Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 07 Apr 2019 (Sunday) 18:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just switched to Fuji

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2019 09:13 |  #16

soeren wrote in post #18842947 (external link)
I thought the importance of camera-subject-background distance relations where common knowledge.

It is..... many lenses can have nervous bokeh especially when foliage in the background. Portraits can vary as well as the selection of focal length and the perspective you want. This is where you can see when nervous bokeh rears it’s ugly head. Certain situations this happens and it will be evident when you chimp your image.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links
soeren
Whoops Im not updated
684 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2017

Apr 09, 2019 10:05 |  #17

AlanU wrote in post #18842964 (external link)
It is..... many lenses can have nervous bokeh especially when foliage in the background. Portraits can vary as well as the selection of focal length and the perspective you want. This is where you can see when nervous bokeh rears it’s ugly head. Certain situations this happens and it will be evident when you chimp your image.

Obviously not :)

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,626 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 09, 2019 12:27 |  #18

Welcome to the Fuji club! Jump over to the Fuji general thread, lots of great conversation regarding using the Fuji system over there.

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1263​626&page=1

And don't worry about AlanU, I think his intentions are good (I think), but he gets stuck on repeat quite often. We've all pretty much learned to shrug it off and move on. The XF 50-140mm is a fantastic lens, it's on my list.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2019 19:39 |  #19

OP, what system are you coming from?

I dig Fuji but then there's uncompromising fuji love. One's application and demands varies. If you lust for a Sigma 105mm f/1.4 or 135 f/1.8 it can be found in different systems. If you love small form factor and good quality primes and zooms the fuji is also a joy.

The beauty of gear is that it's just tools in the bag. Acquire anything at anytime to fill your needs.

When fuji drops the prices to appeal to users...the affordable 50-140mm is a great bang for the buck and adds versatility. Great IQ but I will disclose that it's not perfect either. Just noted for portraits the Fuji primes are much better. Ruffling feathers (LOL) isn't my intent yet I feel it erupts some insecurities to say such a thing. Again no lens is perfect nor is my GMaster 70-200 that never goes on sale. The GM is double the price of the Fuji 50-140mm (when on sale) yet even the GM exhibits nervous bokeh too. I keep it real and not here to preach fanboyism.

The 16mm f/1.4 and 56 f/1.2 is the only lenses that really keeps me with fuji for my fun camera.

If your a portrait guy the older gen 35 f/1.4 and 90mm should be a consideration. The 90mm will give you some nice compression. I like the subject/camera distance of the 56mm and it gives the IQ like an 85mm f/1.8 on FF.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
684 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by soeren. (2 edits in all)

Apr 09, 2019 22:13 |  #20

AlanU wrote in post #18843190 (external link)

I dig Fuji but then there's uncompromising fuji love. One's application and demands varies. If you lust for a Sigma 105mm f/1.4 or 135 f/1.8 it can be found in different systems. If you love small form factor and good quality primes and zooms the fuji is also a joy.

The beauty of gear is that it's just toys in the bag. Acquire anything at anytime to fill your needs.

When fuji drops the prices to appeal to users...the affordable 50-140mm is a great bang for the buck and adds versatility. Great IQ but I will disclose that it's not perfect either. Just noted for portraits the Fuji primes are much better. Ruffling feathers (LOL) isn't my intent yet I feel it erupts some insecurities to say such a thing. Again no lens is perfect nor is my GMaster 70-200 that never goes on sale. The GM is double the price of the Fuji 50-140mm (when on sale) yet even the GM exhibits nervous bokeh too. I keep it real and not here to preach fanboyism.

The 16mm f/1.4 and 56 f/1.2 is the only lenses that really keeps me with fuji for my fun camera.

If your a portrait guy the older gen 35 f/1.4 and 90mm should be a consideration. The 90mm will give you some nice compression. I like the subject/camera distance of the 56mm and it gives the IQ like an 85mm f/1.8 on FF.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by AlanU in
./showthread.php?p=188​43190&i=i215584706
forum: Changing Camera Brands

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by AlanU in
./showthread.php?p=188​43190&i=i40156773
forum: Changing Camera Brands

There, fixed that for you :lol:
The 80mm macro, though big and expensive, is another fenomenal lens.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,626 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited 7 months ago by EverydayGetaway. (2 edits in all)

Apr 09, 2019 23:04 |  #21

AlanU wrote in post #18843190 (external link)

:rolleyes:

If "ruffling feathers" wasn't your intent, why make a comment on the IQ of a lens the TS just bought in the first place?

You're the only person in this thread suggesting the OP should buy or do anything differently with his gear... why? Why not just let the OP enjoy what he just bought?

Back to the thread...

I second Kim's question, how is the new 16mm? I'd love to see some shots from it here on the forum :)

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
684 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Apr 10, 2019 01:07 |  #22

Regarding Bokeh. I have the theory that OIS plays a big role in how it renders. it really shows in images from the 80mm but can have a cool effect if you like something different.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 10, 2019 01:32 |  #23

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18843259 (external link)
:rolleyes:

If "ruffling feathers" wasn't your intent, why make a comment on the IQ of a lens the TS just bought in the first place?

You're the only person in this thread suggesting the OP should buy or do anything differently with his gear... why? Why not just let the OP enjoy what he just bought?

Back to the thread...

I second Kim's question, how is the new 16mm? I'd love to see some shots from it here on the forum :)

Everyday/Lucas....Disc​overing and understanding Fuji's eco system is a learning curve to a newcomer. In fact I can say the same for pretty much any brand.

Thank you for pointing out that I'm just providing suggestions in support of his new move to a different system. Sometimes carrying on and marching to the beat of your own drum may be costly in selecting the wrong tools for your intended application. For weddings a 16 f/1.4 is 1 stop faster with minimal hit in weight. 16 f/2.8 is a killer small form factor but for weddings a 16-55 f/2.8 will have bulk. However it greatly increases versatility while obtaining the same amount of light to the sensor.....etc etc.....granted possible increase in barrel distortion from the zoom.

Understanding the gear is crucial for a person paid for their work. In a nutshell informing that a Fuji prime lens is a "better" tool for portrait work is supportive information. Fuji primes is probably one of their best IQ in their system for portrait work. Informing the nature of a product (50-140mm) can exhibit nervous bokeh in some instances creates awareness. If this information ruffles feathers this implies pertinent info is denial of truth or not open minded that it exists. Then there is strong brand preference. I believe I'm allowing info to allow greater observation of how Fuji gear performs. There is no intent of creating friction or aggravating emotional attachment to the brand of gear. I've stated other 70-200 brands also exhibit nervous bokeh. In fact I can state this as I own them as well.

Enjoying gear and appreciating ergonomics is fine. For methodical business choices of gear for weddings and portraits redundancy is key. Tool selection to deliver the photog's style is also a factor.

no intentions to "ruffle feathers".

Fuji - gone

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,626 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 10, 2019 14:18 |  #24

AlanU wrote in post #18843298 (external link)
Everyday/Lucas....Disc​overing and understanding Fuji's eco system is a learning curve to a newcomer. In fact I can say the same for pretty much any brand.

Thank you for pointing out that I'm just providing suggestions in support of his new move to a different system. Sometimes carrying on and marching to the beat of your own drum may be costly in selecting the wrong tools for your intended application. For weddings a 16 f/1.4 is 1 stop faster with minimal hit in weight. 16 f/2.8 is a killer small form factor but for weddings a 16-55 f/2.8 will have bulk. However it greatly increases versatility while obtaining the same amount of light to the sensor.....etc etc.....granted possible increase in barrel distortion from the zoom.

Understanding the gear is crucial for a person paid for their work. In a nutshell informing that a Fuji prime lens is a "better" tool for portrait work is supportive information. Fuji primes is probably one of their best IQ in their system for portrait work. Informing the nature of a product (50-140mm) can exhibit nervous bokeh in some instances creates awareness. If this information ruffles feathers this implies pertinent info is denial of truth or not open minded that it exists. Then there is strong brand preference. I believe I'm allowing info to allow greater observation of how Fuji gear performs. There is no intent of creating friction or aggravating emotional attachment to the brand of gear. I've stated other 70-200 brands also exhibit nervous bokeh. In fact I can state this as I own them as well.

Enjoying gear and appreciating ergonomics is fine. For methodical business choices of gear for weddings and portraits redundancy is key. Tool selection to deliver the photog's style is also a factor.

no intentions to "ruffle feathers".

The problem is that you're post is inherently condescending.

Why do you assume that the TS has done no research before making the switch? He's clearly a photographer with some experience, I'm sure he understands how a zoom compares to a prime, or how a lens being 2 stops slower could be an issue when shooting weddings... most would call that common sense if you've been shooting for a while.

Nothing you've said is brand specific either... it's pretty widely accepted that primes and zooms have their own pros and cons, those pros and cons are largely the same regardless of what brand you're referring to (as you yourself pointed out).

But whatever, I should just defer to my first post... clearly it was accurate.

cug
140 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 11, 2019 11:19 |  #25

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18842944 (external link)
Perhaps you might describe the 'some backgrounds' you mentioned above Alan, I'd really like to see this for myself so I can learn to avoid using the lens in those situations.

It might just be me but I find the foreground rendering in your photo a good example for "suboptimal rendering". It would have been interesting to see, how the XF 90mm f/2 or the Canon 70-200 f/4 on a Canon FF body would have rendered this scene, as both of these are less prone to ugly rendering in my experience. I don't know whether it's a matter of OIS or the placement of aspherical elements or what, but the 16-55 (no OIS, so maybe not that), the 50-140 and the 80 are much more sensitive to background, forcusing distance and subject to background/foreground distance while the 35/1.4, 90/2 or 56/1.2 are much easier in this regard. I've even seen very ugly rendering from the 200/2.

Maybe it's because I use Fuji lenses more, but I have much less difficulties with the respective Canon equivalents, plus these are more flare resistant as well. It's certainly not an insurmountable problem, but it's well worth being aware of it. Plus some people see it, some don't. Some like "swirly bokeh", some don't.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Gallery: 344 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 11, 2019 11:41 as a reply to  @ cug's post |  #26

I'd have to go shoot something like that again at 90mm to get a comparison to see. I'm totally fine with that rendering & the level of detail it offers, considering the low sun casting shadows on the ruff ground anyway. Might get round to it this weekend as I've been shooting/editing all week it'd be nice to get out and shoot something just for me. See if I can get that rendering going on, not that I'll be shooting any canon lenses  :p

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
684 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by soeren.

Apr 12, 2019 00:45 |  #27

cug wrote in post #18843894 (external link)
It might just be me but I find the foreground rendering in your photo a good example for "suboptimal rendering". It would have been interesting to see, how the XF 90mm f/2 or the Canon 70-200 f/4 on a Canon FF body would have rendered this scene, as both of these are less prone to ugly rendering in my experience. I don't know whether it's a matter of OIS or the placement of aspherical elements or what, but the 16-55 (no OIS, so maybe not that), the 50-140 and the 80 are much more sensitive to background, forcusing distance and subject to background/foreground distance while the 35/1.4, 90/2 or 56/1.2 are much easier in this regard. I've even seen very ugly rendering from the 200/2.

Maybe it's because I use Fuji lenses more, but I have much less difficulties with the respective Canon equivalents, plus these are more flare resistant as well. It's certainly not an insurmountable problem, but it's well worth being aware of it. Plus some people see it, some don't. Some like "swirly bokeh", some don't.

And OIS action, look at the petals OOF closest to camera. @ 1:1 and 1/120 sec shutterspeed its working hard here.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 7 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Apr 14, 2019 08:25 |  #28

Walked out the back of the house and snapped a few shots, similar to the one above, with the 50-140 and the 90/2. These are out of camera jpegs, no editing done.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 7 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Apr 14, 2019 08:26 |  #29

And the 90/2 at f/2. Not a lot of difference between the shots to my eyes, the rendering of the 50-140 looks about the same as the 90/2 when they both are at f/2.8, what you think?

HOSTED PHOTO

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,260 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 14, 2019 10:36 |  #30

Oh no, woooooorrrrrrmmmmmmsss​sss!!!!!

:-P

(Yep, pretty much identical to me too)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

6,439 views & 86 likes for this thread
I just switched to Fuji
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.