Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Feb 2019 (Sunday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox battery pack with Yongnuo flash?

clarnibass
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 24, 2019 11:20 |  #1

Hi

I'm tried of changing and charging AA batteries for my Yongnuo flash and was suggested to get the Godox PB960 battery pack.

I went to the store which had the battery but didn't have a cable that would fit my Yongnuo flash, and they weren't sure if there is one.
This is the connection on the Yongnuo flash (it's a 560III). Maybe hard to see but the middle pin is a little longer than the others.

The battery is this one: http://www.godox.com …wer_Source_for_​Flash.html (external link)
On the bottom they show four types of cables and it looks like the Canon one (PB-Cx) might be the same?
It is also shown that I need a charger but it doesn't seem like it comes with it...? Is it a unique charger or a regular charger (which I might already have, or can buy at any electrical supply store)?

Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

sponsored links
pat.kane
690 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 24, 2019 21:00 |  #2

It's probably the same cable at Quantum Cable CZ as Godox and others adopted the Quantum plugs for both the battery packs and flashes. I have both Quantum and Godox (Flashpoint) battery packs and I can use the same cable for both to power Canon speedlites.

I have the CZ cables for sale on this site at https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18818039. Feel free to make an offer

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 24, 2019 22:34 as a reply to  @ pat.kane's post |  #3

Thanks. From photos it does look pretty similar to that connection (well, to how I imagine the other side would look).
The store had some Godox flashes and they all had a very different connection.
Your price is great, but I'm not in the USA and I can't wait for international shipping. The local store can order from Godox and get it in about a day or two. Also I have to check that it works so be able to return/replace at worst case that it doesn't.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 25, 2019 08:34 |  #4

i went here: http://flashhavoc.com/​yongnuo-yn-560-iii-review/ (external link)

which directed me here: http://flashhavoc.com …ttery-pack-td-381-review/ (external link)

which says in part:

Compatibility

For off camera use the Canon version of the Pixel pack doesn’t appear to be affected by radio triggers, TTL cord, or using the attached flash as a remote slave. I don’t think using radio triggers will be much of an issue with the Canon version.

Compatible Flash units for Canon – 580EXII, 580EX, 550EX, MR-14EX, MT-24EX
Also aftermarket flashes with a compatible battery socket like the YongNuoYn-560, 565, and Nissin Di866II

my 580EXII looks like yours and does have the longer center pin too. So any Canon compatible cord would work.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 25, 2019 10:30 |  #5

Thank you both!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 25, 2019 10:56 |  #6

Keep in mind that if it's like canon flashes you will still need batteries in the flash. The external pack only runs the light, the internal batteries provide power to the rest of the flash functions.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 25, 2019 11:02 |  #7

Wait what...? I mean, the flash is draining the (AA) batteries and I guess they would last a very long time this way, but they would still run out eventually... at some unpredictable moment... and the whole point of using this battery pack is to get rid of my pet peeve... AA batteries.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Feb 25, 2019 11:41 |  #8

Seems odd, but I think you will find it to be true of the YN flash.

With Canon there are some custom settings but they don't allow for using the flash without internal power

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1458806

I use the same godox batteries with their 360 flashes, and have the cord to connect to my 580EXII, but never use it because I really don't need high power, fast recycle out of my speedlight. If you need many, many pops, and high power, and fast recycle, an external pack probably makes sense. For less high demand I think just internals work fine.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,437 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 11 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 25, 2019 12:44 |  #9

clarnibass wrote in post #18818415 (external link)
Wait what...? I mean, the flash is draining the (AA) batteries and I guess they would last a very long time this way, but they would still run out eventually... at some unpredictable moment... and the whole point of using this battery pack is to get rid of my pet peeve... AA batteries.

Maybe time to get a Godox AD360 to plug into that battery pack of yours... ;)

It is annoying though isn't it? I've never really put this to the torture test to see how long the internal batteries last with the external pack, I know it's a lot more,. like orders of magnitude, but I agree it's an inconvenience.

To make matters worse, a few years back I decided that Godox pack you bought was the answer to all my prayers, gods gift to batter packs, It's that good and flexible.
Later I invested in the amazing li-ion powered Godox speedlights, and the AD200...

..... NEITHER of which come equipped with an external power jack!!! :( :(
Why?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

pat.kane
690 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 25, 2019 16:41 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #10

The Godox (Flashpoint) flash that DOESN'T have a Li-ion battery will support an external power pack, e.g., the one for Canon is TT685C.

It was a huge disappointment for the Li-ion version of the flash to have omitted this feature. I had sold my Canon speedlites on the hope the Li-ion battery would have a fast recycle and be close to what I got out of my Canon speedlites and Quantum Turbo pack. It didn't. Not even close.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by clarnibass. (2 edits in all)

Feb 25, 2019 23:25 |  #11

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18818434 (external link)
Seems odd, but I think you will find it to be true of the YN flash.

Probably... a little disappointing :(

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18818434 (external link)
If you need many, many pops, and high power, and fast recycle, an external pack probably makes sense.

I actually don't need very fast recycle times and not anywhere near the highest power (usually). Most of the time it's 1/64 to 1/4 and I have about 4 seconds between flashes, just in case for the setup to "relax", even though it's very rigid. But I do have hundreds if not thousands of flashes each sessions (large stacks of extreme macro) which is why the batteries drain so fast.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18818472 (external link)
Maybe time to get a Godox AD360 to plug into that battery pack of yours... ;)

Actually, I considered a couple of Godox strobes like the GS200II. That would solve all of those issues, but unfortunately cause a lot of other issues. The setup is really small, all of it on a small table, without much more space on it or around it. I'd have to find some way of getting the flashes in the correct height and distance, which could be tricky considering how powerful they are even on their lowest setting. The small flashes are on the table itself just next to the rail and I can just move them a few centimeters to make a significant difference if I need to. Without the set problems I would definitely use AC powered lights.

Changing to different small flashes like Godox is an option, but I would need at least two. I use two but must have a backup, I guess I could use the Yongnuo as an emergency backup if I have to.
Godox has so many models... not sure what is what.
I need manual only, no TTL or anything like that. That's why I went with the YN 560 ans saved a lot compared with a TTL model.

Does Godox have an equivalent? Basically a manual flash (or a non-manual flash that I can use manually, without any extra features I don't need that would only raise its cost), with built-in receiver (must have), that can use the PB-960 battery connected to it with a cable to work 100%, not requiring any other battery inside it? Does this exist? Maybe someone went through the Godox flash maze and already knows this?

Amazingly enough, unlike 99% of photography equipment, Godox flashes only cost about 10%-15% more here so I can actually buy them and use this week (the Yongnuo cost double here so ordered all from abroad).

Thank you!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 26, 2019 07:07 |  #12

You want these then if you want cheap manual flashes that can use the PB960.

https://www.adorama.co​m …2vH1aIDXxN9UaAq​D6EALw_wcB (external link)

You can then integrate other Godox strobes/flashes with this via R2 wireless should you need to.

You may still need AA batteries inside, but a good set of AA batteries should last a very, very long time if they are not used to power the strobe part of the flash and just the LCD/functions.

You may not find a flash that solely relies on the PB960 battery for ALL operations.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited 10 months ago by jlafferty.

Feb 26, 2019 08:02 |  #13

The only thing close to what you’re asking for is the AD360II/TTL. The manual versions are cheaper but do not have a built in receiver.

The next thing from there that you should look into would be the AD200, which is small, light, has an internal receiver, but uses an internal battery and not a pack.

Honestly at this point - even though I’ve had and still occasionally use the 360 II and love it - I’d go for AD200s for size, simplicity, and cleaner UI.

You will still need the dreaded AAs for your trigger though ;)

clarnibass wrote in post #18818826 (external link)
Does Godox have an equivalent? Basically a manual flash (or a non-manual flash that I can use manually, without any extra features I don't need that would only raise its cost), with built-in receiver (must have), that can use the PB-960 battery connected to it with a cable to work 100%, not requiring any other battery inside it? Does this exist? Maybe someone went through the Godox flash maze and already knows this?

Current Portfolio (external link)

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 26, 2019 10:36 |  #14

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18818939 (external link)
You may not find a flash that solely relies on the PB960 battery for ALL operations.

Seems that way unfortunately.

Re those cheap manual flashes, unless I change to the Godox wireless system for some other reason, that wouldn't change anything from the setup I have now. The only reason I would change system is to get rid of AA batteries :)

jlafferty wrote in post #18818956 (external link)
The only thing close to what you’re asking...

Thanks. I looked at those options.
The AD350II is significantly bigger, uses that dangling battery and costs (here) almost x2.5 of the V850II/V860II.
The AD200 is about twice the cost of the V860II, takes more space and seems a bit annoying to mount. The regular flashes just happen to be positioned perfect on that foot they come with.
The advantage of both is that they would give 500 and 900 full power flashes respectively, so around 4,000 and 7,200 for my setup at least (average for max power I use).

I think that if I decide to invest in a different system and really get rid of AA batteries, I'll either go for the V850II/V860II or AC strobes (e.g. GS200II) and change my setup to be able to work with them.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 26, 2019 10:59 as a reply to  @ clarnibass's post |  #15

Be aware that the godox wired strobes seem like great deals but often only have 5 stops power adjustment. If youre running 1/64th on a speedlight, you wont be able to (easily) get there with something that is more powerful and only does 1/16.

Hate to again be a bummer, but it might be that just updating your battery charger, batteries and storage might be the most simple and productive move. Simply buying a pile of battery holders made my life a lot easier.

sponsored links

1,032 views & 1 like for this thread
Godox battery pack with Yongnuo flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.