Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

timd35
214 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 15, 2019 14:30 |  #3811

Menelaus wrote in post #18846041 (external link)
Curious how you were able to take your camera with you to a game, would love to do this before they move out of Globe Life.

Yea, I was wanting to go to a couple games this year as well since this is the last year they will be in that stadium. I saw several games the first year they were in it and hope to see a couple more games before the season is gone and the prices rise in the new stadium. :-(

'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
—Albert Einstein
http://timdahlphotogra​phy.com

sponsored links
MichSt
Goldmember
1,015 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 15, 2019 16:25 |  #3812

Loving the RF 35 and R combo. Even wifey can use it :-P :-P

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/Small-Animals-Day-2019/i-QBtBJMc/0/458c82eb/XL/2019-04-13_SmallAnimalsDay_106-XL.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/Fredrick-Meijer-Garderns-2019/i-BsHWPnn/0/29f6d6bf/XL/2019-04-07_FredrickMeijerGarderns_164-XL.jpg

Mario.Q

Canon EOS R

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,650 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 15, 2019 19:13 as a reply to  @ post 18845904 |  #3813

Thank you

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

y2nicco
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 15, 2019 23:47 as a reply to  @ MichSt's post |  #3814

have you found any downsides? I am debating this lens. I am already using an EF adapter, so wondering if the RF is better than the f/2 EF.

nardes
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Gallery: 335 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2019 00:44 |  #3815

We visited the Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens and the resident pair of Australasian Grebes put on a nice show.:-)

I used a splash of on-camera flash as the birds were in deep shade and backlit.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

nardes
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Gallery: 335 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2019 04:02 |  #3816

Here are examples of when the 1-Point AF on the EOS R "missed the mark" and appeared to lock on the very bright, specular BG and then when it did appear to lock on the eye of the Grebe. These are both 100% crops, Raw SOC images as displayed in Canon DPP V4.

The Red Square depicting the Single AF Point is the Canon DPP V4 representation of the size and position of the Single AF Point - I wonder how closely this software representation matches the actual pixels used for the actual AF Point?

Cheers

Dennis

1-Point AF - MISSED

HOSTED PHOTO

1-Point AF - SUCCESS

HOSTED PHOTO

MichSt
Goldmember
1,015 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 16, 2019 05:59 |  #3817

y2nicco wrote in post #18846270 (external link)
have you found any downsides? I am debating this lens. I am already using an EF adapter, so wondering if the RF is better than the f/2 EF.

Yes. The RF extends when focusing, especially in the macro range. It reminds me of the old 35f2 non-is or 50 1.4. The R will focus it to infinity when you turn off the camera which retracts the barrel. But if I’m not turning off the camera, I try to refocus so the barrel is retracted, since it seems vulnerable when extended. The EF lens focuses internally and does not extend.

This is purely opinion, but I would say focusing is slightly slower and noisier with the RF lens. Probably because of the macro. But it doesn’t really impact my use or video. Just something I noticed.

Again just opinion but I would say image quality is pretty similar between the two. The RF is smaller in size. Like the f2 IS went on a diet. Makes a big difference especially when the adapter is added to the EF lens.

Mario.Q

Canon EOS R

A1original
Goldmember
2,047 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 16, 2019 09:33 |  #3818

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS R|Canon RF 24-105L|Canon 6D griped|Canon 7D II griped| Canon 7D griped| and a bunch of Canon L lenses
https//www.flickr.com/photos/​iseiler (external link) Ira “No one here gets out alive”

A1original
Goldmember
2,047 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 16, 2019 09:51 |  #3819

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS R|Canon RF 24-105L|Canon 6D griped|Canon 7D II griped| Canon 7D griped| and a bunch of Canon L lenses
https//www.flickr.com/photos/​iseiler (external link) Ira “No one here gets out alive”

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2019 12:47 |  #3820

A couple of R shots today...

Our kitty basking in the sun..

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from LoneRider's gallery.

My collection of flashlights - my wife thinks I have too many. Need to find a way to make money with them, that’s what got her to quit complaining about all my camera stuff... Anyone need a Freelance Flashlighter???

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Cano EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

chuckmiller
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 16, 2019 12:51 |  #3821

LoneRider wrote in post #18846550 (external link)
...My collection of flashlights -

I'm fairly certain I have a couple of those.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 16, 2019 13:26 |  #3822

That looks like a forest.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2019 13:39 |  #3823

LonelyBoy wrote in post #18846579 (external link)
That looks like a forest.

They do a good job of lighting one up in the dark... ;-)a

Wayne...

CallumRD1
376 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 16, 2019 14:10 |  #3824

MichSt wrote in post #18846361 (external link)
Yes. The RF extends when focusing, especially in the macro range. It reminds me of the old 35f2 non-is or 50 1.4. The R will focus it to infinity when you turn off the camera which retracts the barrel. But if I’m not turning off the camera, I try to refocus so the barrel is retracted, since it seems vulnerable when extended. The EF lens focuses internally and does not extend.

This is purely opinion, but I would say focusing is slightly slower and noisier with the RF lens. Probably because of the macro. But it doesn’t really impact my use or video. Just something I noticed.

Again just opinion but I would say image quality is pretty similar between the two. The RF is smaller in size. Like the f2 IS went on a diet. Makes a big difference especially when the adapter is added to the EF lens.

Size is one of the reasons that I picked up the RF 35mm over an EF 35mm. The macro feature on the RF 35mm is also really nice to have for when I don't have my 100mm macro with me. The extra third of a stop over the EF 35mm is just a bonus, as far as I'm concerned. I've added a picture of how significant the size difference between these two is when they're both mounted to the EOS R. The EF 35mm is also 30g heavier than the RF 35mm on top of the 100g that the mount adapter adds.

(generated from https://camerasize.com …t/#799.790,799.​368.5,ha,t (external link) )

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 1 month ago by LoneRider.

Apr 16, 2019 14:58 |  #3825

Received the EF-R adapter with CPL filter. Great deal via the Classifieds from member nikhilnh for $190 shipped.

Slapped it on my Tamron 85mm for a couple of quick test shots and all seems good. Nice and easy to adjust while framing with the thumb wheel falling naturally for my left hand while supporting the lens.

Nothing special, just a dirty water fountain to test the filter...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...

sponsored links

411,179 views & 9,375 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.