Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Oct 2018 (Friday) 09:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon has made a change I'm not happy with

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,312 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 06, 2018 10:39 |  #76

Let's keep hope alive.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,312 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 25, 2019 16:13 |  #77

I visited Canon's Learn online site today. Many of the older, yet very helpful articles are not found. Including the AF Microadjustment Guidebook.

One of the older articles, Back-button AF explained, is present and has been updated for 2019 (or so they say).

On Canon's feedback page, I requested they restore some of the removed articles, including the MA Guidebook. Yeah, I'm sure that will do a lot of good.

https://www.usa.canon.​com …arn/education/t​opics#list (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,893 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 25, 2019 16:16 |  #78

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18834936 (external link)
I visited Canon's Learn online site today. Many of the older, yet very helpful articles are not found. Including the AF Microadjustment Guidebook.

One of the older articles, Back-button AF explained, is present and has been updated for 2019 (or so they say).

On Canon's feedback page, I requested they restore some of the removed articles, including the MA Guidebook. Yeah, I'm sure that will do a lot of good.

https://www.usa.canon.​com …arn/education/t​opics#list (external link)

See https://cdn.static-bl.com …AF-Micro-Adjust-Guide.pdf (external link) for the AF Microadjustment Guidebook.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,579 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 25, 2019 16:33 |  #79

John from PA wrote in post #18834940 (external link)
See https://cdn.static-bl.com …AF-Micro-Adjust-Guide.pdf (external link) for the AF Microadjustment Guidebook.

I too searched for this last week and saw that link in the google results page, but did not click it because of the weird formatting. I know enough that it could be perfectly legit, but still avoided it.

The link I clicked was to canon's site, but as with other links discussed in this thread, it resolved to their support main page.

Canon USA screwed this transition up royally.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,538 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 25, 2019 16:37 |  #80

+1 to that.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,312 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 25, 2019 22:47 |  #81

Hey John, that's great! Many thanks.

Is that from Canon's site? I'm not sure what cdn is.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,893 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by John from PA.

Mar 26, 2019 03:05 |  #82

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18835156 (external link)
Hey John, that's great! Many thanks.

Is that from Canon's site? I'm not sure what cdn is.

CDN is for Content Delivery Network. It is a network of geographically dispersed servers that have mirror copies of content and insure that a download is from the closest source. This is a bit of an anomaly and may not continue to exist. I've explored the site and unfortunately it seems to be the only Canon content, at least at present.

Other sites link to the same source; for instance if you go to https://www.canoncamer​anews-capetown.info …adjustment-guidebook.html (external link) and click download, you get the link I provided.

PNPhotography
796 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 26, 2019 18:45 |  #83

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18728044 (external link)
Not much to know about spot af, it shrinks the sensitivity of the AF point down a bit, and is a bit slower in performance over the other modes. Great for stills and other similar types, not great for fast action.

I disagree about the not so great for action part,I’ve been using Spot exclusively since my early days with the 7dm1.While it does slow the frame rate down slightly it’s also the most accurate by far along with not using BBF gives me the best performance out of my 7dmk1 and my7dmkII

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

N2bnfunn
690 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 26, 2019 19:06 |  #84

Next time I will surely tell Canon to check with you before doing anymore changes.

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,930 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 26, 2019 20:18 |  #85

PNPhotography wrote in post #18835598 (external link)
I disagree about the not so great for action part,I’ve been using Spot exclusively since my early days with the 7dm1.While it does slow the frame rate down slightly it’s also the most accurate by far along with not using BBF gives me the best performance out of my 7dmk1 and my7dmkII

Canon even states that spot AF slows things down a bit to make this a bit more accurate. Action is a term that covers a VERY wide gamut of activity. Sure spot AF can work for some action, but it won't be the best for others. It isn't a frame rate issue, it is the locking and firing the shot if you have 1st and 2nd priority set to focus.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,538 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 26, 2019 22:01 |  #86

I rarely use spot and I would never use it while tracking, but that is just me. Based on another thread where Canon messed up multiple links one being an excellent article on this I’d post it.

Image Editing OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,930 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 26, 2019 22:14 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #87

I actually use spot for basketball on the 5d4, with very good results with a high keeper rate. However the 7d2 doesn't do quite as well in the same venue, and there are some action on the 5d4 I won't use spot.

I try it always then draw my conclusions in every unique situation, to decide when/if it can be beneficial.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,538 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 26, 2019 23:36 |  #88

If it works for you then you have to go with it.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

6,009 views & 27 likes for this thread
Canon has made a change I'm not happy with
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.