Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Feb 2019 (Friday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 150-600mm C Issues

birderman
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 22, 2019 08:11 |  #1

I have had a Sigma 150-600mm C for a shortwhile now, generally I am quite pleased with it however there are times when it is frustrating to us.

Quite often at the 600mm Zoom it struggles to focus (using with Canon EOS7DII and EOS550D) to the extent that it continually vibrates as it tries to find focus. Sometimes it will just turn focus to minimum and stop responding. Mostly this happens when focusing close to infinity and or in fair/shade light conditions.

I have also noticed that some photos taken at 600mm show 175mm in the EXIF.

Have I got a dud or are these issues common occurrence with this lens.

Should I return the lens for repair under warranty or do I have to live with these shortcomings.

TIA

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

sponsored links
iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 23, 2019 23:00 |  #2

I have that lens, but I don't have any issues. Might be best to exchange it if you can.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

jjackflash
"I MISSED THE STRIPPERS"
626 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 24, 2019 08:34 |  #3

Usage Notice for customers who are using EOS mount SIGMA lenses on CANON cameras]
When using the SIGMA lenses for CANON, “Peripheral illumination correction”, “Chromatic aberration correction”, “Diffraction correction” as well as “Distortion correction” from the “Lens aberration correction” function of the camera are not supported. Therefore, we recommend you to set them to “Disable”.
If those functions are set to “Enable”, the performance of the lenses may not be accurate.
For further information, please contact your nearest authorized SIGMA subsidiary / distributor.
http://www.sigma-global.com/en/about/wo​rld-network/ (external link)
We appreciate your continued support for our company and products.
Via: SigmaPhoto

Give it a shot...

http://jjackflash.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,548 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 24, 2019 08:50 |  #4

Have you also docked the lens and made sure it has the latest firmware?

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Gregsiem
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 24, 2019 11:45 |  #5

jjackflash wrote in post #18817629 (external link)
Usage Notice for customers who are using EOS mount SIGMA lenses on CANON cameras]
When using the SIGMA lenses for CANON, “Peripheral illumination correction”, “Chromatic aberration correction”, “Diffraction correction” as well as “Distortion correction” from the “Lens aberration correction” function of the camera are not supported. Therefore, we recommend you to set them to “Disable”.
If those functions are set to “Enable”, the performance of the lenses may not be accurate.
For further information, please contact your nearest authorized SIGMA subsidiary / distributor.

Give it a shot...

Thanks for posting this. I had never see. This before. Anything that can potentially improve focus is welcome. I have now applied this recommendation to my setup.

jjackflash
"I MISSED THE STRIPPERS"
626 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 24, 2019 12:12 |  #6

It worked for me

Andrew61
58 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 11 months ago by Andrew61.

Feb 24, 2019 12:50 as a reply to  @ jjackflash's post |  #7

I have the Sigma 50-100 Art lens and it "hunts" on auto focus once I get past around 80mm. I tried disabling the functions that you mentioned (I couldn't find "Diffraction correction) on my 7D ii. It didn't fix it completely but it seemed to have helped.
I also docked the lens without any improvement.
I bought the lens used, so the warranty is void.
Thanks for the heads up!

ejenner
Goldmember
3,810 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 24, 2019 19:59 |  #8

I had one, used it extensively with my 7DII.

I did not have this problem.

Now there are some settings I changed with the dock that were recommended, but it has been a while so I don't remember what they were. I think one was actually to make the focus more sensitive, not less.

I have/did not hear of this issue when I was following the sigma 150-600 thread either.

If you can live without your camera for a bit, I have heard many people say that they got much better results out of their lens/camera combination after sending to sigma. If you can stomach it and/or if that combination is your primary photography I would seriously consider it.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,517 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 25, 2019 17:33 |  #9

I’ve had this lens since it was introduced. It has been used extensively with my former 70D, and my current 7D2 and 6D2. Have not had the issue described on any body. I do have the dock, did not care for the out of the box focus/OS settings, and was much happier with it after I updated the focus to be more responsive, and the OS to the “dynamic” option.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Σ18-35 | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

birderman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by birderman.

Feb 26, 2019 07:33 |  #10

Give it a shot...

Do I need the DOCK to do this or are they Menu functions in the camera body ?

Birderman
London, UK

jjackflash
"I MISSED THE STRIPPERS"
626 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 26, 2019 07:55 |  #11

https://www.dummies.co​m …ion-on-your-canon-eos-6d/ (external link)

#3 its in the camera

birderman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 01, 2019 08:28 |  #12

Give it a shot...

Okay tried this - however, on my 7dII it shows as already disabled with the Sigma Lens connected but lens name /size isn't shown on the camera menu. I am not convinced this will solve the hunting issues . I am also of the opinion that these settings may only affect the JPEG files and NOT RAW after all the do not appear to be anything that one could correct physically without changing to a different lens. So I assume even if I did enable these they wouldn't affect the raw file apart from including metadata to enable the raw converter to apply the necessary corrections.

Birderman
London, UK

sponsored links

738 views & 3 likes for this thread
Sigma 150-600mm C Issues
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.