Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
Thread started 21 Mar 2019 (Thursday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND oingyboingybob (showing now: oingyboingybob)
Overall Rating3
Overall Image Quality7
Value for Money2.5
Must Haven/a
not rated
Suitability to Intended Usen/a
not rated
Got What I Expected1
AF Performance2.5
Handling and Ergonomics5
User-interface5.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS R

Canon EOS R, reviewed by oingyboingybob

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Gallery: 411 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by LoneRider.

Mar 30, 2019 15:53 |  #16

oingyboingybob wrote in post #18837468 (external link)
Maybe so, but I get the same issue with the Tamron 45m. Also agreed is with turning Peripheral Illum off the issue is gone but that's not really the point.

You will get it with many Tamron lenses if you have auto corrections turned on. I can attest to the 34mm, 45mm, 85mm, 24-70mm.

Not sure if it happens with Sigma lenses as I don’t have any. Regardless, that is a Len issue, not a camera issue and as previously noted the 5D IV has the same issue.

Canon is in the business of making cameras that work with Canon lenses, not third party lenses. Your complaint is with Tamron for not being “compatible”. You could tell them about it, but they already are aware of the issue and have yet to resolve it.

Very simple to turn in camera correction off and apply the correction in PS or LR.

As for focus and IQ issues, hard to say why you had that experience as it is certainly the opposite of most everyone else. May have been a defective unit, or ???

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Cano EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

sponsored links
CallumRD1
426 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 30, 2019 19:25 |  #17

The OP has repeatedly decried the EOS R as having poorer image quality than other Canon full frame cameras, notably the 5D IV, but hasn't described what differences he's seeing in any detail whatsoever. What is so much poorer in the EOS R than in the 5D IV? I've found loads of reviews full of sample photos and test charts that rate the EOS R sensor as essentially identical to the 5D IV in every way but no reviews that show the image quality as being vastly inferior to the rest of the Canon range.

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 30, 2019 21:16 as a reply to  @ CallumRD1's post |  #18

Any former USMC/USN Aviation folks here? “A799” on the VIDS/MAF ring a bell?

Wayne...

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,866 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 31, 2019 06:23 |  #19

CallumRD1 wrote in post #18837669 (external link)
The OP has repeatedly decried the EOS R as having poorer image quality than other Canon full frame cameras, notably the 5D IV, but hasn't described what differences he's seeing in any detail whatsoever. What is so much poorer in the EOS R than in the 5D IV? I've found loads of reviews full of sample photos and test charts that rate the EOS R sensor as essentially identical to the 5D IV in every way but no reviews that show the image quality as being vastly inferior to the rest of the Canon range.

I had 5D4 for 6 months and have had the R for 3 months.
I think image quality is very similar. The one area the 5D4 is superior is for lifting shadows in post processing.
It's not that the R is bad, more that the 5D4 is better.
Maybe if the 5D4 was only used in Liveview there would be no difference, ie the always on sensor of the R may be the cause.

Dave
Image editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,576 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 31, 2019 10:14 |  #20

CallumRD1 wrote in post #18837669 (external link)
The OP has repeatedly decried the EOS R as having poorer image quality than other Canon full frame cameras, notably the 5D IV, but hasn't described what differences he's seeing in any detail whatsoever. What is so much poorer in the EOS R than in the 5D IV?

What the OP said about the nferior image quality really concerned me. . I wanted to know very specifically what the differences were, yet he never gave any specific, detailed, objective observations.

When it comes to image quality, I am not interested in someone's feelings and impressions. . They are not useful to me. . What is useful are specific details so that I can assess how it will affect my needs, if I were to get the camera.

The way I see it, if you post to a photography forum saying that a camera model has inferior image quality than another model, you really should be able to describe the differences, and even show the differences by posting images that show the deficiencies. . That is what helps other people learn more about the camera being reviewed, and what to expect from it. . I guess I have that mindset that says, "if you say something, then you better be able to back it up with facts and evidence."

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by LoneRider.

Mar 31, 2019 11:18 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18837928 (external link)

What the OP said about the nferior image quality really concerned me. . I wanted to know very specifically what the differences were, yet he never gave any specific, detailed, objective observations.

When it comes to image quality, I am not interested in someone's feelings and impressions. . They are not useful to me. . What is useful are specific details so that I can assess how it will affect my needs, if I were to get the camera.

The way I see it, if you post to a photography forum saying that a camera model has inferior image quality than another model, you really should be able to describe the differences, and even show the differences by posting images that show the deficiencies. . That is what helps other people learn more about the camera being reviewed, and what to expect from it. . I guess I have that mindset that says, "if you say something, then you better be able to back it up with facts and evidence."

Judging by the pics being posted in the R thread I think you’d be hard pressed to place blame for any sort of “deficiency” on the camera...

I agree, the person making a claim bears the responsibility of proof rather than someone else having to disprove the claim.

Wayne...

elitejp
Goldmember
1,755 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 02, 2019 16:10 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #22

Kinda like how dxomark reviews sensors yet we have an abundance of people on these forums that for some reason want to disagree.
Or how we have many people talking about how canon colors are better yet in blind tests pick other cameras.

Honestly though in a personal camera review section this is what your going to get. The owner is going to tell how they feel about the camera more so than providing tests and charts with proofs and methodology.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,576 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2019 17:33 |  #23

elitejp wrote in post #18839236 (external link)
Kinda like how dxomark reviews sensors yet we have an abundance of people on these forums that for some reason want to disagree.
Or how we have many people talking about how canon colors are better yet in blind tests pick other cameras.

Honestly though in a personal camera review section this is what your going to get. The owner is going to tell how they feel about the camera more so than providing tests and charts with proofs and methodology.

I am not wanting people who post reviews to provide formal tests and charts or proofs or methodology. . I think that maybe that is a "straw man", because no one said they wanted anything that scientific or absolute.

What I would expect in a detailed personal review is that if someone is unhappy with the image quality of a camera, for them to tell us what it was, specifically, that they were displeased with. . And then they should be able to post an image or three showing us the problem(s), if asked to do so.

For example, if I were writing a review in which I was comparing my 50D to my 1D Mark 4, I would probably say that the 50D has poorer noise grain performance at all ISOs when shooting images with dark, out-of-focus background areas. . And then I'd say that if someone would like me to post examples from each camera, I'd be glad to dig up some images for them to see.

I think it's only reasonable to expect something like that. . Again, no one demanded charts and tests - you're the only one who said anything about that in this thread.

The right reason to write a review is to help others by giving them information about the camera. . Anecdotal information is helpful, if provided in a way that is meant to inform, rather than as just venting about something one is unhappy with.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

y2nicco
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 08, 2019 00:54 |  #24

OP - have you used the 6d mk I? That is my current camera and debating an upgrade to the R. I would opt for the IV, but not willing to spend that much. I know you said the IQ is not great compared to your experience with other FF cameras, but I see you have the 1dX and 5dIV. Thought I'd check!

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 08, 2019 07:08 |  #25

y2nicco wrote in post #18842142 (external link)
OP - have you used the 6d mk I? That is my current camera and debating an upgrade to the R. I would opt for the IV, but not willing to spend that much. I know you said the IQ is not great compared to your experience with other FF cameras, but I see you have the 1dX and 5dIV. Thought I'd check!

The 6D was my first FF camera. The R is a considerable upgrade. 6D was renowned for low light AF ability, R takes it a step further. 6D has been lambasted since day one over only having 11 focus points and just a single cross type point. The R has 5600+ focus points, no cross type. Cross type is not necessary in the R system. R focuses at f/11 top, bottom, left right. 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II and 2x TC? Not a problem, R nails focus anywhere in the frame (except extreme left/right edges)

In normal use, it will be quite rare to see any appreciable difference in IQ between the R and 5D4. Many folks believe they use the same sensor, Canon won’t say. OP has yet to provide any specifics on what he thought was inferior.

I had the 5D4 when I bought the R thinking I would keep both. Six weeks later I sold my 5D4. Where the 5D4 does excel is AFC frame rate and tracking faster moving subject. Folks seem to be doing ok shooting BIF with the R as well though.

Wayne...

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 08, 2019 12:16 |  #26

I will gladly trade the OP my 5D MK II for this EOS-R? I'm ready for an upgrade.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,003 posts
Joined May 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by RDKirk.

May 02, 2019 10:35 |  #27

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #18842390 (external link)
I will gladly trade the OP my 5D MK II for this EOS-R? I'm ready for an upgrade.

That's what I'm upgrading from.

At this point, I have been using a couple of 5D2 bodies for portrait work and a mixture of 70D and 80D cameras for multi-camera video interview work.

I bought an EOS R in the hope of being able to replace all of those cameras with a suitable hybrid for both purposes (notice: I never shoot professional sports nor do I plan to remake Avatar, so I don't need a camera with extreme capabilities in either direction ).

Knowing how I use the 70D and 80D cameras for video, the 5D4 would not suffice. For instance, when I've got cameras mounted high and to the sides, I need to be able to position the LCDs so that I can see them from odd angles.

Although the EOS R by its nature has some significant operational differences from those cameras, I'm finding it eminently capable for what I want to do with it. More significant than it being mirrorless is that Canon has made a significant change in direction in camera control concepts.

They've made a big leap in control customization that requires a user to spend a lot of time making modifications, living with them a while, and then making more modifications to develop a fully personalized camera. This means that most reviewer judgments about camera controls based on only a few hours or days of use are of little real value. I'm sure future EOS cameras will go even farther in that direction.

1stKnight
70 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 10, 2019 04:59 |  #28

oingyboingybob wrote in post #18837470 (external link)
I've no idea if the sensor is exactly the same..all I can say from my point of view is that the EOS R produces bland images. Others may disagree which is fine by me. I can't provide examples now as the eEOS R is gone. Overall I thinks it absolutely sucks.

I'm intrigued by your review...the language and tone are of deep disappointment and I'm sure for some Pro's, certain features it lacks could be seen as negatives depending upon what they shoot and their shooting needs, similarly if there is an expectation that the EOS R must be better than certain DSLR's in every way. But to suggest it produces bland images in isolation is, well, kinda bizarre given that it clearly doesn't...

You surely must have examples of the bland images you took or do you generally delete all History of anything taken with a camera you do not like? :-)

Andy Rouse and many other Pro's are producing anything but bland images. Posters on the EOS R pictures Thread are producing excellent, non-bland images. Why were yours bland? It is pretty obvious that the camera can produce great images so to say it "produces bland images" rather suggests the camera you had did so due to how you were using it or it was a faulty copy and therefore the general statement you made is incorrect.

I also wouldn't criticise a camera for its inability to work with 3rd Party products - that is down to the 3rd Party companies entirely.

It is a more affordable camera than the 5DIV and offers many advantages over the 6DMII so I believe the pricing is fine - given its feature-set and the fact that is does produce quite lovely images - obviously, photographer dependant, but then that is true of all cameras.

You can give a 1-series DSLR camera to my wife and she'll produce bland images. She has zero interest in photography. Is that the camera's fault? Nope.

Sure, some cameras gel with each of us better than others based upon various subjective opinions, handling and ergonomic preferences - hence why some prefer Canon to Nikon and vice versa etc. It is also true to say that photographers with greater skill will get more from less-capable cameras than others. But is the EOS R truly less capable than its FF stablemates in the image quality department in 'real World' use to the point that it is bland and "absolutely sucks" - excluding ridiculous pixel-peeping and computer programme stats? I just don't see that at all, not even taking into account personal subjectivity. It just isn't a bad camera, regardless of individual preferences. It might not work as you want it to, but it does for others and has proven it can produce wonderful pictures. Suck? No. Is it for you and absolutely everyone else? No, it won't appeal to everyone, no camera or product ever does. :-)

Canon EOS R (sold 5D Mark IV & 7D Mark II) with: RF 24-105 L IS, EF 100 2.8 L MACRO IS, EF 50 1.4, EF 100-400 L IS II, Speedlite 580 EX, EF 16-35 L, Sony RX100 VI

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,003 posts
Joined May 2004
Post edited 2 months ago by RDKirk.

May 24, 2019 13:26 |  #29

After using the camera for a while:

oingyboingybob wrote in post #18832607 (external link)
Negatives:
Inability to focus on certain subjects I guess due to few cross type focus points. As an example take a painting or photo in a frame on a wall.
The EOS R will focus nicely on the vertical edges of the frame but completely fails on the horizontal edges.

True complaint. The camera does not focus on horizontal lines, such as the slats of a Venitian blind. The Canon engineers claim the horizontal scans of the camera are fine enough that the slightest tilt should render lines focusable, but in my tests, it takes turning the camera 45 degrees. Fortunately, it's pretty rare that I ever have to focus on a subject that is nothing but horizontal lines. But this is true.

EDIT: The EOS R also does not focus as well on an amorphous surface as Canon DSLRs.

EVF appears nice but whenever the shutter is half-pressed to focus the image seen in the EVF flashes brightly before settling down - very distracting.

This occurs in Exposure Simulation mode when the exposure as set is more than about 1.5 stops underexposed (the viewfinder is dark). The EVF pops up the gain to focus clearly. When not in Exposure Simulation, the system maintains the EVF brightness continuously at what ought to be a correct exposure (even in a dark setting) so it doesn't need to pop up the gain to focus. Basic problem here is that nothing focuses well in the dark. If the exposure is properly set before focusing, this doesn't happen. If the intention is to have a dark image, it will happen.

The EF-EOS R adapter does not work well with 3rd party lenses at wide apertures - circle type vignetting appears as per the example attached and as I cannot afford the prices demanded for the majority of Canon RF lenses this anomaly is a big problem for me.

This is the Canon peripheral light correction setting that corrects lens vignetting according to the camera's lens data table. It happens with some 3rd party lenses that are not fully compliant with EF protocol. Other users report that their third party lenses work properly after being updated by the manufacturer (or using newer versions). This can be bypassed by going into the menu and turning off the Canon peripheral light correction.

The new multi-function bar is awful as it is very easy to inadvertently touch with your thumb changing whatever settings its set for. I turned mine off.

The multi-function bar comes with a setting that toggles it on and off, but many people (including myself) don't like that function because it takes a second of pressing the bar to make the toggle.

Instead, I have programmed the top panel Lock button to control only the multi-function bar. The Lock button is easy to find even when the camera is at the eye, and it works instantly. I have the multi-function bar set for White Balance.

IQ is not as good as it should be for a camera of this price.

It's cheaper than a 5DIV with the same image quality as an 5DIV

Canon-Chas
229 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 1 month ago by Canon-Chas with reason 'error'. (2 edits in all)

Jun 30, 2019 13:37 |  #30

I got an EOS R last week. For me it's basically a 5D4 with more toys, same great image quality with Canon prime lenses
I haven't had much opportunity to get out and about with it yet , but basically its a 5D4 as far as image quality is concerned i.e. excellent (same sensor) . Its smaller and lighter with similar Canon menu but controls /buttons are different. Each and every button can be configured to do anything you want which gives you great choices, I believe it's the most configurable camera there is so far. The electronic viewfinder (EVF) means what you see is what you get in the final image, and a histogram can be viewed in the EVF too which is useful. 8fps or around 4/5 in silent is perfect for 90 % of wildlife that I do but obviously not a 1dx ii for the other 10% ! I find it focuses as well as or better/quicker than 5D4 (no mirror) the EVF lag in rapid fire can put you off , but it's not a camera for action stuff same goes for 5D4. The silent shutter is quite strange but a very welcome addition for nervous wildlife. I would advise a battery grip too and the fastest SD card available . No need to micro adjust lenses either.ߑ
PS
it's possible firmware update will reduce EVF lag, Sony managed it on A9, hopefully Canon too..

PPS

It might be too much camera to handle for those who give bad reviews -?

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links

3,443 views & 43 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R, reviewed by oingyboingybob
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.