Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
Thread started 21 Mar 2019 (Thursday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND oingyboingybob (showing now: oingyboingybob)
Overall Rating3
Overall Image Quality7
Value for Money2.5
Must Haven/a
not rated
Suitability to Intended Usen/a
not rated
Got What I Expected1
AF Performance2.5
Handling and Ergonomics5
User-interface5.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS R

Canon EOS R, reviewed by oingyboingybob

oingyboingybob
169 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 21, 2019 14:13 |  #1

After having this EOS R for a month I am selling it on as I really do not like it. It has some positives but its negatives far outweigh them, at least they do for me. It's not my cup of tea at all.

Positives:
Lighter than my 1DX however most cameras are.
Nice grip.
Lens AFMA is not required.

Negatives:
Inability to focus on certain subjects I guess due to few cross type focus points. As an example take a painting or photo in a frame on a wall. The EOS R will focus nicely on the vertical edges of the frame but completely fails on the horizontal edges.
EVF appears nice but whenever the shutter is half-pressed to focus the image seen in the EVF flashes brightly before settling down - very distracting.
The EF-EOS R adapter does not work well with 3rd party lenses at wide apertures - circle type vignetting appears as per the example attached and as I cannot afford the prices demanded for the majority of Canon RF lenses this anomaly is a big problem for me.
The new multi-function bar is awful as it is very easy to inadvertently touch with your thumb changing whatever settings its set for. I turned mine off.
IQ is not as good as it should be for a camera of this price.

For me, the overall feel/impression is like a compact camera than a DSLR. I shall be going back to a DSLR, probably a 5D mk iv.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon: EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiv.
70-300 f4-5.6 mkii, 24-105L
Sigma: 150-600C, 105 f2.8 EX DG OS, 50 f1.4A.
Tamron:. 45mm SP f1.8

sponsored links
Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,174 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 21, 2019 14:27 |  #2

Brutal.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

CallumRD1
376 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by CallumRD1.

Mar 21, 2019 15:48 |  #3

What lens was used for that photo you're showing?

And what do you mean by "IQ is not as good as it should be for a camera of this price," as this camera has essentially the same sensor as the 5DIV which costs (at retail pricing) $800 more than the EOS R? (5DIV is $3100, EOS R is $2300)

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

oingyboingybob
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 2 months ago by oingyboingybob.

Mar 22, 2019 02:31 as a reply to  @ CallumRD1's post |  #4

Tamron sp 45mm at f1.8
I had the same issue with my Sigma 105mm with photos taken at f2.8.
The IQ , in my opinion, was average; nothing to write home about, however my opinion is subjective of course.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,228 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2019 09:50 |  #5

oingyboingybob wrote in post #18832607 (external link)
EVF appears nice but whenever the shutter is half-pressed to focus the image seen in the EVF flashes brightly before settling down - very distracting.

That must be terrible! . For me, that would be a complete deal-breaker right there. . I can't believe that anyone would put up with such an issue. . No wonder you are getting rid of the camera and going back to a DSLR. . If I had a camera with an EVF that did anything funky, I'd ditch it, too.

What a sucky thing for Canon to allow in their new camera. . Aren't these glitches supposed to be caught when the camera is in beta testing?

oingyboingybob wrote in post #18832607 (external link)
IQ is not as good as it should be for a camera of this price.
I shall be going back to a DSLR, probably a 5D mk iv.

I am having trouble understanding these statements. . They seem mutually exclusive. . Isn't the sensor (and therefore also the image quality) exactly the same in these two cameras?

Could you expand a bit on what dissatisfied you about the image quality of the EOS R? . I mean, not just a general statement about image quality, but actually telling us exactly what it is about the image quality that comes up short of your expectations. . Providing examples would be helpful.

Thanks

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,685 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Choderboy.

Mar 23, 2019 09:00 |  #6

The problem you see with Sigma lenses is a well known one.
Turn Peripheral illum corr to OFF - problem solved

EDIT: 5D4 behaves exactly the same.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,685 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 23, 2019 09:13 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18833098 (external link)

That must be terrible! . For me, that would be a complete deal-breaker right there. . I can't believe that anyone would put up with such an issue. . No wonder you are getting rid of the camera and going back to a DSLR. . If I had a camera with an EVF that did anything funky, I'd ditch it, too.

What a sucky thing for Canon to allow in their new camera. . Aren't these glitches supposed to be caught when the camera is in beta testing?

I am having trouble understanding these statements. . They seem mutually exclusive. . Isn't the sensor (and therefore also the image quality) exactly the same in these two cameras?

Could you expand a bit on what dissatisfied you about the image quality of the EOS R? . I mean, not just a general statement about image quality, but actually telling us exactly what it is about the image quality that comes up short of your expectations. . Providing examples would be helpful.

Thanks

Nobody that posts on POTN knows if the sensors in the 5D4 and EOS-R are the same. We know the pixel count is the same, nothing more.
Image quality comparisons are more likely to be with 5D4 operated in the most common way it is operated, ie not in Live View. The EOS-R can only operate in Live View.
In Live View the sensor heats up so it should not be surprising even if the sensors are identical, images would have more noise.

Sony mirrorless cameras have good noise performance despite the fact they are also operated in Live View but Google "Sony Star Eater" and there seems to be a good case for concluding they apply some processing to their images to address the problem.

As per my above post, the "circle type vignetting" can be avoided with one menu setting.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,685 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Choderboy.

Mar 23, 2019 09:27 |  #8

Regarding the EVF flashing brightly:
My EOS-R does that if the seen is dark and the camera needs more light to focus.

So go outside on a bright day, if camera is in M mode, set to ISO 100, 1/8000 sec, f8, the EVF will "flash brightly" when you try to focus (as it would have been very dim before focus attempt)
If settings were closer to ISO 100, 1/500 sec, f8 there will be no "flash brightly"
At the same time, if you point the camera directly at the sun with ISO100, 1/500 sec, f8, the EVF will be extremely bright and you will get a "flash of dim" as you try to focus.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,685 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 23, 2019 09:36 |  #9

Inability to focus is sometimes something I experience with the R. But then it will focus at f16!
On the R I can stack 1.4 and 2X TCs on my Sigma 500 f4 and the AF works well most of the time.
My 1DX2 with the same lens and TCs will occasionally AF on a subject but most of the time won't.
If I had to chose only 1, it would be a DSLR as far as AF goes. Overall it works better in more scenarios IMHO.

Dave
Image editing OK

oingyboingybob
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 30, 2019 12:00 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #10

Maybe so, but I get the same issue with the Tamron 45m. Also agreed is with turning Peripheral Illum off the issue is gone but that's not really the point.

oingyboingybob
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by oingyboingybob.

Mar 30, 2019 12:02 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #11

I've no idea if the sensor is exactly the same..all I can say from my point of view is that the EOS R produces bland images. Others may disagree which is fine by me. I can't provide examples now as the eEOS R is gone. Overall I thinks it absolutely sucks.

oingyboingybob
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 30, 2019 12:07 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #12

My focussing issue with this camera is that it will not focus where others will.
Overall I think this EOS R is overpriced, over-hyped and really poor value.

oingyboingybob
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 30, 2019 13:58 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #13

Well that's OK then.
Or maybe not for a camera that's priced as it currently is. I would expect better at this price level.

oingyboingybob
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 30, 2019 14:50 |  #14

Chet wrote in post #18832611 (external link)
Brutal.

Yes agreed. Brutal, yet honest IMO.

oingyboingybob
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 30, 2019 15:03 |  #15

CallumRD1 wrote in post #18832653 (external link)
What lens was used for that photo you're showing?

And what do you mean by "IQ is not as good as it should be for a camera of this price," as this camera has essentially the same sensor as the 5DIV which costs (at retail pricing) $800 more than the EOS R? (5DIV is $3100, EOS R is $2300)

All I can say in response to your query is that my 1DX which is now gone, produced sublime IQ. Indefinable but sublime. The figure of 18 with regard to megapixels sounds poor but in fact, for whatever technical reasons, produced just the absolute best images.
I have owned the 5D mk 2, 7D and 7d mk 2, 5DS and 5DR (the 5DS was the better) and ultimately the EOS R which is awful. I now have the 5D mk 4 which seems pretty good overall but I may well look to acquire a replacement 1DX for tripod use due to its weight and bulk as they are affordable when compared to the 1DX mk 2 which is currently out of my league and will probably remain so.
The only fly in the ointment with regard to 1DX is the propensity for sensor blobs from oil - needs to be checked in Adobe Lightroom with max dehaze in the develop module. Otherwise an absolute belter of a camera for the money.

sponsored links

1,934 views & 34 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R, reviewed by oingyboingybob
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.