Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Apr 2019 (Monday) 17:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Basic flash questions

shane_c
712 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 08, 2019 17:58 |  #1

I have a Nissin Di622 mark2 flash. I used to use it for flowers in the garden and for macro work. I've read Bryan Peterson's book about understanding flash and how to use shutter speed and aperture to affect the degree to what's lit up.

I haven't used the flash in about two years so feel pretty rusty with it. My family wants me to take some photos this weekend and my sister wants me to photograph her wedding this Fall.

I don't want to be messing around with settings for either case so am wondering what I should know about shooting the flash in auto. I typically shoot my camera in manual mode and according to the book that came with the flash I can shoot manual but have the flash as auto. I suppose the shutter speed and aperture would have the same effect as if the flash was in manual?..

I noticed if I put my camera in aperture mode and auto ISO that it stays at ISO 400 which sometimes causes too long of a shutter speed. Is there a way to have auto ISO work as normal in AV when using flash?

I was also reading about shooting flash with the camera in full auto (green square) but don't like the idea of the camera doing everything including focus points.

Any tips for a rusty flash user would be appreciated!

Canon 80D - Canon 15-85, Canon 24 & 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS)
G15
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,429 posts
Gallery: 450 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 08, 2019 20:12 |  #2

Tip one: Don't do your sister's wedding. Tell her to hire an experienced wedding photographer.

You're welcome.

That is all.

:-)

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 08, 2019 21:06 |  #3

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18842671 (external link)
Tip one: Don't do your sister's wedding. Tell her to hire an experienced wedding photographer.

You're welcome.

That is all.

:-)

Seems like good advice.

lol

I shoot manual camera and ETTL ceiling bounce with a smallish card for on the go stuff and like the results. Base exposure should be a little underexposed.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,055 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Apr 08, 2019 23:41 |  #4

The simply solution is

1. Pick your ISO and manually set it, one which accomodates #2
  2. Shutter speed no higher than X-sync speed, and use of a lens aperture which gives you ambient light exposure with DOF control that you wish (shallow vs. deep)
  3. then turn on xTTL flash in xTTL mode
  4. then aim and focus and shoot

Auto ISO behavior in your camera is confounding things for you, by setting itself for ISO 400 and then choosing a slow shutter speed.
There is no feature/control in Auto ISO which is likely to fix your issue, apart from (maybe in your camera model) being able to set a low shutter speed limit.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
731 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2017

Apr 08, 2019 23:53 |  #5

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18842689 (external link)
Seems like good advice.

lol

I shoot manual camera and ETTL ceiling bounce with a smallish card for on the go stuff and like the results. Base exposure should be a little underexposed.

This. Controlling your camera settings and use ttl is the best way to go.

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
712 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by shane_c.

Apr 09, 2019 03:04 as a reply to  @ ptcanon3ti's post |  #6

Good advice. I agree. :-)

Canon 80D - Canon 15-85, Canon 24 & 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS)
G15
My Instagram (external link)

inkista
658 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by inkista.

Apr 10, 2019 17:36 |  #7

shane_c wrote in post #18842601 (external link)
I have a Nissin Di622 mark2 flash. I used to use it for flowers in the garden and for macro work. I've read Bryan Peterson's book about understanding flash and how to use shutter speed and aperture to affect the degree to what's lit up.

That book sucks.

Just me, but do yourself a favor and hit Neil van Nierkerk's Tangents website (external link). If you like it, maybe grab his book, Direction and Quality of Light. I also like Syl Arena's Lighting for Digital Photography.

Also, on the 80D, there's a flash menu setting for Flash Synchronization speed in Av mode (external link). That may come in handy for the too-slow-shutter-speed situation.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sponsored links

655 views & 12 likes for this thread
Basic flash questions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.