Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

mhickman
281 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 06, 2019 05:38 as a reply to  @ post 18823658 |  #3316

Thanks!

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

sponsored links
LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 06, 2019 05:59 |  #3317

I feel a little guilty for liking heavily cooked sunsets, but they look so amazing.

The second one almost looks like it should be the flag of a tropical country.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

squashed
Goldmember
4,148 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 06, 2019 10:40 |  #3318

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18815117 (external link)
From what I've read, when you calibrate the sight it is in line with the single point in the middle of the frame... so you just kind of assume that AF is acquired? That's my guess.

I bought this and it was delivered yesterday. When the weather clears I'll get out and try it !

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,873 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 06, 2019 10:49 |  #3319

LonelyBoy wrote in post #18823942 (external link)
I feel a little guilty for liking heavily cooked sunsets, but they look so amazing.

The second one almost looks like it should be the flag of a tropical country.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by LonelyBoy in
./showthread.php?p=188​23942&i=i165876728
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Above and slightly left of the sun, I see a circle. Is that sensor dirt/dust?

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 06, 2019 12:08 |  #3320

golfecho wrote in post #18824074 (external link)
Above and slightly left of the sun, I see a circle. Is that sensor dirt/dust?

Oh god. That's still there, and doesn't move from the sensor cleaning and now I see it in a lot of shots. While shooting one of the sunsets, a message popped up about sensor overload. Did I make a very expensive mistake in assuming that one of the benefits of ML was being able to shoot sunsets safely?

Shoot me now.

:cry:

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

WilsonFlyer
693 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 06, 2019 13:36 |  #3321

LonelyBoy wrote in post #18824113 (external link)
Oh god. That's still there, and doesn't move from the sensor cleaning and now I see it in a lot of shots. While shooting one of the sunsets, a message popped up about sensor overload. Did I make a very expensive mistake in assuming that one of the benefits of ML was being able to shoot sunsets safely?

Shoot me now.

OK. This is the first thing that's really gotten my attention. I got past all the noise, but I shoot a LOT of sunsets and sunrises in the spring and summer. I really hope you keep us posted on this. Like I said, this one's thrown the alert button on. :(

mccamli
683 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 06, 2019 14:51 |  #3322

squashed wrote in post #18824067 (external link)
I bought this and it was delivered yesterday. When the weather clears I'll get out and try it !

I picked one up the other day. I've only had a few minutes to try it out so far but it looks like it has huge potential.

One thing to note is that you need to adjust the sight for different subject distances. I initially set it up for subjects in the distance but then when there was a flock of seagulls up close I found that I was shooting well below the birds.

Not a drama though. I suspect as you get used to it you'll either know to aim slightly above/below the dot or will just be able to dial in the adjustment of a number of clicks on the fly.

I was using it on a 7D ii. When using it with the seagulls up close it was possible to aim the camera at individual birds but still see the whole flock. It was so easy to move the camera to the most interesting bird at the time. I could still see the others so if the point of interest changed it was so easy to re-position the camera :-)

To be fair, none of my up-close shots were in focus but my aim was consistently 1/4 of a frame below the subject.

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 06, 2019 18:05 |  #3323

Shoot me now.

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18824168 (external link)
OK. This is the first thing that's really gotten my attention. I got past all the noise, but I shoot a LOT of sunsets and sunrises in the spring and summer. I really hope you keep us posted on this. Like I said, this one's thrown the alert button on. :(

Are you guys kidding ?? … Welcome to cameras and dust :lol: :p:-D:oops: Dust spots are a fact of camera life.. Get your blower out and turn that camera upside down and gently give it a blowing.. works wonders  :p:lol::-P O and don't hit the sensor with your blower lol. If your not comfortable get someone else to do it.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

mhickman
281 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 06, 2019 18:26 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #3324

Don’t forget that the lens could have dust and shooting at narrow ISOs can really enhance the appearance.

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

WilsonFlyer
693 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 06, 2019 18:39 |  #3325

Shoot me now.

I believe this is cause for at least momentary pause for concern.

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 06, 2019 18:39 |  #3326

Pondrader wrote in post #18824342 (external link)
Are you guys kidding ?? … Welcome to cameras and dust :lol: :p:-D:oops: Dust spots are a fact of camera life.. Get your blower out and turn that camera upside down and gently give it a blowing.. works wonders  :p:lol::-P O and don't hit the sensor with your blower lol. If your not comfortable get someone else to do it.

The concern is that the sensor was burnt by the sun. At least that's how I perceived it.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

WilsonFlyer
693 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 06, 2019 18:40 |  #3327

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18824363 (external link)
The concern is that the sensor was burnt by the sun. At least that's how I perceived it.

That's the way I read it also.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,635 posts
Gallery: 477 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by C Scott IV.

Mar 06, 2019 19:31 |  #3328

Pondrader wrote in post #18817143 (external link)
Ya I wish to just leave it on and go.. much like yourself… I have a normal plate on right now keeping the camera off things. I was wondering about taking the bottom portion and using just that. It looks like it unscrews. Im almost never vertical.. but when I wish to be it would be nice. If you find something I would be interested .

Its not something you could put on and leave… but it is interesting
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=188​17143&i=i100795578
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

They are available at B&H now. Mine is on the way!
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …cket_and_l_plat​e_for.html (external link)

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 7 months ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2019 20:44 |  #3329

C Scott IV wrote in post #18824389 (external link)
They are available at B&H now. Mine is on the way!
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …cket_and_l_plat​e_for.html (external link)

Super… I'm waiting for evaluation….

On the dust spot…. I don't think the EOS R sensor is any different than any canon sensor in terms of shooting the sun rise and set.. That would be silly on canons part. Looks like normal dust to me.. I would be shocked if it was anything else.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,738 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 7 months ago by Mistabernie.

Mar 06, 2019 20:47 |  #3330

Ahhhhhhhhhh I got my EOS-R today! Bought from my local store because they matched B&H's current offer (free adapter ring, bag, 64gb sandisk extreme card).

Now to decipher this thing.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

sponsored links

796,139 views & 13,316 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.