Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Feb 2019 (Wednesday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS RP is out! Official!

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,542 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by MakisM1.

Feb 18, 2019 13:21 |  #256

I have no horse in this race. I am getting annoyed seeing all these characters who left Canon with fanfare, pomp and circumstance, coming back to piss on Canon's offerings. I was just as annoyed as when people were pissing on the 60D (the Super-Rebel, the plastic fantastic) and its flippy screen, for no reason whatsoever... (no one knew how the plastic would behave, be inferior to magnesium alloy, etc. Canon made an about face to satisfy the naysayers, wrongly in my opinion). I also remember people trashing the 6D... It has taken its position in the Canon lineup with distinction I would say.

I don't expect the Sony owners to come to Jesus, even if the Canon RC could take pictures all by itself and sell them to the cloud for four figures... They would lose the distinction of having spit at the face of Canon and endlessly bragged about it. I wouldn't mind though if they stayed in their forum and brag there...

Coming to your comment AlanU, my opinion (based on no facts) is that Canon is ready to go on a 'pro' camera, awaiting only for the Digic chip that can make all the speedy features of the pro camera possible.

Digic 4 (2008) -->Digic 5 (2011) -->Digic 6 (2013) --> Digic 7 (2016) --> Digic 8 (2018) EOS R and EOS 50 use Digic 8.

So, clearly there is a 2.5 year cycle between Digics. Is there a 2019 Digic 8+ (or maybe 2) to power a EOS 1R? Even taking a three year cycle it would take us to 2021 for a Digic 9.

Bottom line, late 2019 or 2020 something is gonna happen. For the Olympics they might concentrate on a couple of monster teles...

As I said, no horse in this race... I am waiting for the right 4/3 camera to switch system. Canon is great, but I need a Sherpa in my old age... :D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,582 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2019 13:57 |  #257

All I've learned from pages of discussion on currency exchange, is that there are people that will bend numbers, alter logic, ignore data, and generally do any kind of flips and twists until the bitter end just to defend their initial incorrect statement, rather than simply admit they miscalculated the math. It explains a lot about the sort of endless debates we often see. If there is no reasoning, then there is no reasoning, ad infinitum.

My mistake was to engage, for that I offer my sincere apologies to the thread.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

guyzer09
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 18, 2019 14:33 |  #258

This is great. I can’t believe I went through 18 pages of complaint and comparisons of a camera that no one has actually held in their hands yet. Am I the only one coming from “outdated technology” that is actually excited for this camera? Yep still shoot and own 2 original 5d’s and I’ve never felt the need to have to upgrade to the newest body because they function so well for what I shoot and the files are tiny compared to what we have today. I’ve thought about going Mirrorless for some time not for video because I’ve got a phone for those that works just fine but for the EVF. At $1300 This makes transitioning to the future of Mirrorless easier to swallow than purchasing the R.

Capturing life's moments one one click at a time..
Full GEAR List

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,686 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 18, 2019 15:04 |  #259

guyzer09 wrote in post #18813766 (external link)
This is great. I can’t believe I went through 18 pages of complaint and comparisons of a camera that no one has actually held in their hands yet. Am I the only one coming from “outdated technology” that is actually excited for this camera? Yep still shoot and own 2 original 5d’s and I’ve never felt the need to have to upgrade to the newest body because they function so well for what I shoot and the files are tiny compared to what we have today. I’ve thought about going Mirrorless for some time not for video because I’ve got a phone for those that works just fine but for the EVF. At $1300 This makes transitioning to the future of Mirrorless easier to swallow than purchasing the R.

When was the last time you used a camera with a 250 shot capacity rating?

prepare to be shocked, the 5D batteries will feel like they last an eternity comparatively. You dont need your hands on the camera to figure that out.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,469 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 18, 2019 15:18 |  #260

Charlie wrote in post #18813776 (external link)

prepare to be shocked, the 5D batteries will feel like they last an eternity comparatively. You dont need your hands on the camera to figure that out.

What are YOU photographing whereby you need a capacity greater than 250? If the camera doesn't meet YOUR needs and requirements then don't buy it.

If you are shooing action such as sports then the RP is probably NOT the camera to buy. If you are photographing landscapes then I think it is a great camera.

The shooting capacity is relative to shooting needs and requirements.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,686 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 18, 2019 15:30 |  #261

john crossley wrote in post #18813787 (external link)
What are YOU photographing whereby you need a capacity greater than 250? If the camera doesn't meet YOUR needs and requirements then don't buy it.

If you are shooing action such as sports then the RP is probably NOT the camera to buy. If you are photographing landscapes then I think it is a great camera.

The shooting capacity is relative to shooting needs and requirements.

I shoot family, travel, and landscapes, even 250 is stretching it thin once you consider bracketing shots. You can forget about timelapses, another branch of landscapes.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

guyzer09
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by guyzer09.

Feb 18, 2019 16:21 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #262

Sweet!! So you’re telling me that you got 250 shots while out shooting with your new EOS RP?? Did you get your hands on one before anyone in the public?? I’ve never cared enough to worry about what the battery capacity rating is but I have shot with a cameras that only allowed for 24 shots per roll and the beauty about that is that you can always put another roll in to get 24 more shots. Same goes for the capacity of this battery. The beauty is they can be recharged and you can always put another one in and continue. I’ve stated why I am excited for this for the evf and transition to Mirrorless not having to spend a ton of money for features I wouldn’t find beneficial to me.

Capturing life's moments one one click at a time..
Full GEAR List

elitejp
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 18, 2019 16:39 |  #263

MakisM1 wrote in post #18813688 (external link)
I have no horse in this race. I am getting annoyed seeing all these characters who left Canon with fanfare, pomp and circumstance, coming back to piss on Canon's offerings.

I don't expect the Sony owners to come to Jesus, even if the Canon RC could take pictures all by itself and sell them to the cloud for four figures... They would lose the distinction of having spit at the face of Canon and endlessly bragged about it. I wouldn't mind though if they stayed in their forum and brag there..

I totally disagree.
Normally most people just discuss. You do have a few who own whatever brand that will defend that camera to death and those people are easy to spot. You see it from the canon people just the same.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,595 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 18, 2019 16:44 |  #264

I find it odd that they give you a grip with the only purpose to make the camera larger. Isn't one of the main draws to mirrorless the smaller size and less bulk?

One question about the sensor, I've been reading the RP is basically a 6d2 while the R is a 5d4? Is that confirmed?

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,582 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 18, 2019 16:47 |  #265

Tommydigi wrote in post #18813862 (external link)
I find it odd that they give you a grip with the only purpose to make the camera larger. Isn't one of the main draws to mirrorless the smaller size and less bulk?

One question about the sensor, I've been reading the RP is basically a 6d2 while the R is a 5d4? Is that confirmed?

Canon will never say it, so I don't know how it can be confirmed. for whatever reason the images from the EOS-R measure slightly differently than those from the 5D4 in one regard, (more banding on the R at high ISOs) despite the fact that all else appears to be equal.

No one has an RP in hand yet, so I'll be curious if the same thing happens with the "6D2 sensor" in a Mirrorless.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Cuttlefish
257 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by Cuttlefish. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2019 16:48 |  #266

Charlie wrote in post #18813799 (external link)
I shoot family, travel, and landscapes, even 250 is stretching it thin once you consider bracketing shots. You can forget about timelapses, another branch of landscapes.

I think it is not too difficult to change a battery.
I am an amateur and very seldom shoot more than 250 shots a day and, if I did, changing a battery is not that much of a problem.
I am looking forward to getting this camera as I have been using a 7D for many years and have not bought any EF-S lenses since I got the kit.
Even the EOS-R was too expensive for me with a young family and it seems a good time to get into mirrorless FF at this price.

7D & 450D | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon 24-105L | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Manfrotto 055XPROB & 804RC2 | SpeedLite 430EX II & 2 x YN560 II. Bowens Gemini 500R Studio lighting kit

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,595 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 18, 2019 16:56 |  #267

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18813866 (external link)
Canon will never say it, so I don't know how it can be confirmed. for whatever reason the images from the EOS-R measure slightly differently than those from the 5D4 in one regard, (more banding on the R at high ISOs) despite the fact that all else appears to be equal.

No one has an RP in hand yet, so I'll be curious if the same thing happens with the "6D2 sensor" in a Mirrorless.

I don't know that much about the 6d2 but what is the big issue? I only heard that the dynamic range was not so great?

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Ballen ­ Photo
19,997 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Feb 18, 2019 16:58 |  #268

Tommydigi wrote in post #18813862 (external link)

Haha, You said what I was thinking. ;-)a

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

davinci953
271 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 18, 2019 17:09 |  #269

Charlie wrote in post #18813799 (external link)

Jared Polin in his preview of the RP reported getting closer to 500 frames (stills only). He also indicated that his videographer went through 3 batteries over a 5-6 hour period shooting only video. I suppose the battery life will depend on other factors as well such as using wifi. For timelapse, it's probably necessary to use an external power source.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,739 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 18, 2019 17:12 |  #270

Charlie wrote in post #18813776 (external link)

Just like the LPE6 lasting longer than the documented Canon life by 2 or 3x, I fully suspect that the SL2 battery will last longer than what is being documented by Canon, but not as much. The battery is very small, and probably has about 30% less capacity than the LPE6. I suspect the RP will last about 400 or so shots with normal shooting and average chimping.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

22,846 views & 275 likes for this thread
Canon EOS RP is out! Official!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.