Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Mar 2019 (Friday) 23:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LP 800x and elinchrom masterRX

AECZ
113 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 29, 2019 23:07 |  #1

If anybody using lp800x (godox battery pack) to power your strobe lights outdoor, please share your thoughts.

I am planning to use elinchrom masterRx(600ws) with lp800x for outdoor. Is there any down side or risk in using a third party battery pack. Also does Hisync(no high speed sync) will consume more battery power?

Elan
www.admirefotos.in (external link)
If you want to light you may not use ambient, If you want to use ambient you may not light..........

sponsored links
sincity
191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 30, 2019 08:17 |  #2

I build a home-made one for the Elinchrom 2400ws pack system, and I have no ill effects. When using Elinchrom or Broncolor packs, you can select a slower charge to get more battery life. On the Eli's it goes from 18amps to 10amp charging. On the Broncolor, I think it drops the flash duration for more battery life.

As for the HiSync.. I am having trouble with that one.. If you are talking about the full power Long-tail/hypersync... It shouldn't consume more power since it is still the same duration for the flash and the software is selecting the 'slice' of light illuminating the subject. But for the multi-pop lower power syncs, then yes????

AECZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2019 12:21 |  #3

Thankyou for your reply,
Got it, I am talking about the hypersync.
For the home made one, what kind of battery do you use, is it lithium ion or other. Also is it portable?

I am not much familiar with the battery types, but I can get expert help. After reading ur post I am planning to go DIY pack. Since It can get serviced easily.

Elan
www.admirefotos.in (external link)
If you want to light you may not use ambient, If you want to use ambient you may not light..........

ImageMaker...
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,180 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Mar 30, 2019 16:46 |  #4

Is use Paul C Buff VLX batteries. 1, 2 or 3 strobes sometimes. 3 is a stretch at 1,000 was though. 600? No sweat.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

sincity
191 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 01, 2019 18:25 as a reply to  @ AECZ's post |  #5

For my homemade, I am using older boating batteries since they are designed for deeper discharges. And it isn't that portable since I am using pack/head systems in addition to running a bluetooth speaker for music. The packs and power is on a RockRoller RT2 {their smallest cart} I would think Lithium Ion batteries is just as good, since they are lighter and have a higher energy density.

An option for a smaller/ lighter system is to use the Interfit Nomad system. https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …D_BwE&lsft=BI%3​A514&smp=Y (external link)

This is what the PCB VLX was before it was discontinued. Not sure if they use the same batteries.. PCB discontinued the VLX since they couldn't source the batteries, then the next month Interfit came out with the Nomad.

ImageMaker...
1,180 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Apr 01, 2019 23:13 |  #6

sincity wrote in post #18838779 (external link)
For my homemade, I am using older boating batteries since they are designed for deeper discharges. And it isn't that portable since I am using pack/head systems in addition to running a bluetooth speaker for music. The packs and power is on a RockRoller RT2 {their smallest cart} I would think Lithium Ion batteries is just as good, since they are lighter and have a higher energy density.

An option for a smaller/ lighter system is to use the Interfit Nomad system. https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …D_BwE&lsft=BI%3​A514&smp=Y (external link)

This is what the PCB VLX was before it was discontinued. Not sure if they use the same batteries.. PCB discontinued the VLX since they couldn't source the batteries, then the next month Interfit came out with the Nomad.

Wasn’t aware of the discontinuation. May as well get some Broncolor Move 1200 packs.

sincity
191 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 02, 2019 18:28 as a reply to  @ ImageMaker...'s post |  #7

@Angmo..

PCB did surprise me with the VLX discontinuation.. It wasn't really announced with big fanfare.. I got the news on DPreview, and from them I heard that PCB couldn't get the high tech batteries from China anymore. That is why when Interfit announced the Nomad and it looks like the batteries are the same with the same Watt-Hour and input plugs... So maybe you can re-cell with VLX with the Nomad..

ImageMaker...
1,180 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Apr 02, 2019 18:33 |  #8

sincity wrote in post #18839300 (external link)
@Angmo..

PCB did surprise me with the VLX discontinuation.. It wasn't really announced with big fanfare.. I got the news on DPreview, and from them I heard that PCB couldn't get the high tech batteries from China anymore. That is why when Interfit announced the Nomad and it looks like the batteries are the same with the same Watt-Hour and input plugs... So maybe you can re-cell with VLX with the Nomad..

Good to know. My VLXs are still well behaved. I am actually considering the Move 1200 pack.

ImageMaker...
1,180 posts
Joined Dec 2015

May 02, 2019 11:45 |  #9

sincity wrote in post #18839300 (external link)
@Angmo..

I did check with PCB on cell replacement in the future. They did say there’s circuitry with the cells so DIY would be iffy. But to contact them when I need new cells or battery replacement before doing something else.

Could not interpret what that might mean - as buy from us later before you leave - or maybe they can help at some point with spare batteries.

So I’ll just give them a shout first, see what’s up and consider building my own next time.

sincity
191 posts
Joined Nov 2014

May 03, 2019 04:05 as a reply to  @ ImageMaker...'s post |  #10

Paul Buff is talking about the circuit protection circuits on the battery/charger. In lithium cells, you have protection circuits to prevent undercharging and overcharging. In your laptops, the lithium cells are about 4 VDC, so there is three of them to make the 12VDC pack ; while the VLX are about 3.1 VDC so they use four to make 12VDC. So you have to match the right transistor for the charging.

To me, that Nomad seems to have the same specs as the VLX... I think PCB did have trouble sourcing the battery from China, so I thought Interfit bought several months of product from the same factory as PCB. Hence, they have the same specs. So I am waiting to see if I can see pictures of the Internet product, so I can see if it is really the same stuff.

sponsored links

948 views & 1 like for this thread
LP 800x and elinchrom masterRX
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.