Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Feb 2019 (Sunday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox battery pack with Yongnuo flash?

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 26, 2019 11:28 |  #16

clarnibass wrote in post #18819031 (external link)
Thanks. I looked at those options.
The AD350II is significantly bigger, uses that dangling battery...

That “dangling battery” is the PB960 you started this thread about…

Current Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2019 11:35 |  #17

Yes, that battery is made of 2 parts, one is the battery and one is the control and power distribution head.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This can be used with AD360 and AD200 and a handful of other Godox products.

The charging port is on the lower pack (battery section, if memory serves me correctly) and is a DC barrel style plug. However if the store you are going to is legit, they will sell you the entire 4 part kit (charger plug, neck strap, top control unit and lower battery). If they are telling you that you just need the lower part of the battery, that is incorrect.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by clarnibass.

Feb 26, 2019 11:55 |  #18

jlafferty wrote in post #18819056 (external link)
That “dangling battery” is the PB960 you started this thread about…

I know :) and if I could buy it and just use my current flashes without AA batteries it would have been a small and much less annoying compromise... and exactly what I would do. If I eventually change the entire system to really eliminate AA batteries (except the trigger) then it's just another small annoyance in addition to the flash being bigger and costing x2.5 more than a flash that would do anything I need (e.g. V850II).

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18819058 (external link)
However if the store you are going to is legit, they will sell you the entire 4 part kit (charger plug, neck strap, top control unit and lower battery). If they are telling you that you just need the lower part of the battery, that is incorrect.

Yes they had either option, just that bottom part separately, or the entire kit. Doesn't matter, I decided not to go for it. Even though the AA batteries will drain very slowly it is not good enough to justify it. I rather just continue the same for now and replace the system if there is a next time.

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 26, 2019 12:06 |  #19

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18819043 (external link)
Be aware that the godox wired strobes seem like great deals but often only have 5 stops power adjustment. If youre running 1/64th on a speedlight, you wont be able to (easily) get there with something that is more powerful and only does 1/16.

Hate to again be a bummer, but it might be that just updating your battery charger, batteries and storage might be the most simple and productive move. Simply buying a pile of battery holders made my life a lot easier.

Thanks, yes I looked into this before. If I go with something like that I would need to change my setup to have the flashes positioned differently. That's why I was considering the GS200II. It's the lowest W and goes down to 1/32. I could also use a thicker diffusser or a few layers, that's not a problem. The flashes right now are just 10cm to 20cm far.

I have more battery holders than I need :)

Anyway I decided against that battery pack and next before the next project I'll decide what to do.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 10 months ago by ksbal.

Feb 26, 2019 12:29 |  #20

Ok, i'm throwing this out there, don't know if this will suit your needs or not.

Manual Flashpoint r2 LI-Ion (external link)

This is the lithium ion manual flash, controlled by this trigger:
On Camera Trigger (external link)

No, it doesn't have an external battery pack, but at the lower power settings it can fire rapidly and for a LOT of pops.
It will also HSS. Read the reviews and the description and see if that might fit your needs.

I have 2 and the only downside is their standby mode doesn't 'wake up' as well as I'd like, athough there maybe a setting I can change for that, I haven't investigated. Very solid flashes, like them better than the YN flash I had. I've dropped onto concrete and they still are ticking. 2 manual and 3 TTL along with some evolv and strobes, all controled by the same on camera trigger is awesome.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2019 14:10 |  #21

ROI has to be looked at though, and I will look just at the North America market when chugging the numbers.

For an outlay of $240 for a new flash and transmitter (and a backup battery that is ready to go should you deplete the main pack), when compared to a decent quality inexpensive set of AA batteries:

https://www.amazon.com …00MNV8E0C/ezvid​02-20?th=1 (external link)

$1.25 per change of 4 batteries, and assuming these provide about 2/3 the capacity of the rechargeable lithium pack, means that you would have to go through 128 sets of 4 AA batteries before breaking even with the purchase of this flash, extra battery, and transmitter, and that doesn't include AC costs over a year to charge the V960II packs.

If one uses the flash quite a bit through the course of a year, then this is probably a 1 to 1.5 year ROI to switch to something new over what they might have now with AA batteries. Just to put some numbers around this anyways! :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,437 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 26, 2019 14:45 |  #22

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18819058 (external link)
Yes, that battery is made of 2 parts, one is the battery and one is the control and power distribution head.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=188​19058&i=i154794839
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

This can be used with AD360 and AD200 and a handful of other Godox products.

...t.

Can it be used with AD200? How?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 26, 2019 18:32 |  #23

That is most likely an error on my part. I think I mixed up my TT685 with the AD200 with which I can use the pb960. :(

Jared5
244 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Feb 26, 2019 20:52 |  #24

clarnibass wrote in post #18817707 (external link)
Hi

I'm tried of changing and charging AA batteries for my Yongnuo flash and was suggested to get the Godox PB960 battery pack.

I went to the store which had the battery but didn't have a cable that would fit my Yongnuo flash, and they weren't sure if there is one.
This is the connection on the Yongnuo flash (it's a 560III). Maybe hard to see but the middle pin is a little longer than the others.

The battery is this one: http://www.godox.com …wer_Source_for_​Flash.html (external link)
On the bottom they show four types of cables and it looks like the Canon one (PB-Cx) might be the same?
It is also shown that I need a charger but it doesn't seem like it comes with it...? Is it a unique charger or a regular charger (which I might already have, or can buy at any electrical supply store)?

Thanks
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by clarnibass in
./showthread.php?p=188​17707&i=i62940917
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

-

If you need a battery pack for your Yongnuo flash, I have two Canon-compatible battery packs like this that are compatible with the Yongnuo YN685 (all camera versions):

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

https://www.adorama.co​m/gxppcb12ca.html (external link)

They've only been used twice and now that I'm shooting Godox they've been sitting in my closet. They work great with rechargeable batteries (one of them is loaded with 12 Eneloops right now) and they both come with the soft case to attach to a belt or light stand.

EOS R (x2) | 5D Mk4 (x2) | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D (x2) | 80D | 50D (x2) | 40D | EOS M (x4) |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 26, 2019 21:33 as a reply to  @ Jared5's post |  #25

The problem is that he doesn't want to use AA batteries AND an external battery pack. Even with that pack, won't the AA batteries still be needed?

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 26, 2019 22:59 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18819461 (external link)
The problem is that he doesn't want to use AA batteries AND an external battery pack. Even with that pack, won't the AA batteries still be needed?

I think so. From what I could understand, no matter what pack is used, I'd still need the AA batteries in the flash itself. Also, I'm pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong), this battery pack (in Jared5's post) and some others actually use AA batteries. So sure it uses 12 of them so should last about three times as long, but I still need to charge and replace the AA batteries. At least that's what I understand. I do have a lithium battery pack for something else that is made of cells but the person made it so I can just plug to device and plug to charger. No need to individually charge the cells.
Actually I don't even have enough batteries for this setup, which is about 44 (12x2 for the packs, 4x2 inside the flashes, 4x2 backup for when the packs finally drain, 2 for the trigger, 2 backup for the trigger).

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 26, 2019 23:32 |  #27

ksbal wrote in post #18819098 (external link)
Ok, i'm throwing this out there, don't know if this will suit your needs or not.

Manual Flashpoint r2 LI-Ion (external link)

This is the Godox V850II under a different name and one of the options I'm considering for a new setup if I have another similar project.

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 27, 2019 00:03 |  #28

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18819149 (external link)
ROI has to be looked at though, and I will look just at the North America market when chugging the numbers.

ROI is a lot more than that.
I was willing to invest $150 to get rid of AA batteries in the flashes for the last 1/2 or 1/3 of this project.
I use rechargeable batteries and not alkaline because I don't want to throw away so many batteries. I use the same 30 Eneloops for years with no issues.
I prefer to not use AA batteries because of the hassle and willing to pay more for that... depends how much more.
So it's not just about price per use based on cost in this case.
It would cost approx $450 to $650 to completely change my setup to not use AA batteries (depending on flashes vs. strobes). This is not worth it to me to finish this project, but is worth it for next time (all the stuff I wouldn't need anymore might return about $200).

Jared5
244 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Feb 27, 2019 07:14 |  #29

clarnibass wrote in post #18819508 (external link)
I think so. From what I could understand, no matter what pack is used, I'd still need the AA batteries in the flash itself. Also, I'm pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong), this battery pack (in Jared5's post) and some others actually use AA batteries. So sure it uses 12 of them so should last about three times as long, but I still need to charge and replace the AA batteries. At least that's what I understand. I do have a lithium battery pack for something else that is made of cells but the person made it so I can just plug to device and plug to charger. No need to individually charge the cells.
Actually I don't even have enough batteries for this setup, which is about 44 (12x2 for the packs, 4x2 inside the flashes, 4x2 backup for when the packs finally drain, 2 for the trigger, 2 backup for the trigger).

-

Yes, you do need to have batteries in the speedlite itself. Not sure about the Yongnuo unit, but most speedlites give you the option (in the Custom Functions menu) of choosing how the internal batteries will be used. You can have them only supply power to the logic system (can't remember the exact wording), or you can have them also supply power to the capacitor for an even faster recycle time. The internal batteries will last much longer if you don't have them contribute to the flash output and just leave that work to the external battery pack.

I already have twelve Eneloop batteries in one of the packs I'm selling but the other pack is empty because I sold the batteries along with some speedlites I sold a few months ago. I do have two battery chargers that charge 12 AA batteries each, but I don't use any of that anymore now that I switched to Godox. You're welcome to the chargers as well if you're interested. I also have a Canon brand external battery pack that is loaded with 8 AA rechargeable batteries, and two chargers that charge 8 AA batteries each. I had everything all set up for an AA battery speedlite system and used it all up until around August, now it's just sitting around in the way.

Triggers are the only exception for me. As far as triggers go, I never use 1.2V rechargeable batteries in my triggers because I've found them to be less reliable than 1.5V alkaline batteries. But for everything else I'm happy to use rechargeable batteries.

EOS R (x2) | 5D Mk4 (x2) | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D (x2) | 80D | 50D (x2) | 40D | EOS M (x4) |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS |

sponsored links

1,031 views & 1 like for this thread
Godox battery pack with Yongnuo flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.