.

There's also timing to consider, 5 years ago (something like that) they were still playing second fiddle to Bowens but like the saying goes, the past is a foreign country.

I'd assume that if Godox wants to remain competitive in the long run, repair is something they will inevitably have to address.

I don't think that makes any sense for their business model, they have companies that are willing to take on the local responsibilities and they seem quite happy to keep pumping out kit. Look at how the lighting market currently is, the traditional brands are under much more pressure to compete than Godox.

Whether or not that day comes before I need to invest in new equipment is my issue, especially given their very attractive price point.

I'm not suggesting Godox is the right or wrong choice for you but I think you should forget about Godox repairs, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them. I personally think that a two year warranty is reasonable enough coverage for most (the Pro heads are pushing it though) of their kit and there's no reason to believe it'll blow up immediately after.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (3 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2019 08:22 |  #19

Their product line has evolved rapidly over the last 3-5 years. The first big mention of godox was the 180 announcement thread almost exactly 6 years ago, and it was another year before the 360 gained any real traction at all. There has been a constant evolution of virtually the entire line, as someone already mentioned, supporting reasonable repair costs with that kind of product churn would be a tough task.

Now though, the product line up is approaching maturity. There won't be a constant need for training service techs on new products, and there won't be a need to stock all kinds of soon to be obsolete parts. There's no guarantee of anything changing with regard to service, but at some point it should start to make more sense to offer repair, even if it is just for the most expensive products.

Given a 3 year warranty that equals virtually half the history of the Godox lighting system, I suspect by the end of that period we might be getting some better service options.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,154 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 11 months ago by Angmo.

Feb 04, 2019 08:31 |  #20

If I’m Looking at godox, I’d give Phottix a long look too.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,055 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt.

Feb 04, 2019 09:40 |  #21

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18804459 (external link)
Their product line has evolved rapidly over the last 3-5 years. The first big mention of godox was the 180 announcement thread almost exactly 6 years ago, and it was another year before the 360 gained any real traction at all. There has been a constant evolution of virtually the entire line, as someone already mentioned, supporting reasonable repair costs with that kind of product churn would be a tough task.

Now though, the product line up is approaching maturity. There won't be a constant need for training service techs on new products, and there won't be a need to stock all kinds of soon to be obsolete parts. There's no guarantee of anything changing with regard to service, but at some point it should start to make more sense to offer repair, even if it is just for the most expensive products.

Given a 3 year warranty that equals virtually half the history of the Godox lighting system, I suspect by the end of that period we might be getting some better service options.

I think a big obstacle for a 'start-up', albeit one which is 6+ years old, is the financial wherewithall to finance a factor-associated service distribution -- staffing and spares inventory, (tech support and admin) support on their own and/or finding a local enterprise that can do that as the 'distributor' of their goods for some geographic area. Perhaps they have sufficient volume of business to do that. OTOH, in my review of their website, they do not appear to offer post-sales support even to home country purchasers...just their business model.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 11 months ago by TeamSpeed. (8 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2019 09:51 |  #22

I don't worry about repairs as I would have a 3 year warranty. After that, I would want to upgrade lights again and sell my 600w leaving me with maybe a $100 per year annual cost. I would have to own the B1X for around 14 years for that kind of similar annual ownership cost, after selling it at that point, and assuming no repair bills.

My AD360 strobes, after purchase and then owning for 2-3 years, ended up costing me about $50 per year per strobe.

Just depends on your budget and needs, and ability to sift through the noise of which is better and why and for how long at whatever cost. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited 11 months ago by jlafferty.

Feb 04, 2019 10:23 |  #23

I own and use Flashpoint stuff professionally. Given what you’ve said about banging up your gear I wouldn’t suggest you get Flashpoint necessarily, but then I don’t know a lighting system that survives that kind of use, no matter the brand or cost. Maybe Speedotron or Dynalite but I’d much prefer lighter, faster, easier gear over Soviet era tanks any day.

That said, buying based on either rental integration or a Doomsday Scenario has always struck me as strange, as if people let their fears shape decisions when their fears seem mismatched with reality. In either case I can’t see the logic behind buying into a specific brand:

In the case of rental integration: if I’m going somewhere where they stock a brand of light at the studio, I’m going to rent all of my gear from them per the client’s budget, leaving mine at home. I’m not going to bother dragging any of my gear to the shoot so that I can rent one key modifier or something. And if I *am* dragging my gear somewhere and renting part of the grip, it’s the stands & grip that are getting rented, and I’m bringing lights with redundancy as part of the cost I bill the client.

Doomsday Scenario: where all lights spontaneously combust, are lost to catastrophic dropping, or are stolen in some Ocean’s 11 situation - this has never happened. It seems like the overimaginings of fear. But let’s say it does - my shoot’s getting cancelled and the date moved, where by then I’ll have gotten replacements. I’m not going to pause the shoot hoping the 90 minute delay of getting to a rental facility, providing insurance and payment info, getting the gear and driving back, won’t somehow ruin the day.

FWIW I generally work with two lights, but pack four: two 600Pros, two 200s and the bracket that allows me to use them as a single 400ws light. In my doomsday scenario, a single 600ws light goes down and I move the 400ws in to replace; two 600ws lights go down and I split the 400 to two 200s and work at a slower pace; all my lights go down and I just curl up in a ball and start sobbing.

Well yes of course. I'm not really prone to using more than a couple lights at a time anyway and therefore always have spares. But the point is that even if everything went to hell in a handbasket and all my lights were busted, I could still go to the rental house that's about 10 minutes from my studio and pick up replacements that would work seamlessly. And it seems highly unlikely that rental houses will be carrying Godox equipment any time soon due to the very nature of their gear getting used and beat up all the time. I'd assume that if Godox wants to remain competitive in the long run, repair is something they will inevitably have to address. Whether or not that day comes before I need to invest in new equipment is my issue, especially given their very attractive price point.

Current Portfolio (external link)

Jared5
244 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Feb 17, 2019 14:08 |  #24

I've had Einsteins and Paul C Buff is really good about warranty and general repairs.

Because of a bad experience I had with a cheap Flashpoint ball-head, I had a negative perception of the Flashpoint brand. When I decided to sell all my lighting gear and go with Godox, I wanted Godox-branded gear, not Flashpoint. But once I learned that Adorama's Flashpoint lights are the exact same as Godox, and with a better warranty and return policy, I decided to go all Flashpoint.

Now I have all Flashpoint/Godox gear and the only issue I'm having is some triggering problems with the AD600 Pro units. I purchased them from Adorama, so I can replace them as they're still within the warranty period. Not sure what would have happened if they were Godox.

Your question about repair after the warranty expires is something I'll have to look into. A $150 Speedlite that fails after a couple years isn't as big of a deal, but a $300 AD200, or a $900 AD600 Pro is a different story.

EOS R (x2) | 5D Mk4 (x2) | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D (x2) | 80D | 50D (x2) | 40D | EOS M (x4) |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS |

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 18, 2019 03:04 |  #25

If you’re having a problem with Flashpoint, the same problem would exist with Godox. They’re literally the same light with just different text stenciled on the outside. Curious what camera system, workflow and issues you’re having?

Out of warranty coverage with Flashpoint seems to be a percentage discount on the purchase of replacement lights. You should contact Adorama directly and see what percentage they’d give you.

Current Portfolio (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 18, 2019 17:56 |  #26

Wilt wrote in post #18804484 (external link)
I think a big obstacle for a 'start-up', albeit one which is 6+ years old, is the financial wherewithall to finance a factor-associated service distribution -- staffing and spares inventory, (tech support and admin) support on their own and/or finding a local enterprise that can do that as the 'distributor' of their goods for some geographic area. Perhaps they have sufficient volume of business to do that. OTOH, in my review of their website, they do not appear to offer post-sales support even to home country purchasers...just their business model.

Godox, like virtually all the Chinese based telecom manufacturers I dealt with, have a FOB, no service, sales model. They are manufacturers selling into a single tier retail channel. Adorama, Cheetah Stand, Molight, or whomever, buys the products from Godox, understanding that, except for DOA units, there is no warranty or repair from the manufacturer.

That's a reasonable and acceptable contract manufacturing model. The difficulty for us as consumers is that we have come to expect, from US and to a lesser extent, European manufacturers that they will support a multi-tier distribution system with warranty and repair built into it.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,154 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 18, 2019 18:50 |  #27

dmward wrote in post #18813918 (external link)
Godox, like virtually all the Chinese based telecom manufacturers I dealt with, have a FOB, no service, sales model. They are manufacturers selling into a single tier retail channel. Adorama, Cheetah Stand, Molight, or whomever, buys the products from Godox, understanding that, except for DOA units, there is no warranty or repair from the manufacturer.

That's a reasonable and acceptable contract manufacturing model. The difficulty for us as consumers is that we have come to expect, from US and to a lesser extent, European manufacturers that they will support a multi-tier distribution system with warranty and repair built into it.

Same with Paul C Buff. They only sell in the US and generally not overseas. I tried to talk to them about setting up repair facilities for sales, warranty and repair services and even had the folks skilled in repair necessary for overseas support.

Buff said they tried but lacked experience and leadership so shied away from it. I offered to help. Oh well. My concern is Buff will slowly fade away with such a self-destructive business model.

Potentially the same with Godox

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 18, 2019 19:32 |  #28

Outside of Flashpoint, I do believe Flashgear.net and Molight both sell and service the Good line here in the US. Off the top of my head, I am not sure they service models not purchased from them, but I think they might given the equipment and pieces are the same.

personally, I switched to good products after about 2 years of Profoto use and did so for a couple reasons - (1) cost of the lights, (2) cost of the modifiers and (3) it is a true ecosystem at that point. The big advantage to moving to Godox was all their lights could be controlled from a single transmitter. Now, Profoto has changed that since adding their $1000 speed light, but, and this is where the money comes in, why would you pay $1000 for a speed light? For that kind of money, I can buy 8-10 Godox lights or a whole system (I currently have 3 AD600s (non-ttl and non-pro) as well as 2 860IIs) which was under $1000 if you time sales and/or buy used.

While I concur that service isn't their strong point, I do fall into the category of if it breaks and is out of warranty, I'll just replace it. In 2 years, nothing has broken except a transmitter and it was replaced under warranty.

Another Godox advantage? The 600 and 1200 extensions heads for the studio strobes. Makes booming a lot easier.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Jared5
244 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Feb 19, 2019 01:56 |  #29

jlafferty wrote in post #18813400 (external link)
If you’re having a problem with Flashpoint, the same problem would exist with Godox. They’re literally the same light with just different text stenciled on the outside. Curious what camera system, workflow and issues you’re having?

Out of warranty coverage with Flashpoint seems to be a percentage discount on the purchase of replacement lights. You should contact Adorama directly and see what percentage they’d give you.

-

I have lots of misfire issues with my Flashpoint XPLOR 600 Pro strobes. I have several XPro transmitters and two XPro II transmitters, and after cycling through them it doesn't seem to be a trigger issue because I have no problems when triggering my other Flashpoint/Godox gear.
Here's everything that I'm working with (not everything at the same time of course):

• (1) Flashpoint RAPID 600
  • (2) Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO
  • (3) eVOLV200
  • (6) Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 TTL Speedlites

I'm shooting with a Canon 5D Mk4. I've tried everything I can think of including turning off the camera's WiFi in case it interferes (but that still wouldn't explain misfires happening only on the 600PRO units).

It's super embarrassing when shooting corporate headshots. I've finally picked up the older Godox/Flashpoint R1 (433MHz) trigger system which works perfectly every time. The trigger is a bit clunkier looking, but I'll take that over misfires any day!

I still need to send them back for repair/replacement, but don't have a long enough opening in my shooting schedule until April.

EOS R (x2) | 5D Mk4 (x2) | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D (x2) | 80D | 50D (x2) | 40D | EOS M (x4) |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 19, 2019 07:35 |  #30

I assume you have updated to the latest firmware for both the 600Pro and transmitters? I remember another member having issues with the 600Pro, but he later updated the transmitter firmware when Godox released it, and his misfire count dropped significantly.

sponsored links

2,883 views & 29 likes for this thread
So Godox looks great and all, but - repair?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.