Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 8 months ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Feb 24, 2019 03:44 |  #3121

avondale87 wrote in post #18817551 (external link)
Thanks, again
Get's better by the minute (video):-)
Very impressive.
That joinery looks first class

I'd say congratulations for making such a fine piece.

Ended up having to make three. My son claimed the first one.. Took it to his house. The second for my wife…. Well guess what my Daughter said ??? .. :p:-D I think her's is going to be the best one lol

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,632 posts
Gallery: 477 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 8 months ago by C Scott IV.

Feb 24, 2019 08:17 |  #3122

white venom wrote in post #18817496 (external link)
I was looking to order the RRS L bracket, it looks like it will work ok with the rear lcd. What do you all think? http://www.reallyright​stuff.com/Canon-EOS-R-Order (external link)

This design is quite similar to the one that Jeff and I were discussing in the following posts. POST 18817092 POST 18817097 That design definitely limits screen movements.

The one in the following posts looks like it addresses the screen articulation issues. POST 18817086 POST 18817143 POST 18817155

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 24, 2019 10:56 |  #3123

I have literally read this entire thread over the last while (ok, there were segments I skimmed). I'm sure I annoyed some of you with the number of times I Liked some posts with pictures I liked.

Wifey and I are going to Hawai'i in a few days for a long weekend to recon the course of a race she's doing in December. I am lusting over the pics all of you have taken, and the size of the R would be a lot more convenient than my 5D3 and the quality much higher than my SL1. And it would let me play with the new-generation sensor and a tilty-flippy screen. And the wifi/BT uploads would be nice. And I've never done MFA so I'm sure my lenses are leaving something on the table.

My concern, really, is the interface. If I bought it today, would I be able to use it effectively on Friday? Realizing I'm far from expert as-is, so the bar for what I'd consider acceptable isn't that high. And I'm assuming I'd need to keep my 5D3 for sports shooting, but I don't want to wait and see what the next R is and I assume a more sports-oriented R would cost about what the Z7 does, which is more than I want to spend right now.

Anyone want to nudge me over the edge?  :p

Oh, and that upcoming RF 24-240 seems like just the ticket for a single lens travel kit for visiting the grand-in-laws in HK. I made the mistake of just taking my phone the first time.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,501 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by kf095.

Feb 24, 2019 11:02 |  #3124

Can't find it via search engines...
How is 50L EF on R? Anyone have tried it? Any AF issues?
I know this lens wasn't working well with inferior 5D MKII AF.

PS: Found the answer here:
http://www.stevehuffph​oto.com …-2-ef-rocks-on-the-eos-r/ (external link)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 24, 2019 11:09 |  #3125

Pondrader wrote in post #18817552 (external link)
Ended up having to make three. My son claimed the first one.. Took it to his house. The second for my wife…. Well guess what my Daughter said ??? .. :p:-D I think her's is going to be the best one lol

It's the same way with everything. I build computers for my family, and it tends to come in batches over a year or two every decade. The last ones built in a cycle are much better than the first. They're all much better than off-the-shelf though, as your tables clearly are.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 8 months ago by Pondrader.

Feb 24, 2019 11:53 |  #3126

LonelyBoy wrote in post #18817702 (external link)
It's the same way with everything. I build computers for my family, and it tends to come in batches over a year or two every decade. The last ones built in a cycle are much better than the first. They're all much better than off-the-shelf though, as your tables clearly are.

I hear ya LonelyBoy…

I would say if you can shoot a camera the EOS R will be so easy you'll wonder why you didn't switch back in October…

I can only tell you what I have found and you can take it and make the camera your own.

It has been frustrating mostly here on POTN…. outside of that the camera is very good. I am completely enjoying the experience with the R.

flickr (external link)

mhickman
281 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 24, 2019 12:09 |  #3127

It’s a Jeep thing.

Shot on Canon EOS R with Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art at 1/200 sec., f/2.5, ISO 800. Lighting is Flashpoint XPLOR 600 HSS (AD600) for model in Godox P90L with dual Flashpoint eVOLV 200 TTL Pocket Flashes (AD200) in AD-B2 bracket with green gel behind Jeep in 7” reflector.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,950 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 24, 2019 13:48 |  #3128

Just FYI, some long running threads you may not be aware of;

"The Knife Thread" https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18816563

"Post your Gun Shots here" https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18817413

Of course EOS R images belong here as well, for the knives I just wanted to point out the other options.

However, we do ask that images involving firearms go into the the thread linked above.
On an international forum where attitudes can vary dramatically from region to region, it is hard for the subject matter not to invite a political debate. (which will be systematically deleted per our rules)
When the thread above is used, no one will be surprised to find a subject matter that they would otherwise want to avoid or engage in debate about.

Thanks for understanding.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 8 months ago by umphotography.

Feb 24, 2019 14:24 |  #3129

OK so I got full size files today

The face detection works perfectly on this EOS R. It really is perfect for a studio camera where a dual card requirement for something LIKE A WEDDING IS NOT AS CRITICAL.

These are straight off files. Nothing done' Good glass used, Both shot with Canons 85mm 1.4

Facial found face very easily and on the window shot put focus on the forward eye area

so Yeah impressed with this for studio work. Slower movements and changing poses it works perfect

These are ready to go for Final editing. Impressed for a straight off file.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 24, 2019 14:27 |  #3130

another shot

you would really be splitting hairs if you said a Sony could do a better job with eye focus

we had 3-400 shots...all just like the 2 that are posted

Facial kicks Butt

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 24, 2019 14:30 |  #3131

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18817782 (external link)
Just FYI, some long running threads you may not be aware of;

"The Knife Thread" https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18816563

"Post your Gun Shots here" https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18817413

Of course EOS R images belong here as well, for the knives I just wanted to point out the other options.

However, we do ask that images involving firearms go into the the thread linked above.
On an international forum where attitudes can vary dramatically from region to region, it is hard for the subject matter not to invite a political debate. (which will be systematically deleted per our rules)
When the thread above is used, no one will be surprised to find a subject matter that they would otherwise want to avoid or engage in debate about.

Thanks for understanding.

They make no sense to anyone in guns Jake So I'll just delete them...

flickr (external link)

justdmbobbo
42 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 24, 2019 14:44 |  #3132

white venom wrote in post #18815457 (external link)
On a side note I purchased it from Best Buy where they matched Office Depot’s price of $2070 and they still gave me the lens adapter for free with the body.

Really, REALLY, really want to thank you for posting this. I've been eyeing the R for a bit and was excited to see that Best Buy matched this Office Depot offer. I cruised over to my local BB yesterday and they honored the same! WOOOOOoooooo.

With the price difference, I just picked up an EF 50mm f/1.8 STM for $125 just to have something to play around with until I decide what glass to dive into first.

10 years ago or so, I owned a 5dMkII / 24-70 / 70-200 - but sold them all when I needed some cash. :-( Now I"m BACK IN BABY! Time to start at the bottom and work my way back up.

Seriously, thanks again for saving me $200 :-D

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,272 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 24, 2019 15:25 |  #3133

LonelyBoy wrote in post #18817698 (external link)
I have literally read this entire thread over the last while (ok, there were segments I skimmed). I'm sure I annoyed some of you with the number of times I Liked some posts with pictures I liked.

Wifey and I are going to Hawai'i in a few days for a long weekend to recon the course of a race she's doing in December. I am lusting over the pics all of you have taken, and the size of the R would be a lot more convenient than my 5D3 and the quality much higher than my SL1. And it would let me play with the new-generation sensor and a tilty-flippy screen. And the wifi/BT uploads would be nice. And I've never done MFA so I'm sure my lenses are leaving something on the table.

My concern, really, is the interface. If I bought it today, would I be able to use it effectively on Friday? Realizing I'm far from expert as-is, so the bar for what I'd consider acceptable isn't that high. And I'm assuming I'd need to keep my 5D3 for sports shooting, but I don't want to wait and see what the next R is and I assume a more sports-oriented R would cost about what the Z7 does, which is more than I want to spend right now.

Anyone want to nudge me over the edge?  :p

Oh, and that upcoming RF 24-240 seems like just the ticket for a single lens travel kit for visiting the grand-in-laws in HK. I made the mistake of just taking my phone the first time.

Yes.

Took me no more than 2 days to get the basics down, program buttons, etc. On top of that, you have what, 4-6 hour plane ride? Plenty of time to sort it all out and skim the manual after you’ve been playing with it.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited 8 months ago by LonelyBoy.

Feb 24, 2019 16:54 |  #3134

LoneRider wrote in post #18817844 (external link)
Yes.

Took me no more than 2 days to get the basics down, program buttons, etc. On top of that, you have what, 4-6 hour plane ride? Plenty of time to sort it all out and skim the manual after you’ve been playing with it.

Awesome. I just ordered it - MrsLonelyBoy (that name is rather outdated now) said "you know you're going to get it eventually, so just buy it now and enjoy it now". I love that girl. With my Amazon card I got 5% off and don't need to kick myself for missing the Office Depot sale, and it should be here Tuesday with a day to spare. Got the R body, 24-105 separately (in case I decide to just stick with the adapter until some other lenses come out), and the CR adapter.

Is there a particular SD card that's recommended?

And I wish it were only 4-6 hours; it'll be 8.5 from Dallas. And I'll be woozy from Valium. Maybe I should start looking at it online.

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,272 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 24, 2019 17:19 as a reply to  @ LonelyBoy's post |  #3135

I download all my manuals in PDF to my tablet.

As for SD cards, it is UHS-II compatible, I went with the Sony

https://www.amazon.com …id=pla-379742689851&psc=1 (external link)

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

sponsored links

795,943 views & 13,312 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.