Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 02, 2019 10:14 |  #3241

Lightly processed.

Hawai’i is very proud of their honey, and the hote has a little beehive behind this at one of their breakfast places. I don’t knownif the honey is actually feom the hive, unfortunately. You can see it a bit in the background of this shot, but the plexiglass reflections made pictures of the hive itself disappointing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 02, 2019 10:18 |  #3242

mhickman wrote in post #18821473 (external link)
It is the beautiful bird that gets caged. ~ Chinese Proverb

Model: Deanna
Gear: Canon EOS R, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 ART at 1/160 sec., f/2.2, ISO 160. AD600 in Godox P90L and dual AD200s in AD-B2 with 7" reflector, diffused.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mhickman in
./showthread.php?p=188​21473&i=i63641388
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Did you use facial recognition on this shot.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

mhickman
281 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 02, 2019 10:28 |  #3243

umphotography wrote in post #18821504 (external link)
Did you use facial recognition on this shot.

I guess I should start writing these things down. LOL! I'm not sure, but if I didn't it would've been single point because of the fencing.

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 02, 2019 10:53 |  #3244

DigitalTuned wrote in post #18821341 (external link)
Guys do you see the banding on this photo right side of the picture? Is this something that Canon will eventually fix? I purposely shot this underexposed by two stops then brought it back in post. Tony Northrup spoke about this when reviewing the R here
https://youtu.be/lmf9Y​vzj85o?t=328 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

I can see it slightly. Don’t wait up for a fix - it’s likely something about noise from the readout circuitry. As mentioned, it’s better than some older cameras, including my 5D3. Canon will say “expose properly”.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 02, 2019 10:54 |  #3245

mhickman wrote in post #18821508 (external link)
I guess I should start writing these things down. LOL! I'm not sure, but if I didn't it would've been single point because of the fencing.

Yeah- I would use single point spot on the 1Dx2 for this shot. So thats why I asked. If Facial im glad to see it missed the fence

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,269 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2019 11:02 |  #3246

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18821335 (external link)
We'll, that didn't take long. Not sure if this jas been posted elsewhere,if so, just ignore...
https://www.digitalcam​eraworld.com …or-canon-eos-r-and-eos-rp (external link)

They are “standard” Samyang lenses offered in a variety of mounts. Just a matter of making some adjustments after getting the mount dimensions and adjusting flange distance to allow focus on the sensor.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,269 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2019 11:15 |  #3247

Choderboy wrote in post #18821343 (external link)
Maybe it was the XP 10mm I was thinking about:

https://www.digitaltre​nds.com …g-rf-mount-lenses-coming/ (external link)
The Samyang XP 10mm f/3.5 will be available this spring. The lens is listed for 1,099 euros, which is roughly $1,250 in the U.S.

10mm full frame, (not fish-eye), reasonable to expect it will be higher than average price.

Wow, if they are expecting that price they really need to improve their consistency or I think the sales will disappoint. Too many folks have had issues with getting “bad copies” and having to try two or three times for a Samyang/Rokinon/etc lens that is even across the frame.

Even without issues, not sure I would pay that price for such a wide prime and MF when you can get the EF 11-24mm F4 for another $1000 or so. On my 11-24mm I spend most of my time at 14 or more. 11 is great, when needed, just not used that much.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,981 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Choderboy. (2 edits in all)

Mar 02, 2019 11:36 |  #3248

LoneRider wrote in post #18821523 (external link)
They are “standard” Samyang lenses offered in a variety of mounts. Just a matter of making some adjustments after getting the mount dimensions and adjusting flange distance to allow focus on the sensor.

We don't know what they are yet.

There are currently 3 versions of the 14mm.

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens
14 Elements in 10 Groups including 2 aspherical and 2 extra-low dispersion element
530g ~ 552g

Samyang 14mm F2.8 AF UMC II
14 elements in 10 groups, including 3 aspherical elements and 2 extra-low dispersion elements
505g

Samyang 14mm f/2.4 XP Premium
18 lens elements arranged in 14 groups
2 aspherical + 1 hybrid aspherical + 2 extra-low dispersion + 3 high refractive lens + Ultra Multi Coating
791g

The MF 14mm f/2.8 RF weighs 800 grams.

EDIT: The RF: 14 Elements in 10 Groups (ASP 1, H-ASP 1, ED 2, HR 3). It is different from all 3 existing 14mm lenses.

Dave
Image editing OK

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,746 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 02, 2019 13:01 |  #3249

Choderboy wrote in post #18821350 (external link)
I don't think "fix" is a reasonable term. Fix implies a fault. Don't under expose and you won't see it. Underexpose and some banding may be visible.
The same shot and exposure with an older body would look worse, eg 5DII or 1DS2. A 5DIV will do better.

LonelyBoy wrote in post #18821516 (external link)
I can see it slightly. Don’t wait up for a fix - it’s likely something about noise from the readout circuitry. As mentioned, it’s better than some older cameras, including my 5D3. Canon will say “expose properly”.

I totally agree with both. I did so this on purpose after i watched Tonys video. The only difference i see when i compared to my 5dmk2 and 5dmk3 is that the R has this distinct pattern of horizontal banding which is stronger banding lines in certain parts of the image. The other two cameras just looks like color noise consistent all over the image. Again, its not like i am trying to expose my image 2-3 or even 4 stops underexposed to then complain about how my screwed up shot looks awful after trying to fix. It was more of an experiment

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 7 months ago by Pondrader.

Mar 02, 2019 13:14 |  #3250

DigitalTuned wrote in post #18821586 (external link)
I totally agree with both. I did so this on purpose after i watched Tonys video. The only difference i see when i compared to my 5dmk2 and 5dmk3 is that the R has this distinct pattern of horizontal banding which is stronger banding lines in certain parts of the image. The other two cameras just looks like color noise consistent all over the image. Again, its not like i am trying to expose my image 2-3 or even 4 stops underexposed to then complain about how my screwed up shot looks awful after trying to fix. It was more of an experiment

Where is it you think you see banding…. I only see reflections… trying to see it manipulating it in lightroom… ?? Where do you see banding…

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

DigitalTuned
4,746 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 02, 2019 13:40 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #3251

Look here I will share some better examples with all my 4 cameras later on tonight ..

IMAGE: http://i67.tinypic.com/fxfays.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

DigitalTuned
4,746 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 02, 2019 13:49 |  #3252

This is more in the lines of what im seeing.. Now this person is claiming it was a firmware update that caused this. I did update my camera but i didn't check this on the old firmware either

https://photographylif​e.com …firmware-to-version-1-1-0 (external link)

Again id rather stick to correct exposure or like me who tends to underexpose 1 stop depending on the situation Not having a issue on either of my Dslrs. i was really pushing the file here

Isaac
Abraham Lincoln

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,875 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2019 13:50 |  #3253

One could try RAW Therapee as it has a banding noise filter option, which might do the trick. Raw Therapee is slow, especially with looking at directories, last I used it, so it is a good idea to just put the files you want to process with it in a small folder.

ElTigreBlanco
564 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 02, 2019 15:15 |  #3254

I haven't noticed the banding like some have, I've even been pushing my files more with the R than I ever did with my dslrs. I've pulled up shadows from what looked like pure blacks and still I don't think I've seen it. I'm sure it's there but less noticeable because I'm not shooting many flat surfaces. I disagree that banding isn't a legitimate issue for some, it's not a deciding factor for me but there are plenty of times when I intentionally expose a scene knowing that I will pull shadows up a couple stops or more in post. Here's one example before and after:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

avondale87
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2019 15:35 |  #3255

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18821448 (external link)
Interesting. I have owned a bunch of Canon PnS cameras along the way, and none of them ever had IBIS. I wasn't even aware that it was "a thing" until the last couple of years, and I claim to keep up with the major players in the industry fairly well. What were some of the cameras you grew up shooting with IBIS? I started out with an AE-1 back in the 70s, and nothing I have ever owned owned has had IBIS.

Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Canon G12
Canon S95 (wife's)
These claimed Optical Image Stabilizer
As these cameras are lens and body combined I took that stabilisation to be what is referred to as IBIS. Don't think that term existed in those days.
An early Olympus of some sort. Think that was stabilised.

Richard

sponsored links

792,424 views & 13,235 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.