Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Apr 2019 (Thursday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade from Canon PRO-100

Kingnog
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 04, 2019 14:20 |  #1

I have a PRO-100 that I would like to "upgrade" to allow for larger printing (18x24" would be nice). My two questions are:

1. Besides larger format printing and pigment inks, are there any noticeable quality improvements in the more expensive printers vs. the PRO-100, which for my purposes is fantastic at 13x19"?

2. Can anyone recommend a "next step" printer for a hobbyist photographer?

Despite trying many online "Pro Labs" I have been never been happier with a print than when I printed it at home. I can get it to come out exactly how I want vs. the labs I have tried (MPIX came close).

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by AZGeorge.

Apr 04, 2019 22:17 |  #2

The PRO-100 is a good printer.

An upgrade to 18 wide is going to get you into the rarified air of large format. The Epson SureColor P6000 24" is well regarded, on the low end for initial purchase, and a set of cartridges costs less than most used cars.

That last is a hint that I have given up the care and feeding of a home photo printer.

I've had many printers but have much better results with MPix. Rather than depending on their always close and often spot on color correction I submit files without color correction. I still have an old Miller's Pro labs account and have used it maybe once or twice in the last year.

As soon as I chose MPix as go-to printer I submitted ten or twelve variations of the same file to determine which ones best matched what I was seeing on the monitor. That allowed me to calibrate my brain as well as the monitor.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

lacogada
318 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015

Apr 05, 2019 10:27 |  #3

AZGeorge wrote in post #18840438 (external link)
The PRO-100 is a good printer.

The Epson SureColor P6000 24" is well regarded, on the low end for initial purchase, and a set of cartridges costs less than most used cars.

:-):-):-)

As soon as I chose MPix as go-to printer I submitted ten or twelve variations of the same file to determine which ones best matched what I was seeing on the monitor. That allowed me to calibrate my brain as well as the monitor.

Good tip.

Kingnog
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 07, 2019 21:45 |  #4

OK, thank you for the tips. The more I look, the more I realize what I want would be very expensive.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,792 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 07, 2019 22:54 |  #5

Yea, you can get to 17" relatively inexpensively and print 16x24, but going above 17" is into a whole new ballgame. I find 16x24 good, but than the 2x3 aspect suits me. For 3x4 and 4x5, not so great.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 09, 2019 13:01 |  #6

I know we're talking about size, but if you have a chance to buy an inexpensive Pro-10 during a sale, you won't regret it. Same paper size but the refills are super simple and cheap using Precision colors.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 09, 2019 15:54 |  #7

ejenner wrote in post #18842074 (external link)
Yea, you can get to 17" relatively inexpensively and print 16x24, but going above 17" is into a whole new ballgame. I find 16x24 good, but than the 2x3 aspect suits me. For 3x4 and 4x5, not so great.

The jump to 17" in the long run is actually pretty much the saem cost to the user as going 24"
I knwo thsi first hand, and will once again caution that it's the inks that really matter.

I was in printing heaven when i first got my IP5000 17" printer. The best prints I had seen to date, and soooo many huge prints!

The honeymoon is over when the inks start to run out, and they do it all very close together.
The last time I did it, it was $850.00 to replace the full set!
It's over $400.00 if you DARE use off brand ink!
This is the same as the ink for the next step up, @ 24" wide,. so if I had it to do over, I would have gone 24"

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Kingnog
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by Kingnog.

Apr 09, 2019 20:02 |  #8

mikeinctown wrote in post #18843058 (external link)
I know we're talking about size, but if you have a chance to buy an inexpensive Pro-10 during a sale, you won't regret it. Same paper size but the refills are super simple and cheap using Precision colors.

The Pro-100 also has very inexpensive Precision Colors refills. Is there an advantage to the pigment version of Precision Colors refills?

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18843138 (external link)
The jump to 17" in the long run is actually pretty much the saem cost to the user as going 24"
I knwo thsi first hand, and will once again caution that it's the inks that really matter.

I was in printing heaven when i first got my IP5000 17" printer. The best prints I had seen to date, and soooo many huge prints!

The honeymoon is over when the inks start to run out, and they do it all very close together.
The last time I did it, it was $850.00 to replace the full set!
It's over $400.00 if you DARE use off brand ink!
This is the same as the ink for the next step up, @ 24" wide,. so if I had it to do over, I would have gone 24"

Are there no cheap refills available for larger format printers, like Precision Colors?

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 10, 2019 08:36 |  #9

Kingnog wrote in post #18843198 (external link)
The Pro-100 also has very inexpensive Precision Colors refills. Is there an advantage to the pigment version of Precision Colors refills?

Are there no cheap refills available for larger format printers, like Precision Colors?

Yes, the ease of which the refills are done is amazingly simple with the Pro-10 cartridges. The pigments are also an exact or as close to exact as one can come, and for the red they use the Canon ink. (does cost more) On the pro-10 cartridge there is a simple pad at the bottom. You get a small scale that can measure grams. (I have a Frankford Arsenal one from Amazon that was less than $30 that I use for reloading ammo that I also use for the cartridges) Set the cartridge on the scale and drip ink onto the pad. When the scale reads 32 grams you are done. There is no drilling tiny holes or using rubber caps or tape to seal anything and one does not have to wash the cartridge out prior to using new ink. You can drip the PC ink right into an OEM cartridge as soon as it runs low.

I believe they do Canon refills for the pro-1 and maybe the Pro-1000 but I am not sure about any of the large format machines.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 10, 2019 09:35 |  #10

Kingnog wrote in post #18843198 (external link)

As i mentioned, if you consider $400.00 "cheap".
I am sure you can do better than $400.00 if you are refilling cartridges, but the 3rd party cartridges I have seen were still very pricey.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,212 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 10, 2019 09:40 |  #11

Get the PRO-1000 and use a lab for larger UNLESS you print a lot and make money from the prints IMHO.

If you are a hobbyist making prints every so often then you might just consider staying with the PRO-100 (or PRO-10 if you want pigment).

Of course you might just have deep pockets... in that case buy whatever you wish and have a blast!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

644 views & 3 likes for this thread
Upgrade from Canon PRO-100
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.