Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 01 Feb 2019 (Friday) 11:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MK IV card options and configuration - Sandisk vs Lexar - SD vs CF

dbrodsky
34 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2019 11:09 |  #1

All,

I just made the jump from 6D to 5D MK IV, so now have the option of CF in addition to SD, and am just looking for some input on the card options.

1. How is everyone using the 2 slots? One for RAW, the other for JPEG, both for RAW simultaneously, one at a time for extra storage, etc.
2. Which format do you view as more reliable and your primary go-to card, SD or CF, and do you prefer SanDisk or LEXAR. Any thoughts on cheaper brands like Transcend? I don't mind paying more for better but would like to pay less if it's all the same.
3. What speed is necessary to shoot without any buffering on the 5D at full burst rate? Would the Extreme card at 120MB/s be sufficient, or should I opt for ExtremePro? Again, don't mind paying extra if it's necessary, but don't want to throw money out the window. Are there other reason besides speed to go with the ExtremePro, such as added reliability/longevity?

Thanks so much for any input.

David

sponsored links
cristphoto
933 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited 12 days ago by cristphoto.

Feb 10, 2019 09:31 |  #2

I use the Lexar Professional 1066x UDMA 7 CF card. When shooting raw mode I get about 36 shots before the buffer fills. This beats the published specs by a good margin. For the SD slot I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 mb/sec uhs1 U3 card. Again this card gives the fastest performance the camera is capable of providing. I have the SD slot set to record jpeg. I only use either Lexar or Sandisk as these have both proven reliable over the years. I don’t take any chances with bargain cards that might cause problems - a false saving in my opinion.

5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,132 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 10, 2019 16:50 |  #3

I have no preference between SanDisk and Lexar, as I've used both with zero issues. Currently, I just use SanDisk Extreme Pro 160 MB/s CF card while leaving the SD card slot empty. I used to use both slots and choose which card to shoot from depending on my shooting situations, but I ditched this practice when it just became a hassle switching back and forth and often forgetting which card slot I'm shooting from.

The prices on these cards have come down quite a bit over the past few years, so I'd suggest getting the fastest card, either SanDisk or Lexar, you can. My 160 MB/s CF card is plenty for RAW burst shooting.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,407 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2019 16:59 |  #4

dbrodsky wrote in post #18802672 (external link)
1. How is everyone using the 2 slots? One for RAW, the other for JPEG, both for RAW simultaneously, one at a time for extra storage, etc.

Which ever best meets YOUR needs and requirements.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,854 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 10, 2019 20:53 |  #5

dbrodsky wrote in post #18802672 (external link)
All,

I just made the jump from 6D to 5D MK IV, so now have the option of CF in addition to SD, and am just looking for some input on the card options.

2. Which format do you view as more reliable and your primary go-to card, SD or CF, and do you prefer SanDisk or LEXAR. Any thoughts on cheaper brands like Transcend? I don't mind paying more for better but would like to pay less if it's all the same.
3. What speed is necessary to shoot without any buffering on the 5D at full burst rate? Would the Extreme card at 120MB/s be sufficient, or should I opt for ExtremePro? Again, don't mind paying extra if it's necessary, but don't want to throw money out the window. Are there other reason besides speed to go with the ExtremePro, such as added reliability/longevity?

Thanks so much for any input.

David

Although I've always used Sandisk Compact Flash cards so far, I've been using "Transcend 128 GB High Speed 10 UHS-3 Flash Memory Card 95/60 MB/s " cards for video for the past four years in four different 80D and 70D cameras. They've never given me a problem yet.

I would not have a problem making this card my next Compact Flash card purchase: Transcend 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card 1000x (TS32GCF1000)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,275 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 10 days ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Feb 11, 2019 16:33 |  #6

You can go to places like this one (and others) for speed tests of the 5DIV with various memory.

https://www.cameramemo​ryspeed.com …iv/sd-cf-card-speed-test/ (external link)

The best answer (once again) is "It depends!"

• You will see that highest performance is with some 1066X/160MBper-sec CF memory
  • But the fastest SD is the (overstated rated speed) 2000X/95MB per-sec SD memory
  • And some of the slower CF memory is just as slow as SD!

Generally speaking use CF for the larger files (RAW) while relegating SD for the smaller files (JPG).
Unfortunately this test illustrates how the memory manufacturers have been trying to shove SD down our throats for years (cheaper to make SD than CF) yet our cameras can better use the data throughput of the CF card! And that, in spite of apparent gains in SD performance, CF is still the speed king in practical terms.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ra40
620 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 11, 2019 18:22 |  #7

+1 with Wilt.

I'd used the Extreme Pro CF 160MB/s and the 95MB/s SDXC. The newish 170MB/s SDXC will be a nice match speaking more in terms of plugging the card into a reader for DL'ing into the computer. The CF Lexar 1066X Micron 128G version yielded a few more frames when machine gunning alone over the SanDisk. I'd configured for dual RAW write to both cards.

SanDisk customer service has been great for RMA's. I had one Lexar CF issue but this was the Lexar of old.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,275 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 11, 2019 18:39 |  #8

ra40 wrote in post #18809302 (external link)
I'd configured for dual RAW write to both cards.

I presume that you deliberately choose the benefit of data redundancy in writing RAW to both CF and SD, at the cost of throttling overall performance to the slower of the two media.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ra40
620 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 11, 2019 21:41 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #18809303 (external link)
I presume that you deliberately choose the benefit of data redundancy in writing RAW to both CF and SD, at the cost of throttling overall performance to the slower of the two media.

Yes. The high frame and write speeds were unnoticed for my shots. JPG to the SD slot may not have as significant speed penalty where RAW file sizes would on the buffer clearing. I didn't explore that.

That was a curiosity while convenient to have two different types of media capabilities, the slower write of the SD slot was :( for those needing speed. 2-CF or 2-SD instead makes sense to my non-engineering mindset.

A side note: The card may not go down often yet when it does, that can make for some not so pleasant concerns and more so with a single written source. I've traveled with single card slot cameras and this has been a non-issue. (Murphy's Law will strike me now no doubt. ;) ) Online we come to hear stories so having an unfortunate experience does raise an awareness for two recorded sources if the body supports that.

sponsored links

287 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MK IV card options and configuration - Sandisk vs Lexar - SD vs CF
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.