Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 10 Feb 2019 (Sunday) 07:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Remember Painerly and Gringe?

Stiga
Cream of the Crop
5,810 posts
Gallery: 827 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 10, 2019 07:07 |  #1

It seems incredible that only 7 or 8 years ago some of us were posting Painerly and Grungey stuff with shed-loads of noise and horrendous halos. In case you have forgotten, this is how they looked.

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/aaj2hAM.jpg
IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/QVXqyc7.jpg

There was also the dreaded Photomatix "glow". I spenty hours trying to eliminate it
IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/M4SlUu9.jpg

Machinery was very popular too
IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/KHMTSEu.jpg

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/y4sZXOg.jpg

It is hard to find images like this now except in old galleries on the web that have not been touched for years. I for one, don't regret that the days of over-saturation and all the othere excesses are now gone.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,511 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 11, 2019 10:29 |  #2

I'm not sure it's all gone . Same products still available and can still produce the same results . What matters is people that are still working with HDR creations have either become better at their editing and taking better captures for HDR processing .

Photmatix has come a long ways from 7 yrs. ago and mainly it's just a matter of learning how to use the program . Many other HDR programs are also on the market and improved . Topaz Adjust is one of them as well as all the line Topaz now has . At first Machinery was really good until some people like me refused to pay for upgrades every year when all the other programs are still running free upgrades and Machinery has always been the most finicky about making their upgrade download and install correctly without problems and having to re-insert the key .

Also over all the years I've known about HDR the subject itself has been at center attention of what exactly is real HDR and how good it is . In the past monitors have changed tremendously as to what type they are and they also have become easier to work with and need almost no adjusting except in the eyes of the owner . Everyone has their own thought of what color is best and how it looks projected on a monitor screen . Yep , very touchy subject !

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,810 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 11, 2019 11:44 |  #3

Yes, software authors have made huge improvements.

But I am thankful that "pushed" HDR is very rare now.

Martin

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,720 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2019 12:09 |  #4

Fads come and go and photography is prime for fad explosions. Who remembers things like selective coloring, Instagram filter abuse, Victorian chair in a field or RR track HS senior portraits, planking, and so many more. They all have their 15 minutes and then fade into nothingness.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,810 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 11, 2019 13:10 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #5

LOL!

Martin

txsizzler
462 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2017

Feb 11, 2019 20:51 |  #6

Back when the HDR bug started, I was fascinated by it, and even though some it looked absolutely horrible, there were those pioneers that really did make some creations look fantastic.

Nowdays, I stay away from software based HDR, and hand layer my images at varying exposures. I find that I get a better look, and I can get much closer to my "vision", than using some software to do it for me.

Plus, I cannot stand "glowies".. {shudders}

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,810 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 12, 2019 04:32 as a reply to  @ txsizzler's post |  #7

I'm with you.

I suppose "glowing" was okay if your images lacked resolution! I fought it tooth and nail.

Martin

sponsored links

136 views & 4 likes for this thread
Remember Painerly and Gringe?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.