Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 Feb 2019 (Friday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographers no-show, sick or double-booked - ever taken-over wedding photography last moment?

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 01, 2019 09:46 |  #1

Have any of you been called at the last moment by couples due to another photographer become sick, not showing up as scheduled or possibly double-booking?

If so, how did you price it and how did it (those) work out?

It seems like the rare camera card failure, that this kind of problem must happen from time to time.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,638 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 01, 2019 18:57 |  #2

I've done it a couple of times when the original photographer couldn't make it for various reasons. However I always had a day or two notice.

I worked out the pricing with the original photographer and not the couple.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,788 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2019 18:58 |  #3

jcolman wrote in post #18802924 (external link)
I've done it a couple of times when the original photographer couldn't make it for various reasons. However I always had a day or two notice.

I worked out the pricing with the original photographer and not the couple.

Same has happened to me, once.
It was a middle ago couple, each in 2nd marriage. I recall how strange it was to be invited by both to sit at their table during the reception, to join them for lunch! Needless to say, it afforded some opportunities for spontaneous candid photos that might otherwise have been much more difficult to capture. In this case, it was the guy they had hired who recommended me to them and who contacted me a couple of days before; we had both attended the same product lighting workshop held at a local commercial photographer's studio, which is where we met.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 02, 2019 01:41 |  #4

I've filled in for a friend who's a photographer when he was sick. I was asked the night before to fill in. I just filled in for him, did all the work, he paid me what the couple paid him. Last thing a couple wants is "hey I'm your new photographer, let's talk about prices" just before their wedding, stress levels can be very high. Better is "Hey, I'm filling in for xyz who's not well, there's no change of anything for you except the photographer so don't worry about anything". Even that will be stressful enough.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,925 posts
Gallery: 244 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 06, 2019 07:47 |  #5

I did this about 40 years and it was a freakin' nightmare. Got a call from a "friend" who was "sick" the morning of. Went to the brides house to be told "we're not paying you any extra" which was odd.
Got everything ready for presentation and was told "we already paid the other guy, see him" so just left the album.
The "friend" denied any payment had been made, and his "illness" was his wife had caught him cheating and threw him out. No gear, so no wedding photos. No payment or apology either.
You live and learn.

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2019 17:19 |  #6

ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS: Wedding happen!

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

cristphoto
958 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 12, 2019 07:30 |  #7

I had a somewhat similar issue years ago. A friend wanted to start doing weddings as a sideline many years ago. I told him I would be his assistant on his first wedding. On the way to the brides home he was in a car accident and never made it (he did get to the church in time however). So I got all the bridal prep shots and met him at the church. This was all before cell phones so there was a period of concern. He was pretty stressed but once things started occurring he got into the flow.

5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

mcap1972
151 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 20, 2019 13:24 |  #8

It happened to me few times but I always sent them my regular pricelist.

Avangard Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 20, 2019 13:58 |  #9

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18805874 (external link)
I did this about 40 years and it was a freakin' nightmare. Got a call from a "friend" who was "sick" the morning of. Went to the brides house to be told "we're not paying you any extra" which was odd.
Got everything ready for presentation and was told "we already paid the other guy, see him" so just left the album.
The "friend" denied any payment had been made, and his "illness" was his wife had caught him cheating and threw him out. No gear, so no wedding photos. No payment or apology either.
You live and learn.

Wow what a story, that would have been just a bit over the top for me... Usually I never consider social media for a social thrashing, but in this case, I would have to rethink my policy.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Ltdave
Goldmember
3,331 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 25, 2019 02:51 |  #10

my wife is from Denmark and we were home visiting when her cousin was getting married so naturally we went...

i always lug my gear around with me and i opted to sit near the rear of the church. this church like most of the smaller community's have a door that enters straight into the sanctuary through a small vestibule about mid-sanctuary. this allowed me to be back out of the way of everyone...

mid day wedding with lots of natural light at the pulpit so im happily shooting away. grab some of the organist and guitarist at the rear of the church, some of the bride and groom leaving the ceremony etc and off to the reception. i shoot a bunch of shots there while their "paid photographer" shoots some stuff...

i edit up my work and send them a CD and they are so grateful because their photographer was the owner of a camera store and NOT a wedding photographer and most everything he shot was more "snapshot" imagery vs wedding photos...

i had fun doing it but didnt try to charge them anything for it. i spent 0 effort in planning or running around and they both really appreciated it...

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 09, 2019 17:11 |  #11

Interesting.

More broad variety of experiences than I would have imagined when first posting.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Mar 31, 2019 19:54 |  #12

The timing of this thread when I posted it is almost coincidental. It was just two weeks after posting that a call came to photograph the wedding where the photo below is from. Apparently the scheduled photographer withdrew due to her schedule. I thought it was odd the other photographer didn't piece the dates together sooner, or had an extra reason. The wedding was March 23rd. I think the email and call came near March 12th.

Anyhow, I just experienced what I asked about.

For several reasons, I'm glad to have been asked. This wedding became a transition for me. Whereas I questioned whether to cover more than just couples in the redwoods, I realized slightly bigger weddings were not just something I can do, but something I can enjoy. And out of town too. This one was about an hour away at a resort area in southern Oregon. Having packed heavy since I have a van, I learned what I don't need and can do without nearby, or even on a trip.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from mdvaden's gallery.

Dead ­ Pixels
31 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2018

Apr 01, 2019 12:08 |  #13

Judging from this picture and your others from this wedding, the bride and groom were probably happy it worked out that they were able to get you for their wedding. Nicely done.

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
673 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2017

Apr 01, 2019 12:19 |  #14

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18809266 (external link)
ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS: Wedding happen!

Yes thats the one things All divorces have in common

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 01, 2019 17:20 |  #15

Dead Pixels wrote in post #18838574 (external link)
Judging from this picture and your others from this wedding, the bride and groom were probably happy it worked out that they were able to get you for their wedding. Nicely done.

I believe they will happy about it all. But because I agreed to give them virtually every photo not culled, I emailed a 100% crop from a grainy high ISO reception room photo, completely unedited. I wanted them to understand what the least pretty images are like.

But there were plenty of clean, nice looking photos too.

sponsored links

1,474 views & 2 likes for this thread
Photographers no-show, sick or double-booked - ever taken-over wedding photography last moment?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.