Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 18, 2019 17:49 |  #3481

LonelyBoy wrote in post #18830998 (external link)
Yeah... that's that famous spot that is why I've had an ulcer for the last two weeks.

You sent it back…. did you not. I think I could and would have fixed that little dust spot in about 4 seconds.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
edmidlifecrisis
Goldmember
3,410 posts
Gallery: 177 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited 7 months ago by edmidlifecrisis. (2 edits in all)

Mar 18, 2019 18:38 |  #3482

Pondrader wrote in post #18831021 (external link)
Personally I don't think there is a right answer… sometimes to me it feels human.. for a couple months every image I posted went explore within a day of posting it on my page. unless the algorithm looks for people as well… but I don't know. I have some in the 130,000 range, some 40,000 Lynx and squirrels people love.

My record is about 100K. Just once. Birds mostly but a couple of snakes too...there is a thread here for explored images, they are all over the map!!!!!

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1079037

Ed
https://www.sandhillim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 7 months ago by Pondrader.

Mar 18, 2019 19:23 |  #3483

edmidlifecrisis wrote in post #18831064 (external link)
My record is about 100K. Just once. Birds mostly but a couple of snakes too...there is a thread here for explored images, they are all over the map!!!!!

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1079037

I use to really like Flickr but right now I’m sitting on the fence wondering if I get enough out of it to pay buy the year. I’m not sure I do. I mean yes I’ve have magazines and organizations ask for images for their publications but what does that get me besides being a known unknown. I’ve had quite the battle with myself this year about that very thing. So much so I’ve toyed with hanging it up. Then somebody like Shooz gets me to take him out around places I know and shoot regular. I do enjoy the shoot... I just have to find my outlet for the end product that suits me. The odd unpaid mag image Isn’t it.

flickr (external link)

RodS57
888 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 18, 2019 19:45 |  #3484

Pondrader wrote in post #18831093 (external link)
I use to really like Flickr but right now I’m sitting on the fence wondering if I get enough out of it to pay buy the year. I’m not sure I do. I mean yes I’ve have magazines and organizations ask for images for their publications but what does that get me besides being a known unknown. I’ve had quite the battle with myself this year about that very thing. So much so I’ve toyed with hanging it up. Then somebody like Shooz gets me to take him out around places I know and shoot regular. I do enjoy the shoot... I just have to find my outlet for the end product that suits me. The odd unpaid mag image Isn’t it.

I have been killing a lot of time trying to make digital copies of old slides. I have the very first picture I ever took with my first slr way back in 1973. Very few people see my pictures. They are my memories. These days I go on google earth and try to see if I can pin point the location of the shot. Oh, how much has changed in the 40 odd years that have passed since those first shots.

I enjoy the craft for what it is and the time I spend trying but maybe that is just me.

In other words take pictures because you enjoy doing it.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 18, 2019 19:59 |  #3485

RodS57 wrote in post #18831101 (external link)
I have been killing a lot of time trying to make digital copies of old slides. I have the very first picture I ever took with my first slr way back in 1973. Very few people see my pictures. They are my memories. These days I go on google earth and try to see if I can pin point the location of the shot. Oh, how much has changed in the 40 odd years that have passed since those first shots.

I enjoy the craft for what it is and the time I spend trying but maybe that is just me.

In other words take pictures because you enjoy doing it.

Rod

Thats the truth right there Rod.

flickr (external link)

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 18, 2019 20:07 |  #3486

Pondrader wrote in post #18831030 (external link)
You sent it back…. did you not. I think I could and would have fixed that little dust spot in about 4 seconds.

Maybe. Maybe I would have sent it to you if I'd had it more than a week. :p But I had told myself I loved it more than I loved it, but now I think of it again. Maybe I'll pull a you and buy another. Maybe I'll just rent one for my Rome trip in a few months.

I'm sure you're all on tenterhooks waiting to find out.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 18, 2019 20:09 |  #3487

Pondrader wrote in post #18831093 (external link)

You have more likes on a random picture than I have on all of mine combined. I have a few family members looking at mine (besides the randos liking a handful of specific pictures for whatever indiscernible reason). I ponied up just because I didn't want to make my family bookmark a new link; that'd be hit or miss, and they like seeing what I'm up to.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 18, 2019 20:27 |  #3488

LonelyBoy wrote in post #18831110 (external link)
Maybe. Maybe I would have sent it to you if I'd had it more than a week. :p But I had told myself I loved it more than I loved it, but now I think of it again. Maybe I'll pull a you and buy another. Maybe I'll just rent one for my Rome trip in a few months.

I'm sure you're all on tenterhooks waiting to find out.

lol I loved 90 % in this R right off the bat. but its not really a camera for a guy like me. and it is at the same time. I did chicken out just like you..!! I said to myself…... WHAT …WHAT ARE YOU DOING…. lol I'm the guy saying 15 frames a second is only just ok lol…. Honestly The R is a super camera in so many ways.. and a dog is a couple. I absolutely hate camera buying.. hate it.. love shooting hate buying. When your headed to Rome.. Take the camera you know.

flickr (external link)

avondale87
Cream of the Crop
5,008 posts
Gallery: 437 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 18, 2019 20:54 |  #3489

Pondrader wrote in post #18829786 (external link)
The one thing that could potentially make a wildlife shooter move on is the lack of a fine AF point in servo… it is completely lacking in this area.
The normal size AF point is just to large for fine work with smaller critters. Moving to one shot and small gives the R the speed of 8 fps and small point but no AF… Incredibly stupid.. frustrating to say the least.

Nothing like shooting something in the face and getting nothing but close surroundings… Makes ya want to shake your head.

My turn to gripe

The good thing with these cameras is this should be just a software upgrade away.
I can't see it being any more than that.
Hopefully enough have griped, and Canon have listened

Richard

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 19, 2019 07:39 |  #3490

Pondrader wrote in post #18831118 (external link)
lol I loved 90 % in this R right off the bat. but its not really a camera for a guy like me. and it is at the same time. I did chicken out just like you..!! I said to myself…... WHAT …WHAT ARE YOU DOING…. lol I'm the guy saying 15 frames a second is only just ok lol…. Honestly The R is a super camera in so many ways.. and a dog is a couple. I absolutely hate camera buying.. hate it.. love shooting hate buying. When your headed to Rome.. Take the camera you know.

For me it was that the wrong screen was always on (between rear and EVF), the BBF button and top control dial were just far enough away from where I'd like them to be that I couldn't easily reach them, it wasn't all THAT much smaller than my 5D3 + 24-105, and the touchscreen took way too long/ too much movement to get the focus point where I wanted.

OTOH, it took some lovely pictures. I love the improved AWB, loved the wifi, and loved the tilty-flippy. If I do rent one for Rome, it'll be something I rent for at least a week ahead of time to get back in practice with. I wish LensRentals had an M50.

You hate camera buying; that's how I am about bikes and laptops. It's a matter of expensive items with lots of quirks you can't figure out until you've owned it for a bit.

crofter
323 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 19, 2019 12:01 |  #3491

Can't find any deer but I did find these,only a mother could love em.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7829/47421228951_c8f8a79b22_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ffs​ceH  (external link) Guinea fowl (external link) by Rob Nelson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7896/46698024264_62c43e38b8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2e9x​zFo  (external link) Guinea fowl 2 (external link) by Rob Nelson (external link), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,635 posts
Gallery: 477 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2019 18:33 |  #3492

Pondrader wrote in post #18831118 (external link)

Great advice! Better to enjoy the trip than focusing on the camera.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 19, 2019 19:37 |  #3493

C Scott IV wrote in post #18831631 (external link)
Great advice! Better to enjoy the trip than focusing on the camera.

So true Charles… Hey how's that L bracket..?? Did you get it.. I still look all the time but have bought nothing yet..

flickr (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,635 posts
Gallery: 477 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by C Scott IV. (3 edits in all)

Mar 19, 2019 19:47 |  #3494

My L-bracket arrived today. It was mistakenly delivered to another town and took awhile to find its way home. The screen has 100% range of movement. It is big but I am going to cut the cold shoe off of it anyway. I may check with ProMediaGear to see if they have a better solution in the works.

I also got a Kenko 300 x2 TC because the R is supposed to AF down to f/11. I got the Kenko because it will work with any EF lens, even the 28-300L. The R doesn't recognize that the 100-400L is attached when using the x2. It displays F00. Focus peaking works but I want AF. It doesn't have to be fast but I want it to work.

The Kenko 300 x1.4 TC and 100-400L work just fine on the R.

Oddly AF works with the x2 and 100-400L in Live View on my 80D. It even works when stacked with its X1.4 brother.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,218 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2019 21:32 |  #3495

golfecho wrote in post #18829127 (external link)
Hey Chet . . . I'd love to see a bigger version of your avitar. Got one handy? Looks interesting . . . like right up my alley . . .

Took a bit to find.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links

796,683 views & 13,325 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.