Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by Pondrader.

Feb 20, 2019 18:04 |  #3061

Shortaction wrote in post #18815323 (external link)
I was checking out an EOS R yesterday at a camera store and I didn't have a lot of time. I was wondering is the circle in the centre of the EVF always there or is there someway to turn it off. I found it very distracting.

I didn't notice until I got home and looked at the photos on my computer that it was set to a low res jpeg (6MB), but the pictures where crystal clear! Quite impressed!

And yes the I enjoy the sharpness and clarity of the EOS R as well …

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by Pondrader. (3 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2019 18:28 as a reply to  @ post 18815341 |  #3062

I'm terrible for not being level, so I need the level and the grid lines. I do use the histogram and meter continuously. I use the Fn button next to the main wheel to change ISO right in the EVF without moving the camera from the target… its very fast this way.. Fn button... roll wheel… shoot… Aperture is under your thumb plus shutter under your index finger… what could be easier…

Thumb and index finger run the entire camera. Af point is moved on screen ( top right ) as bottom right would be a hand big enough to sit in  :p

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 20, 2019 18:46 |  #3063

A little 1080p action…. make sure to turn up the speed

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 20, 2019 19:26 |  #3064

Shortaction wrote in post #18815368 (external link)
So the main wheel in its static state rolls to adjust shutter and if you press the Fn button it then switches to adjusting the ISO? I was using the control ring on the adapter in the store to adjust the ISO and I found it a little awkward, but I could get used to it. I was also using the bottom right corner for AF point and it was a bit of reach!lol Next time I'm in the big city I'll have to give it another whirl. The quality of the images are addictive to say the least! I've been getting a lot of slightly soft images of my present bodies, not bad but just a smidge. I haven't been at this photography thing very long, just over a year, it was starting to make me question my shooting skills and I was trying to use a tripod more and more but I was getting the similar results. So these results where welcome to my state of mind!!

Yes exactly… The control ring is harder to use the bigger the lens I found. Using the R... I don't miss the roller coaster AF or the Dsl phase detect.

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2019 19:42 |  #3065

At least this is how I do it… I'm sure there are many ways to setup your R… every button and dial is programable to do your bidding..

I tend to shoot critters with fur..

People thought I was nuts thinking an R could get it done…  :p:oops:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,496 posts
Gallery: 453 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 20, 2019 20:08 |  #3066

Pondrader wrote in post #18815345 (external link)
I'm terrible for not being level, so I need the level and the grid lines. I do use the histogram and meter continuously. I use the Fn button next to the main wheel to change ISO right in the EVF without moving the camera from the target… its very fast this way.. Fn button... roll wheel… shoot… Aperture is under your thumb plus shutter under your index finger… what could be easier…

Thumb and index finger run the entire camera. Af point is moved on screen ( top right ) as bottom right would be a hand big enough to sit in  :p
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=188​15345&i=i177241884
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I use the level and grid lines too, and when on a tripod, toggle them off for precise composition. Wish there was a 4X5 grid. I also use your method for ISO. Entire right side for AF point selection.

Aperture is always on the front dial and shutter speed on the rear. The direction is always set to go right to increase exposure. So to move the histogram to the right you turn the dials to the right. Makes perfect sense to me.

The control ring is for EC on the rare occasion I use Av or Tv. The MFn bar is disabled except for playback. Wish it didn't wake up the camera. * is for DoF preview.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 20, 2019 20:18 |  #3067

C Scott IV wrote in post #18815397 (external link)
I use the level and grid lines too, and when on a tripod, toggle them off for precise composition. Wish there was a 4X5 grid. I also use your method for ISO. Entire right side for AF point selection.

Aperture is always on the front dial and shutter speed on the rear. The direction is always set to go right to increase exposure. So to move the histogram to the right you turn the dials to the right. Makes perfect sense to me.

The control ring is for EC on the rare occasion I use Av or Tv. The MFn bar is disabled except for playback. Wish it didn't wake up the camera. * is for DoF preview.

Yes I'm not using the bar either..set to off at the moment.. When RF lens is mounted the ring is also EC.. I love that we can decide how things layout..

flickr (external link)

white ­ venom
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 20, 2019 22:32 |  #3068

I bit the bullet and purchased an R today, from my previous post about a “pro” body I was mainly meaning that I didn’t want to buy the R and next month they realeased a mark II with a bunch of new features. This body is well built and I don’t see any flaws other than one card slot but knock on wood I’ve never had a card failure so I’m not too worried about that. My hopes are that they add the eye focus in servo mode and the ability to grab the eye further away than a few feet.
On a side note I purchased it from Best Buy where they matched Office Depot’s price of $2070 and they still gave me the lens adapter for free with the body.

Gear List~Website (external link)~Facebook (external link)~500px (external link)~flickr (external link)
Feedback-1 2345

bbqkid8
297 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 20, 2019 22:34 |  #3069

white venom wrote in post #18815457 (external link)
I bit the bullet and purchased an R today, from my previous post about a “pro” body I was mainly meaning that I didn’t want to buy the R and next month they realeased a mark II with a bunch of new features. This body is well built and I don’t see any flaws other than one card slot but knock on wood I’ve never had a card failure so I’m not too worried about that. My hopes are that they add the eye focus in servo mode and the ability to grab the eye further away than a few feet.
On a side note I purchased it from Best Buy where they matched Office Depot’s price of $2070 and they still gave me the lens adapter for free with the body.

Congratulations on the purchase! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Coderunner
275 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 21, 2019 08:12 |  #3070

Red-bellied Woodpecker

HOSTED PHOTO

Blue Jay

HOSTED PHOTO

1D X Mark II,5D Mark IV,EOS R & too many lens
http://www.sthornhill.​com (external link)

Cassie
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 21, 2019 10:20 |  #3071

wow, those look awesome coderunner:love:

http://thompson-photo.smugmug.com/ (external link)
https://instagram.com/​vegaquarium (external link)
5D MK IV
35 F/2 IS*Shorty-Forty*50L*85L II*135L :D
430 EX II

N2bnfunn
690 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 21, 2019 12:12 |  #3072

Well tomorrow I will have mine.. Like the Jet's linebacker (Bart Scott) once said: CAN'T WAIT!!

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

mhickman
245 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 21, 2019 18:34 |  #3073

Shortaction wrote in post #18815970 (external link)
Anyone using a Sigma Contemporary 150-600mm on the "R"?

I borrowed one from a friend to test it. I can’t find the photos in Lr mobile, but I only too a few to test it so nothing really worth posting.

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC • Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

mhickman
245 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 21, 2019 19:22 |  #3074

Shortaction wrote in post #18816052 (external link)
How did it perform? Where you happy with the clarity?

It wasn’t bad, but I was handheld, so a lot of blurred photos. The ones that came out at 600mm were good.

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC • Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

JoelBosco
82 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 21, 2019 20:09 |  #3075

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18815332 (external link)
Green = in focus while in single shot
Blue = in focus while in servo
Red = nothing is in focus

Thanks! It makes sense now.

Joel Bosco
Canon EOS R, RF 35mm F1.8 MACRO IS STM, RF 24-105 F4L IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8, EF 70-200 1:4 L IS USM, EF-S 10-18mm

sponsored links

480,075 views & 10,155 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.