Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,263 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 20, 2019 02:35 |  #3496

C Scott IV wrote in post #18831657 (external link)
...The R doesn't recognize that the 100-400L is attached when using the x2. It displays F00. Focus peaking works but I want AF. It doesn't have to be fast but I want it to work.

Are you saying the Kenko 2x doesn’t work or the Canon 2x? My R reports just fine with Canon 2x III and the 100-400mm, and AF works fine as well.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from LoneRider's gallery.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

sponsored links
A1original
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 20, 2019 04:36 |  #3497

Firmware: Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM v2.0.0
By Canon Rumors | March 19, 2019 | Canon Firmware
Canon has released new firmware for the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.
Firmware Version 2.0.0 incorporates the following enhancement:
Supports continuous shooting in silent shooting mode with the EOS R running Firmwmare Version 1.1.0 or later.
This firmware update is for lenses equipped with older firmware versions. If the lens’s firmware is already version 2.0.0, update is unnecessary.
The version of the lens firmware can be checked on the camera menu.
Notes:
EOS R Firmware Version must be 1.1.0 or later.

Canon EOS R|Canon RF 24-105L|Canon 6D griped|Canon 7D II griped| Canon 7D griped| and a bunch of Canon L lenses
https//www.flickr.com/photos/​iseiler (external link) Ira “No one here gets out alive”

RoyOrbison
Candy Colored Clown
66 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 20, 2019 08:00 as a reply to  @ A1original's post |  #3498

Hello all,

Before I make up my mind, just one question to R users - how is the EVF in bright sunlight?? Most of my photos are taken during summer time, so should I just stick to OVF?

Roy Orbison

Gear: Canon 7D, Canon D350, Canon EF-S 15-85 mm, Canon EF 70-200IS F4 L, Canon EF-S 18-55, EF-S 55-250 mm, EF-S 60 mm macro, Canon 50 mm 1.8, Canon EF 28-135 mm, Canon 85 mm 1.8, Sigma 18-50 mm, Sigma 10-22 mm, Canon EF35 mm 2.0, Canon Speedlight 580EX

mhickman
277 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 20, 2019 08:43 |  #3499

RoyOrbison wrote in post #18831903 (external link)
Hello all,

Before I make up my mind, just one question to R users - how is the EVF in bright sunlight?? Most of my photos are taken during summer time, so should I just stick to OVF?

I love the EVF. I've taken plenty of photos in noon sunlight and what you see is what you get! I can't tell you how many times with the OVF of my 6D, where I had my settings dialed in, and due to the main dial getting hit, that everything looks good, but you then realize after a few photos that you blew them out, or were too underexposed.

EOS R where I had little to do.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from mhickman's gallery.

6D where I missed the first shot.
HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from mhickman's gallery.

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 6 months ago by Pondrader. (3 edits in all)

Mar 20, 2019 11:22 |  #3500

RoyOrbison wrote in post #18831903 (external link)
Hello all,

Ya I agree Roy… The EVF well…...Its like as good or better than your Dsl OVF with many many benefits. and only a couple draw backs… its not as fluid as of yet… not terrible but still could be faster. There are many that can go into their version of EVF but I find the benefits out weigh the negitive.

Adjusting for shadow verses bright light it just shines as you can see and tweak to get the perfect exposer… I'm addicted.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Cassie
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 191 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 20, 2019 15:54 |  #3501

aww, what a cute little critter :-)

http://thompson-photo.smugmug.com/ (external link)
https://instagram.com/​vegaquarium (external link)
5D MK IV
35 F/2 IS*Shorty-Forty*50L*85L II*135L :D
430 EX II

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Gallery: 475 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 20, 2019 17:37 |  #3502

LoneRider wrote in post #18831785 (external link)
Are you saying the Kenko 2x doesn’t work or the Canon 2x? My R reports just fine with Canon 2x III and the 100-400mm, and AF works fine as well.

The R does not recognize the 100-400L when attached to the Kenko 2x.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

RodS57
884 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 20, 2019 20:13 |  #3503

Pondrader wrote in post #18831974 (external link)
Ya I agree Roy… The EVF well…...Its like as good or better than your Dsl OVF with many many benefits. and only a couple draw backs… its not as fluid as of yet… not terrible but still could be faster. There are many that can go into their version of EVF but I find the benefits out weigh the negitive.

Adjusting for shadow verses bright light it just shines as you can see and tweak to get the perfect exposer… I'm addicted.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=188​31974&i=i107213261
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

looks like he was just about to say something as the picture was taken. Nice shot.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 20, 2019 20:32 |  #3504

C Scott IV wrote in post #18832177 (external link)
The R does not recognize the 100-400L when attached to the Kenko 2x.

As always, there is no one or "the" Kenko 2x. There is more than 1 model, and multiple firmwares. Usually, when one does not work, it is a DGX version which works outside of Canon's TC protocol. My Pro 300 DGX 1.4 worked fine with my 6D and 7D, and crashes the 7D2 sometimes, especially with newer Canon lenses. The problem may manifest differently in an R and a late model DSLR, such that the R sees nothing at all with a DGX.

Kenko should have thought ahead and put a switch in the DGX TCs to turn them into normal reporting TCs when they fail with body and lens combos; now I can not recommend Kenko as readily as I once did.

crofter
323 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 21, 2019 01:38 |  #3505

Just tried a Kenko 2x pro 300 DGX (blue dot) with my R and 100-400 mk2,works OK, focus a bit slow,doesn't alter the displayed aperture so it's as if it wasn't there,as John says there have been many Kenko versions over the years,some of the older ones can be troublesome with newer cameras or lenses.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,263 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 21, 2019 01:39 |  #3506

Looks like SmallRig has come out with an L bracket for the R. I went ahead and ordered one to give a try.

Looks to cover the entire camera bottom, but has a door for battery removal. Side piece looks to be forward enough to allow the screen to flip out.

Will advise more once in hand. Pics at the link

https://www.adorama.co​m/srapl2257.html (external link)

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 21, 2019 03:59 |  #3507

crofter wrote in post #18832346 (external link)
Just tried a Kenko 2x pro 300 DGX (blue dot) with my R and 100-400 mk2,works OK, focus a bit slow,doesn't alter the displayed aperture so it's as if it wasn't there,as John says there have been many Kenko versions over the years,some of the older ones can be troublesome with newer cameras or lenses.

The older ones work fine, if we're talking 10 or more years ago. I bought the Pro 300 DGX when it came out, several years ago, and as I said it worked great on the 6D and 7D, doing what no proper TC should be expected to do: giving AF at f/8 in f/5.6 AF points, while also gving correct EXIF info, which it gave even if you stacked it with another TC. The older DG (what the DGX was supposed to replace) is what I currently use, virtually glued between the 7D2 and 400/4DO II, and it is visibly as sharp and contrasted as not using the TC. This DG has always worked as designed.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by C Scott IV.

Mar 21, 2019 18:03 |  #3508

John Sheehy wrote in post #18832257 (external link)
As always, there is no one or "the" Kenko 2x. There is more than 1 model, and multiple firmwares. Usually, when one does not work, it is a DGX version which works outside of Canon's TC protocol. My Pro 300 DGX 1.4 worked fine with my 6D and 7D, and crashes the 7D2 sometimes, especially with newer Canon lenses. The problem may manifest differently in an R and a late model DSLR, such that the R sees nothing at all with a DGX.

Kenko should have thought ahead and put a switch in the DGX TCs to turn them into normal reporting TCs when they fail with body and lens combos; now I can not recommend Kenko as readily as I once did.

I had specified the 300 in a previous post but wasn't aware of multiple 300 models and dots. Mine is a Kenko 2x TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX with a yellow dot next to "Made in Japan". There is a little blue dot sticker on the bottom of the box. So for the sake of clarity I am rephrasing the results below.

With the R and Kenko 2x TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX:
It works as expected with the 28-300L.
It does not recognize the 100-400L v1.
It recognizes the EF 24-105L II but won't AF and has communication errors when pressing the shutter.

The Kenko 1.4x TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX works fine with the R and 100-400L v1.

With the 80D and Kenko 2x TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX:
It works as expected with the 100-400L v1.
It works as expected with the 100-400L v1 and stacked with the Kenko 1.4x TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by C Scott IV.

Mar 21, 2019 18:06 |  #3509

crofter wrote in post #18832346 (external link)

Mine is a Kenko 2x TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX with a yellow dot next to "Made in Japan". There is a blue dot on the bottom of the box. The 100-400L is version 1. It works with the 28-300L, which is a newer design.

Charles

crofter
323 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by crofter. (2 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2019 01:36 |  #3510

C Scott IV wrote in post #18832715 (external link)
Mine is a Kenko 2x TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX with a yellow dot next to "Made in Japan". There is a blue dot on the bottom of the box. The 100-400L is version 1. It works with the 28-300L, which is a newer design.

Ha,the eternal mysteries of the Kenko system,mine has the blue dot where yours is yellow,I think it's a date of manufacture thing the firmware will be different.
The more recent incarnation had "Teleplus HD" printed on and these worked with EFS lenses as well as EF (not too bad with the EFS 55-250 actually with a 1.4x),the most recent release is the "Teleplus HD Pro",these only fit EF lenses but are supposed to have high resolution optics,can't wait for the next gripping episode lol.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links

772,197 views & 12,946 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.