Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 25 Nov 2008 (Tuesday) 00:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your Freighter or big boat thread

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,135 posts
Gallery: 393 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 07, 2019 19:39 |  #1561

Some monster ships in here!

Some more of the US Naval mothball fleet, Philadelphia.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links
Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 240 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 08, 2019 00:22 |  #1562

shocolite wrote in post #18824685 (external link)
Taking a trip down memory lane here!

Below are (some) of a sequence of pictures I took whilst on a cape-size bulk carrier in 2001. This was the tail end of a hurricane with something like force 10 or 11 winds still blowing. This ship was 283m long and 44m wide. We had a 9m freeboard (the distance from the waterline to the maindeck) on this passage. The fore-mast was (at least) 12m high.

I can't exactly remember but the swells breaking over the bow were probably at least 12 to 15m is size, hopefully the above dimensions help to give some scale to the size of the seas after the hurricane had passed through. This was somewhere off south-west Australia.

The 2 pictures are zoomed in somewhat and only show the forward third/half of the ship with the swells breaking over the bow.

In the two below images where the railings on the port (left) side of the ship disappear into the water, in calm conditions the bottom of this railing would have been 9 meters above the waterline.

Likewise with the above post, these 35mm negative images were scanned years ago with an early dedicated USB1.0 film scanner so apologies for the image quality.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by shocolite in
./showthread.php?p=188​24685&i=i240278021
forum: Transportation

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by shocolite in
./showthread.php?p=188​24685&i=i166388239
forum: Transportation

shocolite wrote in post #18824669 (external link)
The first picture below was the first ship I sailed on almost 25 years ago, the ship was on passage from Brazil to Singapore and we literally rolled our way across with the following seas! I remember the dumb-bells in the gym broke free and created absolute carnage. Most importantly the beer remained intact and unaffected!

Then some years later I saw the ship again whilst serving on a different vessel, whilst berthed in the port of Singapore.

The pictures look alright on this post, but they were scanned from the 35mm negatives on one of the early dedicated film scanners that were on the market in the early 2000's. If I remember rightly it was USB1.0 and it took perhaps 20 minutes to scan one image! I gave up scanning most of my 35mm pictures!

Nice story, I’ve often wondered about how safe the heavily stacked-up container ships are in high seas and a gale. The responsibility must weigh heavily on the captain and his crew.

Ray-P

shocolite
209 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 08, 2019 01:05 |  #1563

Personally I think container ships have gone too big. Understandably economy of scale rules in favour of the owners and shippers using such large vessels but as has been witnessed in the past 2 or 3 months there has been several incidents of containers being lost overboard.

One major problem is that the shippers of each container often overload them and then deliberately under-declare the weight. On a large containers ship this can mean a difference of thousands of tonnes. And putting heaving containers up top increases the stresses of the containers below and also of the lashing gear securing them.

Believe it or not, many ports still do not weight the containers as they are being loaded onto the ships.

I was on one container ship were we had about 30 containers collapse due to an old printing press (weighing about 25 tonnes) started moving inside the container causing sidewall damage and eventually crashing through into adjacent containers. Upon investigation it transpired the printing press had not been secured or lashed down in the container and when the vessel encountered heavy seas the damage was done. Many people underestimate how much cargo ships roll and don't realise that despite their size, Mother Nature always has the upper hand.

It is not the responsibility of this occurring that is of primary concern to those onboard the vessel but that your lives are put at risk by such incidents. And regrettably this is true of many other areas of industry.

Canon 80D, 700D & G7 X; EF-S 10-18/18-135 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS USM, 50 F1.4, 100 F2.8L Macro, 16-35 F4L, 70-200 F4L IS; 100-400 L II, Speedlite 430EX II

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 08, 2019 02:05 |  #1564

The sea is definitely the boss, she can give and she can take at a whim.

I like what I like.
Gear-Canon 1DX2, Canon Eos 7D2, Canon EF 300mm f2.8L IS II USM, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II USM, EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 70-200 f/4 IS USM. Canon extenders 1.4x & 2x MKIII.

WestCoastCannuck
327 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 09, 2019 16:30 |  #1565

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18825029 (external link)
Some monster ships in here!

Some more of the US Naval mothball fleet, Philadelphia.

Outstanding again. That glass still water, light and clouds were begging for a great photographer - and you made masterpieces. For me, really, these are worthy of a show all by themselves.

Cheers

Mike

flickr (external link)
A99ii|Tam15-30|M28-135|M35-105|M80-200G|SAL70400G|Σ50 1.4|CZ135/1.8|Minolta 300/2.8|Minolta 400/4.5

WestCoastCannuck
327 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 09, 2019 16:34 |  #1566

Was birding with my 300/2.8 and 1.4X (unsuccessfully) and thought this scene was nice. Only trouble was I could not fit the ship in the frame - I could have just taken off the teleconverter but was lazy and stitched 4 horizontal frames instead.

Please click on link for a nice large view showing some pretty good details on the freighter - and a pretty cool mirage effect on the more distant ship.

Best regards

Mike

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-tjgmnCq/0/77750596/X2/i-tjgmnCq-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/77750596/O/i-tjgmnCq.jpg  (external link)

flickr (external link)
A99ii|Tam15-30|M28-135|M35-105|M80-200G|SAL70400G|Σ50 1.4|CZ135/1.8|Minolta 300/2.8|Minolta 400/4.5

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,135 posts
Gallery: 393 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 09, 2019 16:49 as a reply to  @ WestCoastCannuck's post |  #1567

That's very kind of you. Thank you Mike.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,360 posts
Gallery: 1036 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 10, 2019 06:53 |  #1568

Ferry near Sicily

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
13,566 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 10, 2019 19:54 |  #1569

HOSTED PHOTO

Some simple photos

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited 14 days ago by Ray.Petri.

Mar 11, 2019 03:29 |  #1570

WestCoastCannuck wrote in post #18826052 (external link)
Was birding with my 300/2.8 and 1.4X (unsuccessfully) and thought this scene was nice. Only trouble was I could not fit the ship in the frame - I could have just taken off the teleconverter but was lazy and stitched 4 horizontal frames instead.

Please click on link for a nice large view showing some pretty good details on the freighter - and a pretty cool mirage effect on the more distant ship.

Best regards

Mike

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/77750596/O/i-tjgmnCq.jpg  (external link)

Hi Mike, I often stitch my shipping shots when I can’t be bothered to change the lens or remove the telecoverter. However, if successful it does result in a higher definition image, trouble is it has to have it’s pixels squeezed for the forum. But they still seem surprisingly good.
Another problem I have found is that if you don’t keep an eye on the automatic stitching you can get an extra section of the ship stitched in or left out.
Also, I could get many shots using the 24-105 but I prefer to stitch two or three shots using a higher quality lens - 70-200L II or 100-400L II. But a complex background can be a problem when the ship is moving against it.

Regards

Ray-P

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited 13 days ago by Ray.Petri. (3 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2019 02:07 |  #1571

Sunrise Ace Tilbury Dock. River Thames UK - Yesterday 11th May 2019

This is a three shot pano stitched in PS CS6. I used the 24-105 MkII.

HOSTED PHOTO

Ray-P

chadmcm
308 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 12, 2019 10:23 as a reply to  @ post 18824977 |  #1572

I didn't have time to get to Ford Island and the Missouri when I was in Honolulu, but I did get to the Arizona. Toured the Mo in Bremerton as a kid and in Astoria when it was being transferred to Pearl (above decks tour only - everything was welded shut for the tow). Gonna get back someday and see what they've done with her.

Chad McMurry
Vancouver, WA USA

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 14, 2019 01:03 |  #1573

shocolite wrote in post #18825147 (external link)
Personally I think container ships have gone too big. Understandably economy of scale rules in favour of the owners and shippers using such large vessels but as has been witnessed in the past 2 or 3 months there has been several incidents of containers being lost overboard.

One major problem is that the shippers of each container often overload them and then deliberately under-declare the weight. On a large containers ship this can mean a difference of thousands of tonnes. And putting heaving containers up top increases the stresses of the containers below and also of the lashing gear securing them.

Believe it or not, many ports still do not weight the containers as they are being loaded onto the ships.

I was on one container ship were we had about 30 containers collapse due to an old printing press (weighing about 25 tonnes) started moving inside the container causing sidewall damage and eventually crashing through into adjacent containers. Upon investigation it transpired the printing press had not been secured or lashed down in the container and when the vessel encountered heavy seas the damage was done. Many people underestimate how much cargo ships roll and don't realise that despite their size, Mother Nature always has the upper hand.

It is not the responsibility of this occurring that is of primary concern to those onboard the vessel but that your lives are put at risk by such incidents. And regrettably this is true of many other areas of industry.

Hi Shocolite. We frequently hear about large containers being washed up or floating around the oceans - but have you - or anyone else - any experience of a cargo ship hitting one and the damage caused? Would you try to recover them or just leave them?

Regards.

Ray-P

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 14, 2019 01:59 |  #1574

Ray.Petri wrote in post #18828519 (external link)
Hi Shocolite. We frequently hear about large containers being washed up or floating around the oceans - but have you - or anyone else - any experience of a cargo ship hitting one and the damage caused? Would you try to recover them or just leave them?

Regards.

When containers do fall off they either sink or they float similar to an iceberg, most of their mass below the surface, these are the dangerous ones. Many ocean going yachts have hit these and either have sunk or been badly damaged. During my many years working at sea I've seen an awful lot of these metal 'icebergs'. Trying to recover a lost container is almost impossible due to the fact many container ships do not have the cranes and 'if' they did have cranes the risk of getting damaged is far too much.

I like what I like.
Gear-Canon 1DX2, Canon Eos 7D2, Canon EF 300mm f2.8L IS II USM, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II USM, EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 70-200 f/4 IS USM. Canon extenders 1.4x & 2x MKIII.

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,969 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 14, 2019 05:15 |  #1575

chadmcm wrote in post #18827610 (external link)
I didn't have time to get to Ford Island and the Missouri when I was in Honolulu, but I did get to the Arizona. Toured the Mo in Bremerton as a kid and in Astoria when it was being transferred to Pearl (above decks tour only - everything was welded shut for the tow). Gonna get back someday and see what they've done with her.

is access to the Missouri only via Ford Island? Im no longer active duty and didnt retire so I wouldnt be allowed to go to Ford (i dont THINK). used to be only active duty, dependent and retired could board the ferry to Ford Island, but this was way before the Missouri was transferred there...

id love to take my wife to Hawaii. I used to stay at Bellows Field AFS in the cabins when i caught hops, nearly 30-35 years ago...

sponsored links

355,116 views & 1,485 likes for this thread
Post your Freighter or big boat thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.