Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 29 Oct 2018 (Monday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade from 5D Mark II: 5D Mark IV or EOS R?

NemethR
866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 07, 2019 01:24 |  #76

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18805996 (external link)
I have not been hindered at all by the EOS R battery.

How many shots are you getting out of yours that it's a problem?

1800+ -ish.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 07, 2019 10:24 |  #77

NemethR wrote in post #18806391 (external link)
1800+ -ish.

Wow. But then if I use burst mode on my dinky XT1, I get 500-600 shots.:lol:

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 07, 2019 10:47 |  #78

I get about 500-700 on my 5D4 during a game per LP-E6. That is mixed reviewing of images and a few wireless transfers too.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 07, 2019 12:11 |  #79

NemethR wrote in post #18806391 (external link)
1800+ -ish.

That last time I shot a full day (4 models, 2.5h each) I shot ~1100 images. I used less than 2 batteries in the EOS R and wirelessly transferred the images to my laptop (using the camera battery) after each session.

Worth consideration; the 5Div weighs far more than the EOS R plus one extra LP-E6n...

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

NemethR
866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited 8 months ago by NemethR. (2 edits in all)

Feb 08, 2019 01:21 |  #80

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18806613 (external link)
That last time I shot a full day (4 models, 2.5h each) I shot ~1100 images. I used less than 2 batteries in the EOS R and wirelessly transferred the images to my laptop (using the camera battery) after each session.

Worth consideration; the 5Div weighs far more than the EOS R plus one extra LP-E6n...

Weight is a good thing in my opinion, you can grip the Camera much better, its less shaky in the hand.
At least I prefer a heavier Camera. (Obviously within reason.)

Mostly I shoot a Camera+grip+70-200 combo, so I am used to it, and makes no difference for me.
I did not purchase a grip for the Nikon D850, but after buying the 70-200, I feel the need for it now.
(The whole thing is a bit nose heavy, and a grip would balance it out.)

As to the batteries, I personally always preferred not to worry about switching memory cards, or switching batteries during a day of shooting.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Feb 08, 2019 01:45 |  #81

bobbyz wrote in post #18806343 (external link)
I am not arguing how good the 85L is, all of us who own that lens know that. Problem with 85L was slower AF even on 5dmk3 and canon 1 series of the time. Now if R has improved it, that's a good news. But would be nice to show in the review.

It could screw up a review.

If I had to watch Travis Harris review that was already an hour long, then have him post every 85mm shot he took and number them to prove how many keepers, the video length could wreck the point of the presentation.

He was practical to simplify his results into a few short sentences.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 8 months ago by bobbyz.

Feb 08, 2019 09:07 |  #82

mdvaden wrote in post #18806970 (external link)
It could screw up a review.

If I had to watch Travis Harris review that was already an hour long, then have him post every 85mm shot he took and number them to prove how many keepers, the video length could wreck the point of the presentation.

He was practical to simplify his results into a few short sentences.

Shows every one is different and takes same material differently. I am always weary of any reviewers which "go gaga" on all things a new product has to offer.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 16, 2019 12:55 |  #83

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18799152 (external link)
To qualify the post above - I currently own both the 5DIV and the EOS R. The 5DIV is my 3rd 5D series camera. I purchased the EOS R to replace my 5DIII because I had the opportunity to sell the 5D3 for nearly the same as it cost to buy the EOS R. I fully expected the EOS R to be my 'backup camera'. But, other than the rare time I need the features that the 5DIV excels at (written in the post above), I only use the EOS R. I earn my living with the EOS R.

Some quirks about the EOS R that you should know if you are deciding between it and the 5DIV:

The EOS R is the first Canon DSLR that has required me to re-learn the camera. I've shot the T1i, T2i, T3i, 50D, 6D, 5D2, 5D3, 5D4, and 1DXii. All of them were pretty much a progression with 'Cannon like' handling. At it's core, the EOS R is a Canon. But the learning curve was, for me, huge. For the first couple of weeks I owned the EOS R, I was very vocal in my dislike of the Touch and Drag AF. I did not like it. And I wished for a joystick. However, once I dialled in the AF settings, there was no turning back and I can now move the AF point faster and with more accuracy than the joystick on the 5D3, 5D4, or 1DXii. I needed to change three setting to get there though. I need only one portion of the touch screen active. I need 'relative' movement. And, I need the touch sensitivity to be at it's highest setting. Change any one of those settings and I yearn for my old AF system.

The same is true for the button layout. Out of the box, the controls feel clunky and buttons seem to be missing (they are!). but once I changed the functionality of half of the buttons - something unheard of before the EOS R - the camera became unbelievably intuitive, for me.

If you want a camera that looks feels and behave like you are used to, right out fo the box, choose the 5DIV - it is a stellar camera and I am grateful for all the time I've spent with it.

The EOS R needs time to get used to, to customize it, to learn it. But once you spend the time, you will see the improvements that Canon made throughout the entire shooting experience.

As always, the above is just my opinions, based on my (rather limited in scope) experiences.

You and I are completely on the same page… just saying

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 8 months ago by N2bnfunn.

Feb 17, 2019 15:42 |  #84

I would go EOS R mirrorless is the wave of the future. In fact I just sold my 5D III to upgrade to the EOS R

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 17, 2019 17:44 |  #85

Mirrored or mirrorless, it doesn't affect your results either way.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 17, 2019 19:29 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #86

Nonsense. There are situations where the 5DIV is better, and the chances of a better shot are increased. And there are other situations where the EOS R is better. This thread has done a wonderful job of helping people decide which one is best for them, or better for a particular scenario.

Camera choice matters. And right now, it’s a very difficult choice. For most people, the right choice is a compromise.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 18, 2019 05:48 as a reply to  @ SereneSpeed's post |  #87

What has been shown is that the lens matters, not anything that "mirrorless" produced that a DSLR couldn't. Pop an EF lens on both, and mirror or no mirror, it doesn't matter.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 18, 2019 06:01 |  #88

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18813457 (external link)
What has been shown is that the lens matters, not anything that "mirrorless" produced that a DSLR couldn't. Pop an EF lens on both, and mirror or no mirror, it doesn't matter.

... except for the microlenses. Allegedly, they are different for the R series and its lenses, so that may make some small differences at very low f-ratios. Of course, microlenses (ad AA filters) can vary across DSLRs, too.

Otherwise, the optical chain is no different than live view on a DSLR.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,014 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 8 months ago by mystik610. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2019 06:02 |  #89

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18813457 (external link)

But as all photographers know, there's a lot more to photography than just the final result though....there's a technique involved with getting that shot: the compositional process.

And mirrorless cameras do bring distinct advantages to the compositional process to the table.. i.e. eye-AF for portraiture, greater critical focus accuracy with fast glass, evf eliminates the need to gimp, etc etc etc

The point about greater critical focus accuracy with fast glass does mean that fast aperture EF glass with actually perform better on mirrorless bodies. You aren't throwing shots out because the AF system missed its mark because of microfocus calibration issues anymore. Such an issue does not exist when the AF system is built into the actual image sensor.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2019 06:08 as a reply to  @ mystik610's post |  #90

Not Canon's eye AF.... ;)

And for the point about critical focus, just shoot the DSLR in live view with DPAF.... We seem to keep forgetting that every DPAF DSLR has a mirrorless mode.

Going back to the OP, the only single advantage I can see with mirrorless would be AF at f11. I am not sure Canon allows that on the DSLR, and certainly not in the OVF. If we concentrate our comments to the first post, what other advantages minus lens does the R give over the IV?

sponsored links

14,398 views & 95 likes for this thread
Upgrade from 5D Mark II: 5D Mark IV or EOS R?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.