Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2019 (Sunday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS RP shooters unite! Post photos and discuss.

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,069 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Timphoto.

Feb 24, 2019 19:56 |  #1

The RP will be out in a few days, but some San Francisco Bay Area shooters were able to take production RP's out on the street yesterday.

What better way to start this thread with a pair of RP shooters? Shot with the Canon RP and the RF-35 f/1.8 lens.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tim

sponsored links
Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,176 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 24, 2019 20:32 |  #2

And your thoughts on this body? Does it seem Rebel cheap? Those new lenses are fantastic.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Timphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,069 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 24, 2019 23:49 |  #3

Chet wrote in post #18818020 (external link)
And your thoughts on this body? Does it seem Rebel cheap? Those new lenses are fantastic.

Chet, it does not feel cheap at all. It's solid and well built like the 5D series, just smaller. After the "R" was out and I first heard that the next Canon mirrorless body would be a smaller less expensive version, my reaction was rather negative. I've changed my view. The RF-35 that I was shooting is their lowest cost RF lens, but it felt solid and anything but cheap.

The RF 50 is drool worthy. Makes my 50L look like a Nifty Fifty. ;-)a

If you have larger hands you will want the definitely want the Canon Extension Grip.

The EVF is decent and the focus peaking is excellent especially for Manual Focus shooters. Getting the hang of using the touch screen in lieu of a joystick to move the AF point was a challenge at first, but I adapted.

The flip-out touch screen is great. The demo of the Macro Focus Stacking feature was impressive. No macro rail required, although you do have to use Canon's DPP software to stack the images.

For $1300 with the free EF-R adapter and the Extension Grip, what's not to like?

There may be a pattern,

First the "R" with a modified 5DMark IV sensor.

Then the "RP" with a modified 6DII sensor.

The Canon rep made a point about tooling costs and savings by using modified existing sensors, so...In the future the "R-Pro" (?) with a modified 5Ds sensor?

Sounds good to me, but what do I know? :-)

My lasting impression of the RP is that it is a well built camera that is fun to shoot. With the RF-35 lens, I'm certain it will be popular with the street shooters.

Tim

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,654 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 25, 2019 02:01 as a reply to  @ Timphoto's post |  #4

The one thing that made me angry about this post is the (free) EF to R adaptor comment.. Damn you Canon, DAMN YOU!!!!vmad I could have put that 100 beans towards the R's grip.... Bastids:-x

Congrats on the new camera:-)

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,978 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 25, 2019 16:34 |  #5

Timphoto wrote in post #18818158 (external link)
The Canon rep made a point about tooling costs and savings by using modified existing sensors, so...In the future the "R-Pro" (?) with a modified 5Ds sensor?

The nice images in the OP and your comments about the build are basically what I expected after watching Jaren Polin's review.

Regarding the future, and owning the 5DS, resolution that high would not streamline the more important things the average buyer would want, like 2 cards, more frames per second, etc. In fact, very little need change for a pro version. That's probably why I see the simplicity of the EOS RP being a good start. Even though it's minus several features some people squabble about, for good photography its ready right out the gate.

I think Polin may have covered it already, but the feedback I find most valuable, is does this EOS RP function with adapted EF glass as superbly as the first EOS R. Did you have a chance to adapt much EF glass, and how did that work for you.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Timphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,069 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 25, 2019 18:15 |  #6

mdvaden wrote in post #18818637 (external link)
Did you have a chance to adapt much EF glass, and how did that work for you.

I took my 50L along to compare it to the RF-50, but unfortunately the RF-50 was in high demand and I didn't get a chance to compare it. I did shoot my 50L adapted on the RP and it performed very well. I didn't try any other adapted EF lenses.

The photographer in the first image used an adapted EF 24-70 and he said it worked well for him.

Tim

Strick
544 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 01, 2019 15:07 |  #7

I was going to pre-order then decided not to...then I changed my mind again and ordered it Wed. Showed up today and just playing with the handling so far, I am impressed. I have used more than a few mirroless cameras, I mainly use Oly's now but I have been a Canon DSLR shooter since the mid 2000's.

So far this is a nice little package and pretty much the perfect size. Once I find something worth shooting I will post some images.

www.strickphotography.​com (external link)

Timphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,069 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 01, 2019 16:31 as a reply to  @ Strick's post |  #8

Congratulations on the new camera!

Tim

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,274 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by ozziepuppy with reason 'Wrong photo'.

Mar 02, 2019 11:06 |  #9

I want this one. :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

kd_reno
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by kd_reno.

Mar 03, 2019 15:49 |  #10

Guy in the camera store knocked me down and and severely twisted my arm. Or maybe took the camera out of the box and let me play around with it. I don't remember exactly, but I seem to have one now.

JPEG with a little exposure correction, cropped to 4x5. Window light

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7918/46548442014_bd336fea27_b.jpg
Findley (external link) by Ken Drozd (external link) on Flickr

Ken
More stuff than I know how to use

Fyahstarter
25 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 03, 2019 16:14 |  #11

Chet wrote in post #18818020 (external link)

Picked mine up on Friday and it feels solid. Very rigid.

Fyahstarter
25 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 03, 2019 16:21 |  #12

HOSTED PHOTO

EF50mm @ f/5.6 1/60 sec. ISO 5000.

Fyahstarter
25 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 03, 2019 16:25 as a reply to  @ kd_reno's post |  #13

Pics like these are why we have YouTube reviewers and then we have actual owners/users.

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,274 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 03, 2019 16:26 |  #14

Was able to see one at Best Buy when I went in to buy something else. With the adapter & 24 pancake it was very small & light. The Canon rep was there & demonstrated the focus peaking and also showed how to set up the focus bracketing (images can then be stacked in DPP or using other software). He also demonstrated moving the focus point w/ your thumb while looking through the viewfinder. Fairly impressive.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

Strick
544 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 03, 2019 19:05 |  #15

Not bad at ISO 12800 and edited a little. No raw support yet is a drag for sure, I hope ACR gets updated quickly.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.strickphotography.​com (external link)

sponsored links

20,959 views & 326 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS RP shooters unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.